Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/)
-   -   EVIC "Service Electronic Throttle Control" (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/evic-service-electronic-throttle-control-70762.html)

Buckle10 01-23-2014 01:42 PM

EVIC "Service Electronic Throttle Control"

I live southern MN and It has been cold up here this winter. Yesterday morning I got in my Limited 4X4 CRD after unplugging the block heater and started it. It turned over right away but the check engine light came on and the EVIC displayed something like "Service Electronic Throttle Control." Instead of getting on the road to my destination I headed to the dealership. When I accelerated out of the driveway I quickly realized the Jeep would not shift any higher then 3rd gear, I could only drive about 20 mph. They were only able to look at the vehicle last night for the first time (no appt) and the tech said that he thought all he needs to do is "flash a software update", but he was waiting to hear back fro the engineers at Jeep to verify. This AM after 6 emails to the engineers and changing the DEF tank (more then a software update) they took it out for a drive and when they got back they checked it for codes again and now they have different code that they need to send to the engineers at Jeep.

Fortunately, I did find out that the inability to shift higher than third gear was related to the vehicle operating in a "safe mode" , but pretty bummed out right now. I have only had the GCR for 23 days. The loaner I am using is a 2012 Rav 4, its a 3 speed too :)

Raven 01-23-2014 11:15 PM

Re: EVIC "Service Electronic Throttle Control"

It's funny, Chrysler has a policy that all loaners and rental cars are to be Chrysler products.

iboughtajeep 01-25-2014 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 964569)
It's funny, Chrysler has a policy that all loaners and rental cars are to be Chrysler products.

Id like a copy of that policy.

Buckle10 01-25-2014 01:48 PM

I misspoke, it was a rental. The dealership had all loaner out and got the last vehicle at the second rental company called.

So, the Jeep is back in working order. They did not change the DEF as originally informed, but only inspected. They cleared the codes, P24C2, P204F, U1424 and updated the software. Then they took it for a test drive and after the Jeep set code P05F8, which is a software glitch in which they are working on a fix. Fix is due in a month.

Trigger 01-28-2014 05:02 PM

I just fired mine up after sitting for 2 days through this cold snap and have the same code set and a U1424 code. Ill see how it does on the road and try clearing the code, I dont have the time to bring to the dealer until the weekend.

Buckle10 01-28-2014 06:54 PM

It happened to me again on Sunday. Brought it in this time and the same codes were applied. The engineers at Jeep now say that the software glitch is caused by use of the block heater. I was told they will have a software fix for it in 2-3 weeks and to not use my block heater until i have the software installed.

Trigger 01-28-2014 07:03 PM

That does work for my scenario. I had the block heater on it. Unplugged it then started it up and the code set. Did they tell you what the description of the code was?

DblHelix 01-29-2014 12:22 AM

Had the same EVIC "Service Electronic Throttle Control" message and similar shifting limitations. While driving down the highway. It kept me in 8th gear. Power was limited wouldn't go above 2k rpm wouldn't down shift until I exited and can to a stop and it started me out in 3rd. Pulled over and shut her off. Upon restart no shifting limitation but check engine light on. No block heater involved 50 degree temp outside.

Buckle10 01-29-2014 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trigger (Post 967005)
That does work for my scenario. I had the block heater on it. Unplugged it then started it up and the code set. Did they tell you what the description of the code was?

No, unfortunately I did not have time to go over the codes in detail.

The " Service Electronic Throttle Control" and subsequent limited shifting/RPM/speed occurs for the series of codes set, the throttle control is a safe mode or limp mode. It allows you to operate the vehicle very slowly to the nearest dealership. The electronic throttle control is not the problem with the Jeep, but a response to certain codes being set in the Jeep.

Trigger 01-29-2014 09:48 AM

I figured the throttle message was a general message for going into safe mode. I can't find any info on the p24c2 code online but all of the p24xx codes generally indicate something in the exhaust. The u1424 code is engine torque implausible. The only odd thing I noticed when looking over the freeze frame data before bringing it in was that boost was at 12psi when the code set on start up.

Hopefully I hear something from the dealer shortly today

Trigger 01-31-2014 12:44 PM

Def heater relay was the failure according to the dealer for anyone interested. Part is on national back order, won't have my jeep back until Monday.

dsears00 01-31-2014 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trigger (Post 968517)
Def heater relay was the failure according to the dealer for anyone interested. Part is on national back order, won't have my jeep back until Monday.

Do you know if the relay is a design/quality control issue or if you just happen to have a bad one? I haven't plugged my block heater in yet, but was about to the last few days before I read this.