Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/)
-   -   Diesel reliability for short trips (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/diesel-reliability-for-short-trips-70814.html)

maw262 01-24-2014 03:17 PM

Diesel reliability for short trips
 
How well does the ecodiesel perform if it is primarily used for city driving? I drive about 12,000 miles per year and 75% of the miles are in the city and my speed rarely goes above 45. Should I be concerned about DPF and other emissions equipment failures?

fun2drive 01-24-2014 04:16 PM

Re: Diesel reliability for short trips
 
You are going to use a lot more DEF but I think that is it. If you look at FedEx and UPS they all drive diesels and have for as long as I can remember and get long life out of them which are driven a lot of stop and go...

nautiboy 01-24-2014 04:47 PM

Re: Diesel reliability for short trips
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fun2drive (Post 964971)
You are going to use a lot more DEF but I think that is it. If you look at FedEx and UPS they all drive diesels and have for as long as I can remember and get long life out of them which are driven a lot of stop and go...

I think the issue is more likely to be with the DPF regeneration. As long as you do *some* highway miles every now and then, I would think you'd be fine. And it won't be a failure per se, more that you might trigger the warning about DPF needing regen, at which point you'll need to put on some highway miles.

NC4stroker 01-24-2014 05:00 PM

Re: Diesel reliability for short trips
 
Given your driving habits, no doubt you'll get the DPF warning. As long as you can put in some highway miles, the DPF will regen ok.

As much as I love our diesel, if I was in your situation, and If I didn't tow, I would probably opt for, or at least consider, the gas V6.

thebc2 01-24-2014 08:16 PM

I drive about 90% city, over 2000 miles and no regens yet...

maw262 01-24-2014 08:48 PM

Re: Diesel reliability for short trips
 
Thanks for the replies.

One more question. Most of my city driving consists of trips that are less than 5 miles and less than 15 min in length. Would this impact the regen?

I only get on the highway once every 3-4 months but it is always for trips over 600 miles roundtrip.

MuSh 01-24-2014 09:23 PM

I drive 98 percent city. 3000 miles and no issues or regen so far. My drive to work takes ten to fifteen minutes depending on traffic and stop lights. Total 5 miles each way.

SNUKE 01-24-2014 10:07 PM

Re: Diesel reliability for short trips
 
It is all about getting the exhaust hot enough.

Read this thread - http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/exhau...ess-69931.html

NC4stroker 01-24-2014 10:31 PM

Re: Diesel reliability for short trips
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuSh (Post 965104)
I drive 98 percent city. 3000 miles and no issues or regen so far. My drive to work takes ten to fifteen minutes depending on traffic and stop lights. Total 5 miles each way.

You mean you haven't had a DPF message from the EVIC?

I can promise you've had some regens. I've had several I know about in 3600 miles. You can tell as the MPGs drop while cruising, and you can smell it when you park, if the regen is in progress.

ExcursionDiesel 01-25-2014 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NC4stroker (Post 965139)
You mean you haven't had a DPF message from the EVIC?

I can promise you've had some regens. I've had several I know about in 3600 miles. You can tell as the MPGs drop while cruising, and you can smell it when you park, if the regen is in progress.

I don't think NAFTA CRDs show a regen message. Using my ODBII adapter and Torque App, I've witnessed my EGT and CAT temps run 1250*F for 20 minutes on a few occasions and never saw anything on the dash. I have 7400 miles so I'm sure it has occurred many times. I am guilty of idling for an hour while talking on the phone which is bad on the DPF. Fortunately, I also drive for hours at a time at 60+.

fun2drive 01-25-2014 12:27 PM

Re: Diesel reliability for short trips
 
maw262
One thing is certain you need to change your oil more often as you are in the severe category regarding use...

thebc2 01-25-2014 01:14 PM

Re: Diesel reliability for short trips
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fun2drive (Post 965333)
maw262
One thing is certain you need to change your oil more often as you are in the severe category regarding use...

I'm actually at the dealer getting my oil changed now, 2400 miles and was at 15% oil life.

To be clear, I've never gotten the "regen required" message, but I have no doubt a regen has probably occured.

I think people are a bit too jumpy regarding these diesels. I've been driving mine in about the worst conditions possible for a diesel (very cold, and lots of short duration low speed trips) and I've not had a single mechanical issue or concern thus far.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community