Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Cherokee-KL (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/)
-   -   Do you have to have UConnect to have GPS (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/do-you-have-to-have-uconnect-to-have-gps-70759.html)

Dave E 01-23-2014 01:16 PM

Do you have to have UConnect to have GPS

Am thinking about the factory GPS. I have 6 month free but will not pay for U Connect, so will it work after the 6 months

Northland 01-23-2014 02:21 PM

Re: Do you have to have UConnect to have GPS

No, you do not have to subscribe to UConnect to get GPS - just make sure you get the RA4/nav model and you'll have free GPS for the life of the vehicle, but map updates will cost you if you ever want those. (And this post is presuming that the systems offered in the Cherokee are the same as those available in the GC.)

Dave E 01-23-2014 04:49 PM

Any idea what the dealer charges

clew 01-23-2014 08:04 PM

The 8.4an comes with nav, 8.4a can be upgraded to nav. Uconnect subscription isn't required. Haven't seen any info on map update pricing yet.

Dave E 01-24-2014 10:42 AM

Called dealer $595.00 I can buy two nice external units for that.

clew 01-24-2014 12:30 PM

Yeah, that's the cost to add nav to the 8.4a. Not the map updates.

chucksc 01-24-2014 03:55 PM

But - Dealers will deal on the update.. My daughter just bought a Cherokee and had the nav. added to her 8.4a - Dealer split the cost with her and charged her $300. not so bad at that price IMO.

baccwrw 02-03-2014 04:07 PM

Hi, I am told that the map updates are going to be $149.00. It took me about 3 weeks to find this out. Navteq says new ones may be out in March. The date file in my unit is 10/26/2012.

AquaForester 05-31-2014 07:12 AM

My NAV in my 8.4AN is totally useless. It takes me down every side street even on long trips for example going down Interstate 95. I've tried every setting and same thing. Does anyone else have this problem. Right now I'm using my iphone w/google maps which to me is unbeatable. I only use my NAV for a larger map view to see what's coming up. :(

Northland 05-31-2014 09:11 AM

Go out to your Jeep right now and start a route to anywhere - options will come up for either "Fastest" or "Shortest" route. I'll bet it's currently set to "Shortest". Choose "Fastest"; that will default it to that option for future routes and should solve the problem.

Jeepster910 05-31-2014 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaForester (Post 1030332)
My NAV in my 8.4AN is totally useless. It takes me down every side street even on long trips for example going down Interstate 95. I've tried every setting and same thing. Does anyone else have this problem. Right now I'm using my iphone w/google maps which to me is unbeatable. I only use my NAV for a larger map view to see what's coming up. :(

The first thing you need to do is get the manual on this Navigation system.
Then Read the manual even though you will not understand most of it at the time of reading.
Then go out to your Cherokee with the manual, sit in the Cherokee, get the navigation up and running and play with the settings and parameters of it.
You will begin to understand ALL the capabilities of this system. There are a lot.
There is under settings, a function you can turn on speed watch.
It will remind you if you go over the speed limit. That can be adjusted to like 5/10 over the limit.

But you do need to read the manual. Once you learn the system it will be unbeatable. There are a lot of options available that can be confusing.
You just have to be patient and stick with it.
Good Luck:)

AquaForester 05-31-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northland (Post 1030377)
Go out to your Jeep right now and start a route to anywhere - options will come up for either "Fastest" or "Shortest" route. I'll bet it's currently set to "Shortest". Choose "Fastest"; that will default it to that option for future routes and should solve the problem.

Thanks, unfortunately it's on "Fastest". In addition I have no avoidance checked and still seems to want to take me on the scenic route.