Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   5.7L Hemi oil guzzler (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/5-7l-hemi-oil-guzzler-70811.html)

Steven Bondar 01-24-2014 02:34 PM

5.7L Hemi oil guzzler

I've got a 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland with 46,000 km on her now. The recommended oil change intervals are 13,000 km and I have no idea how these things would ever make it that far without adding oil. Looks like i'm down to about a liter of oil every 3,600 km does this sound right?? I just booked it in for service today and they said as long as its not burning 1 liter per 1,000 miles they cant do anything about it. So every 1,600 km or better per liter of oil Chrysler is totally happy with that??? After paying 55k + for a new vehicle sounds like a big load of BS to me. This is my first Chrysler product and with all the GM vehicles, Fords or VW's IO have owned I have never seen such a poor oil consumption before. And It just seems to be getting worse. below are the oil change intervals I have done.

8,519 KM end of dipstick. understandable as engine was just breaking in
13,806 KM first service interval and had the oil changed.
26010 KM end of dipstick again but made it 12,204 km
35,069 KM end of dipstick again, oil change now down to 9,059 KM
40,400 KM end of dipstick only made 5,331 KM so I changed the oil
44,400 KM end of dipstick out again now I just added 1 liter made it 3,600 KM

If this keeps up I'll be adding a liter of oil per fill up of gas!! It's not leaking any oil so its burning it somehow and yet the dealership wont even investigate cuz its not burning more than a liter per 1,600 km!!

Is anyone else having this kind of poor performance?? Also on a side note I have noticed that after the jeep has sat overnight and is parked uphill sometimes it blows a big plume of blue smoke. I found there is a TSB for this issue and I have brought it to 2 different dealerships in Calgary and they will not fix it unless they can replicate it. So it has been overnight twice now and still they cant duplicate it even with TSB in hand however they have not been able to elevate the vehicle overnight, in which they try and duplicate it on flat ground in which case it never smokes then.

JoeD 01-24-2014 04:52 PM

Re: 5.7L Hemi oil guzzler

The Hemi likes oil, just like gas. It's normal and it seems very common even when in the other applications, Ram trucks, Chargers and so on.
The PCV system seems to be where most of the oil goes to.

13ovsummit 01-24-2014 06:05 PM

^^^ - Yup - agree. 3 quarts added in 8,000 miles for example.

silvermax04 01-24-2014 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13ovsummit (Post 965026)

3 quarts in 8000? that sounds like a lot. guess I should not be concerned about a half quart at 3000. I am just not use to cars using any between oil changes guess I need to adjust to the hemi

Brett 01-28-2014 04:46 AM

I had the same problem recently after starting to park my hemi on a fairly steep incline. I noticed the smoke after startup, and over a period of time this coincided with increased oil consumption.
Now I make sure to park it on level ground again, and the oil consumption is much, much, less (and no smoke on startup).

I intend to try to get my dealer to apply the TSB too - you should probably try another dealer!

13ovsummit 01-28-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13ovsummit (Post 965026)

And ... this was with the jeep always parked on level ground.

*sox* 01-28-2014 10:52 PM

this are not normaly, which oil you use?

neiltb 01-29-2014 08:44 AM

I love that the dealership cannot replicate, if only they had some device available that they could use to raise the front of the truck overnight. If someone invented this, you could even have it 'lift' the whole vehicle to aid with maintenance of items under the truck!

That idea is mine, time stamped on the internet.

lstowell 01-29-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvermax04 (Post 965031)
3 quarts in 8000? that sounds like a lot. guess I should not be concerned about a half quart at 3000. I am just not use to cars using any between oil changes guess I need to adjust to the hemi

You might want to consider a catch can.

Think of the hemi as similar to an old Jag engine... you get more worried when it QUITS consuming oil.

silvermax04 01-29-2014 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 967344)
You might want to consider a catch can.

Think of the hemi as similar to an old Jag engine... you get more worried when it QUITS consuming oil.

I am not very familiar with the whole catch can thing. So i am going to loose the oil either way right regaurdless if it goes into the catch can or dumps into the engine though the PCV. Just better for the engine to loose it into the catch can instead correct?

The Evil Twin 01-29-2014 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvermax04 (Post 967352)
I am not very familiar with the whole catch can thing. So i am going to loose the oil either way right regaurdless if it goes into the catch can or dumps into the engine though the PCV. Just better for the engine to loose it into the catch can instead correct?

Yes. Without the can it dumps into the intake and burns off in the combustion chambers. The can traps it. There are folks here that have dumped the catch can half way through the oil change to be sure it does not fill completely.
FWIW, I have yet to lose more than half a quart or so between changes. However, my changes are around 5000 miles because I only drive it a couple days a week. So I end up changing on a time interval.

13ovsummit 01-29-2014 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *sox* (Post 967129)
this are not normaly, which oil you use?

AMSOIL Signature 5W-20 (fully synthetic).