Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) fluid (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/electro-hydraulic-power-steering-ehps-fluid-70707.html)

BobT 01-22-2014 06:41 AM

Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) fluid

Just noticed that the power steering fluid was below Min. I'll have to check for leaks when I get back from my next trip but in the meantime I need to top it up. It seems the V8s have traditional belt driven power steering whereas the V6s have EHPS. While the V8s can use fairly standard ATF, the V6s need to use a fancier fluid. EHPS fluid needs to withstand higher temperatures while maintaining fluidity at very low temperatures. It's pretty hard to get although I understand dealerships of European cars carry it. So I took myself off the Jeep stealer to get some. After much head scratching and punching into a computer, they handed me a small Mopar bottle. I read MS-9602... wrong! Thatís for belt driven power steering. It needs to be MS-11655. "Oh, the electric one!" he said. More punching into the computer. "We are out of stock but I can get some in tomorrow". To bad if one was having a service done and needed a power steering top-up.

I was quoted $28.50 for a 16oz (~1/2 ltr) bottle. It goes for about $11USD in the States. Not worth importing at that price. So Mopar it is. I wonder what Merc and BMW are charging?

Swampy 01-22-2014 07:44 AM

Re: Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) fluid

If it is only one top up then I wouldn't be to concerned. I had to top mine up not long after the car is new, but have only had to do it once. I am not sure why, but I suspect that maybe there are some bubbles somewhere in the system that slowly work their way out.

If you have a good relationship with your dealer service centre, I am sure they would top it up for you. After all, it's probably something they should have noticed at the last service.

However, if topping up is a regular event then that could be a warranty issue.

BobT 01-23-2014 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swampy (Post 963580)
If it is only one top up then I wouldn't be to concerned. I had to top mine up not long after the car is new, but have only had to do it once. I am not sure why, but I suspect that maybe there are some bubbles somewhere in the system that slowly work their way out.

If you have a good relationship with your dealer service centre, I am sure they would top it up for you. After all, it's probably something they should have noticed at the last service.

However, if topping up is a regular event then that could be a warranty issue.

Thanks Swampy! I hope mine is the same, just a once off.

Actually I'm kind of glad they didn't pick it up at the service. Considering they didn't have a stock of elctro-hydraulic fluid, I wouldn't have put it past them to slurp in a bit of the standard stuff.

Anyway, I got a bottle of the correct fluid, 473ml (1 US pint). It's labelled "ELECTRIC STEERING PUMP FLUID" Mopar part#68088485AA. The ordinary stuff doesn't have the word "ELECTRIC" in it. There is an ominous warning on the bottle that states,
"Severe electrical power steering pump damage may result if a different fluid is used".
Perhaps it's just an arse covering statement but I don't like the sound of the word "severe".

adamt 01-23-2014 06:37 PM

Hi Bob,

You might want to check if the rubber boots on the rack are wet with fluid, I found mine was on the left hand side and they replaced the rack.
Apparently it is a common problem.

Cheers

BobT 01-26-2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamt (Post 964439)
Hi Bob,

You might want to check if the rubber boots on the rack are wet with fluid, I found mine was on the left hand side and they replaced the rack.
Apparently it is a common problem.

Cheers

Thanks! Will do when I get back from hols. Actually I recall seeing a bit of wetness some time ago but didn't think it worth worrying about at the time. I'll check if there is a TSB out on this.