Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Cutting Stock Springs (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/cutting-stock-springs-70760.html)

Fght On 01-23-2014 01:16 PM

Cutting Stock Springs

Anyone have any experience with cutting springs? I'm trying to figure out how much I want to cut. I put on Eibachs and it didn't drop the truck even a CM. I found a reputable shop that will cut my stock springs, but I'm not sure how to determine how much to cut on the spring - if I want an inch lower, does that equate to taking an inch off the spring?

A-kon 01-23-2014 04:56 PM

Re: Cutting Stock Springs

When did you put your Eibachs on? If they didn't cycle the suspension/clock the bushings it will sit high for a while. I had that problem. Everytime it goes on a lift and the wheels hang it starts all over again.

Regarding the general drop, I still haven't gotten the advertised drop. I'm probably going to contact Eibach. My guess is they developed the kit on a brand new SRT. My factory SRT suspension settled quite a bit over the first few thousand miles.

Scottina06 01-23-2014 05:20 PM

I got more than the advertised drop on my eibachs

A-kon 01-23-2014 05:55 PM

What are your ground to fender measurements again?

Fght On 01-23-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A-kon (Post 964384)
When did you put your Eibachs on? If they didn't cycle the suspension/clock the bushings it will sit high for a while. I had that problem. Everytime it goes on a lift and the wheels hang it starts all over again.

Regarding the general drop, I still haven't gotten the advertised drop. I'm probably going to contact Eibach. My guess is they developed the kit on a brand new SRT. My factory SRT suspension settled quite a bit over the first few thousand miles.

So how do you cycle the suspension/clock the bushings?

I've had them on for prob a month, my problem is I drive less than 200 miles a month. I put new wheels and tires on at the same time so the fender height to ground might not be relevant, but according to stock measurements I only dropped less than a 1/2 inch in both front and back and even gained in fender gap (I haven't vetted stock fender gap w same measurement points yet)

Fght On 01-23-2014 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A-kon (Post 964414)
What are your ground to fender measurements again?

Fender to ground is about 31.5 F and 33 R.

A-kon 01-24-2014 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fght On (Post 964442)
So how do you cycle the suspension/clock the bushings?

I've had them on for prob a month, my problem is I drive less than 200 miles a month. I put new wheels and tires on at the same time so the fender height to ground might not be relevant, but according to stock measurements I only dropped less than a 1/2 inch in both front and back and even gained in fender gap (I haven't vetted stock fender gap w same measurement points yet)

Instead of me butchering it, here is a good place to read:

Timing Bushings when lowering (How to) - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

A-kon 01-24-2014 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fght On (Post 964444)
Fender to ground is about 31.5 F and 33 R.

That's about what I'm running on average. My fronts fluctuates like crazy, but we haven't timed/clocked the bushings and cycle the suspension in the front. After the drag strip last Friday my car was sitting about 1" higher in the front for about an hour.

Scott what are your measurements ground to fender?

Scottina06 01-24-2014 10:51 AM

31 1/8" and 32 3/4"

Fght On 01-24-2014 12:21 PM

thanks A-kon, great link! I will have to check w my shop to see if the bushings were clocked. If I could get the rear to drop another 1/2 inch I'd be totally stoked!

BTW, how do you "officially" thank a post?

Scottina06 01-24-2014 12:23 PM

you have to be a premium member to have that option

A-kon 01-24-2014 12:26 PM

happy to help. I also haven't figured out how to thank a post here...and I am a premium member

I am returning back to the alignment shop tomorrow morning with instructions in hand. I'm going to have them do front and rear again with me overseeing it. I'm also not leaving until my ****ing steering wheel is straight.