Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/)
-   -   Engine Idling (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/engine-idling-70829.html)

MuSh 01-24-2014 09:41 PM

Engine Idling

Per the owners's manual, it says to let your engine idle for specific amounts of time ( depending on distance and time traveled.) Does anyone follow this? If it is important, why wouldn't they make it to where you can let it idle and just shut off on its own..like a reverse remote start. Maybe it is just me, but when I get to my destination, I want to get out, not sit in the vehicle for 3 minutesor however long.

NC4stroker 01-24-2014 10:35 PM

Re: Engine Idling

It would be nice for the GC to idle after "cutoff" if it was needed. My Ram could be programmed to do just that, with an aftermarket tune.

fun2drive 01-24-2014 10:50 PM

Typically that is only needed if you rode her hard and put her away wet. Meaning the turbo is still very hot from running and you pull off the interstate and shut it right off. If you have any low speed low rpm time at all like a minute or two you will be fine. Really only pertains to running it hard and then shutting it off with no cool down what so ever.
Oil cooling turbo needs this oil and water cooled turbos don't as the water pump assuming electric pump will run for a couple minutes until the heat sensor is low the temps for safety then shuts off.
Very common for diesels to have a couple minute idle system after you have exited and locked it up.

Rexlion 01-25-2014 12:11 AM

I know there's remote start with the key fob, but will the fob also do remote shutoff? If so, it would seem plenty convenient if one had driven it hard but were in a hurry to simply get out and walk away... then in a couple of minutes hit the remote to shut it off. Yes? No?

5.7 My Hemi 01-25-2014 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rexlion (Post 965181)
I know there's remote start with the key fob, but will the fob also do remote shutoff? If so, it would seem plenty convenient if one had driven it hard but were in a hurry to simply get out and walk away... then in a couple of minutes hit the remote to shut it off. Yes? No?

Just push the remote button one time and it will stop.

Pyro515 02-17-2014 08:47 PM

From my import racing days, you could get a turbo timer that would do exactly what you are looking to do. It would keep the car running for a specified amount of time and then shut the engine off. I don't know if one would work with all of the Jeep's electronics though.

Mike

E_Holst 02-18-2014 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5.7 My Hemi (Post 965199)
Just push the remote button one time and it will stop.

I tried his doesn't seem to work for me. I can't do a remote engine stop with the fob. Does it matter if you did a remote sart or not?

-Eric

xatez 02-20-2014 10:30 PM

Talking about engine idling. A little different but I heard it's bad to idle for long periods of time for the diesel engines. Is this true? I sometimes leave my car idling for hours at a time up to 8 hours for my job. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

f1anatic 02-21-2014 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuSh (Post 965115)
Per the owners's manual, it says to let your engine idle for specific amounts of time ( depending on distance and time traveled.) Does anyone follow this? If it is important, why wouldn't they make it to where you can let it idle and just shut off on its own..like a reverse remote start. Maybe it is just me, but when I get to my destination, I want to get out, not sit in the vehicle for 3 minutes or however long.

The primary purpose of an aftermarket turbo timer is to allow your engine to idle unattended by a user a specified amount of time. This would allow your engine, specifically the turbo, to return from elevated temperature levels to normal temperature levels prior to the engine being turned off. This can prevent oil coking in turbochargers that are cooling by engine oil.

The only time turbo timers were used were when you ran your car hard and intended to stop right away. Even so, it was only certain forms of racing, mainly the parking lot autocross type events, which demanded that you retreat to a safe zone after your run. I agree that engines should sometimes be cooled under load - they do it in Formula One and I do it in my Subaru after a long run at more than half throttle / track day / excessive driving at high rpm. There is no reason to use turbo timers or idle unnecessarily under normal operations, at least on the modern 10 year old Subaru engine.

I agree someone should cool under load (by slowing down) or keep the engine idling several minutes after towing a load, driving off-road, driving up a mountain (Mt. Evans / Pikes Peak type drives) or eco-diesel racing on the highway access ramps, but I cannot fathom having to do so for "regular" driving. Such cool-down practices should not be limited to turbo vehicles either.

JoeD 02-21-2014 03:01 PM

You need an exhaust temp gauge, once your under 350 your set to shut down