Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Cherokee-KL (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/)
-   -   Curt trailer hitch (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/curt-trailer-hitch-70827.html)

kpender 01-24-2014 07:34 PM

Curt trailer hitch

1 Attachment(s)
Etrailer put on the new hitch. They asked to have the Jeep for two days to fit some roof racks, because it was there first install. They gave me a free hitch kit. If you live around St. Louis, they install free with purchase. On this hitch, just the receiver part hangs down below the rear fascia. It also has a higher tongue weight, although I can't find any info on etrailer's website. It has vanished. They took it among themselves to notch the rear fascia. I've installed hitches on Jeeps before and sometimes things get tight. All in all, I'm very happy with it.

Rexlion 01-25-2014 11:47 PM

Re: Curt trailer hitch

You couldn't pay me to have another Curt hitch. I bought one for my '08 Highlander. Unit #1 came close to fitting but a couple of bolt holes were off. #2 wouldn't come close to fitting. #3 fit, but broke after 1 year. Replaced under warranty, #4 lasted 3 years before it broke. I gave up on them, and now I have a Draw-Tite. The Curt hitch receiver was rated at 5000 lbs/ 500 tongue wt. I was towing up to 3700 lb with up to 430 lb on the tongue, so I was well under the limits. The design just wasn't strong enough for constant towing like I do.

BTW, I see that the max tow rating for the Cherokee is 4500 lb, but what is the max allowed hitch weight, anybody know?

NHPATRIOT 01-26-2014 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rexlion (Post 965603)
BTW, I see that the max tow rating for the Cherokee is 4500 lb, but what is the max allowed hitch weight, anybody know?

FYI - only the V6 models w/ the Tow Group are rated to 4500lbs. All other configurations are 2000lbs max towing capacity.

I "assume" here when you say "hitch weight" you actually mean the "tongue weight(TW)" spec? If so, the general rule of thumb is you figure TW to be 10% of the max capacity. The Cherokee OM( page 539 )shows that is what Jeep spec's for the new Cherokee...

2.4L(ALL) & 3.2L w/o Tow Group - 200lbs/2000lbs
3.2L w/ Tow Group - 450lbs/4500lbs

Note - I personally would have no problem going with a 450lbs TW on a 2.4L or non Tow Group optioned 3.2L Cherokee. I wouldn't tow 4500lbs but 450lbs TW should not be a problem. If the 3.2L w/ Tow Group can handle it any of the others can too. Same hitch, same suspension, etc...

Rexlion 01-26-2014 12:36 PM

Yes, I tend to use the terms hitch weight and tongue weight interchangeably.

'Rules of thumb' don't apply in every instance, unfortunately. For example, some Subarus are rated for 2600 or 2800 lb towing, but only 200 lb tongue weight. And like you point out, even with the 4 cyl engine the Cherokee's hitch can withstand more than 200 lb on it. That's why I thought I'd ask, to see if anyone knew of an actual spec.

kpender 01-26-2014 03:22 PM

I believe the tongue weight capacity on the Curt hitch is 750 lbs and can tow 5000 lbs. That's off etrailer's site. I'm towing right at 2000 lbs.

NHPATRIOT 01-27-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpender (Post 965853)
I believe the tongue weight capacity on the Curt hitch is 750 lbs and can tow 5000 lbs. That's off etrailer's site. I'm towing right at 2000 lbs.

Always go with the lower of the 2 spec's for max towing capacity. By that I mean if the vehicle mfg spec's the max tow capacity at 2000lbs and the hitches is rated for 5000lbs stick to the 2000lbs. The hitch may be able to handle the extra weight but the vehicle's drive train, brake system, and/or frame may not. There is also the legal liability issues if you get into an accident towing more than the vehicle if rated for.

I wouldn't tow more than 2000lbs in a Cherokee 2.4L or 3.2L w/o Tw Group regardless of what hitch you put on it.

NHPATRIOT 01-27-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rexlion (Post 965794)
Yes, I tend to use the terms hitch weight and tongue weight interchangeably.

'Rules of thumb' don't apply in every instance, unfortunately. For example, some Subarus are rated for 2600 or 2800 lb towing, but only 200 lb tongue weight. And like you point out, even with the 4 cyl engine the Cherokee's hitch can withstand more than 200 lb on it. That's why I thought I'd ask, to see if anyone knew of an actual spec.

Yeah, I know TW can vary a bit. As I said it is just a rule of thumb that at least gets you close. The spec's I gave are in the owner's manual for the Cherokee though so I believe I gave you the info you were after. :thumbsup: