Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   2014 Rear tow hook? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2014-rear-tow-hook-70826.html)

GoHerd 01-24-2014 06:48 PM

2014 Rear tow hook?
 
I have the off-road package on my 2014, it has the front tow hooks. I noticed some of the fleet-ordered GC's have a rear tow hook but I've not seen it on any of the Jeeps on the lots.

1. I am presuming it's not part of the towing or off-road packages? Or should it have been included on mine?

2. Is the rear tow hook incompatible with the towing package that came on my Grand Cherokee?

Kind thanks.

jeepinAl 01-24-2014 07:02 PM

Re: 2014 Rear tow hook?
 
Not that I'm an expert in these matters, but I am bored at work.

If you have the tow package, that will delete the rear tow hook. I think with the 'build a jeep' feature on Jeep.com it will indicate that.

Al

P.s. My '14 with off road and tow package does not have the rear tow hook ( i guess you already have something to tie the tow strap on to)

silvermax04 01-24-2014 07:10 PM

Re: 2014 Rear tow hook?
 
here is your rear tow hook :)

D-Ring Receiver Hitch

bill_de 01-24-2014 07:20 PM

Re: 2014 Rear tow hook?
 
I was hesitant to trust my Jeep to anything from Harbor freight, so I ordered something similar from Amazon. But If you do go to HF, be sure to go online and get a 20% off coupon. :)


---

MKSVT 01-24-2014 07:25 PM

Re: 2014 Rear tow hook?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 965054)
I was hesitant to trust my Jeep to anything from Harbor freight, so I ordered something similar from Amazon. But If you do go to HF, be sure to go online and get a 20% off coupon. :)


---


lol, after i read that post i immediately went to post the same thing..:lol:

silvermax04 01-24-2014 07:39 PM

Re: 2014 Rear tow hook?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 965054)
I was hesitant to trust my Jeep to anything from Harbor freight, so I ordered something similar from Amazon. But If you do go to HF, be sure to go online and get a 20% off coupon. :)


---

lol yeah I agree with you on HF quality or lack of very hit or miss there. I can tell you I have used their tow strap several times on righting some large trees and it took loads I thought would have broken it. so I can make a definite recommendation on the tow strap. the tow hook never used it but hey $20 bucks for both to throw in with the spare tire for a rainy day. :)

2" x 20 Ft. Tow Strap

Sherif 01-24-2014 11:19 PM

Re: 2014 Rear tow hook?
 
I don't have it on my Overland and when I checked my build sheet found this line "AHCP Trailer Tow Prep Group" but I don't have the tow bar (hitch receiver)!
I don't need the hitch receiver but I want to have a proper rear recovery point so I went to the dealer to get the tow hook but they said it can't be installed because I have Quadra Lift so I have to get the hitch receiver instead..

eibyer 01-28-2014 01:20 PM

Re: 2014 Rear tow hook?
 
Strange reading this thread, just picked up the D-ring and the tow strap from HF last night :) Can't really beat it for the price, might never need it but it's good to know it's right by the spare tire.

Also bought a one-time (ok, i lied, maybe 2 or 3) torque wrench for $12.

MuSh 01-28-2014 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoHerd (Post 965045)
I have the off-road package on my 2014, it has the front tow hooks.

2007 and 2009 Marshall Grad. Go Herd. That is all :)

CTJeep85 01-28-2014 06:38 PM

Re: 2014 Rear tow hook?
 
I have this on my TrailHawk. I haven't got a chance to test it, but I am sure it will work out fine. :thumbsup:

Amazon.com: Smittybilt 29312B Receiver Hitch D-Ring with 3/4-Inch Shackle for 2-Inch Receivers: Automotive

Smittybilt 29312B Receiver Hitch D-Ring with 3/4-Inch Shackle for 2-Inch Receivers & another 3/5 D-ring for the other end...

Trimax MAG200 Resettable Combination Bent Pin 5/8" Receiver Lock : Amazon.com : Automotive

Trimax MAG200 Resettable Combination Bent Pin 5/8" Receiver Lock

I also got a 3" x 30' Rugged Ridge recovery strap 30,000 lbs.

Rugged Ridge 15104.01 Premium Recovery 3-Inch x 30' Strap - 30, 000 Lb Capacity : Amazon.com : Automotive

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps0b3ec47e.jpg

f1anatic 01-28-2014 07:13 PM

Re: 2014 Rear tow hook?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 965054)
I was hesitant to trust my Jeep to anything from Harbor freight, so I ordered something similar from Amazon. But If you do go to HF, be sure to go online and get a 20% off coupon. :)

I successfully towed my Subaru using the D-Ring Receiver Hitch and the 2 in x 30 ft tow strap from Harbor Freight, so it is good for at least 3300 lbs of the advertised 10,000 lbs (D-Ring) and 18,000 lbs (tow strap) break strength .

PTee 01-28-2014 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTJeep85 (Post 966998)
I have this on my TrailHawk. I haven't got a chance to test it, but I am sure it will work out fine. :thumbsup: Amazon.com: Smittybilt 29312B Receiver Hitch D-Ring with 3/4-Inch Shackle for 2-Inch Receivers: Automotive Smittybilt 29312B Receiver Hitch D-Ring with 3/4-Inch Shackle for 2-Inch Receivers & another 3/5 D-ring for the other end... Trimax MAG200 Resettable Combination Bent Pin 5/8" Receiver Lock : Amazon.com : Automotive Trimax MAG200 Resettable Combination Bent Pin 5/8" Receiver Lock I also got a 3" x 30' Rugged Ridge recovery strap 30,000 lbs. Rugged Ridge 15104.01 Premium Recovery 3-Inch x 30' Strap - 30, 000 Lb Capacity : Amazon.com : Automotive

How does that smittybilt d-ring fit. Most of the reviews I've read said it was to big to fit in the 2" reciever smoothly. I was looking at that one yesterday.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community