Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   18" Wheels and AT Tyres (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/18-wheels-and-at-tyres-70837.html)

mkmydnr 01-25-2014 07:13 AM

18" Wheels and AT Tyres

I'd always planned to switch to 18"s with AT's when I had gone through the rubber on my 20" Kumho's. After a drive through some rocky hills today, putting up with the harsh ride, having people ask me if my tires were flat all day because of how deformed the tyres were when sitting on rocks due to the soft side walls, scuffing all my rims and eventually destroying a tyre I'm going to have to move on it a bit sooner.

I'll get in contact with my local retailers on Tuesday but thought I might try and get some advice here first. I have read through most the big threads previously but I figured I would put my requirements out there with the hope of some sound advice.

Im definitely after an 18" wheel, not really interested in the Mopar ones, would prefer something with some if not all black. Been looking at these:

ATX AX181-Artillery 18" x 8" +35 | Murchison Products AEV QLD Distributor

Just wondering if anyone has any better suggestions?

Next question though is tyres, I want an AT, preferably an LT with decent sidewalls to avoid todays issues but then I worry about speed rating. Bigger would be nice but what will fit under the QL in aero mode and not scrub and also what do you do with the spare.

Hoping someone has gone down this path already and can provide some advice? Thanks in advance

Barboots 01-25-2014 08:55 PM

Re: 18" Wheels and AT Tyres

Firstly, apologies... I felt better about the outlay we made in making up a second set of wheels and tyres when I read your post. Not that I gained any enjoyment out of the damage incurred, it's just sometimes you wonder if you really needed to spend the money. I kinda figured it was essential when I saw one of my Kumho 20"s badly mis-shapen against a fairly rounded tree root on our verge. Those things are soft!

Anyway, I started a post about 18"s, but admit that I haven't closed the loop with what I ended up doing. I'll take some photos and do it today for you. The thread is here:

Off-Road 18"s

That'll get you started anyway :)

Cheers,
Steve

Barboots 01-25-2014 09:00 PM

Oh, they're nice looking wheels. The slight change in offset would eliminate one problem I've experienced, but could result in others. To be clear, things are very tight with the oversized LTs I fitted, especially when aired down!

I'll elaborate sometime today with images.

Check Advanti wheels also... they have similar, but I think a closer to OEM offset. Not that I dislike pushing the wheels out a bit where possible. ;)

Cheers,
Steve

mkmydnr 01-26-2014 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barboots (Post 965516)
The thread is here:

Off-Road 18"s

That'll get you started anyway :)

Cheers,
Steve

cheers, heres a video from the day if anyone is interested. Overall quite impressed with the Jeep, didnt get stuck all day :)

Orchard Creek Jan 2014 - YouTube

Silverhammer 01-26-2014 11:28 PM

Can't watch video, copyright police have blocked it! Never seen thst before. What the hell is in your video?

SNUKE 01-26-2014 11:31 PM

@1:45 :thumbsup:

Surprised you actually attempted that with those tyres/wheels.

mkmydnr 01-27-2014 12:41 AM

Won't work on a mobile device, you'll have to watch it from a computer. The person who made the video out copywrite music in it

Barboots 01-27-2014 12:41 AM

I just want to know what the pearls of wisdom were from Disco Tom at 13:45 . II've just got a hunch he's extolling the virtues of the Land Rover Discovery 4 :cool:

I'll second a goodonya for getting into that on your 20" Kumhos. Having rails is a bit of a comfort I guess, but there's a lot exposed up front to keep you on your toes.

I've got to say though, driving through the vegetation... go Straya :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Steve

Barboots 01-27-2014 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkmydnr (Post 966174)
Won't work on a mobile device, you'll have to watch it from a computer. The person who made the video out copywrite music in it

I can view it on Android within the stock browser. Just don't open it with YouTube... let it play and then maximise it with the lower right "expand" button.

I think everyone who wants Bob Seger and Meatloaf has a copy already. :wtf:

Cheers,
Steve

adamt 01-27-2014 06:35 PM

If anyone is after a second set of 18"s, these are on ebay at the moment in NSW. He also has a set of MOPAR skid plates in other items.

Tyres 275 65R18 Bighorn M T With 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Wheels in Bossley Park, NSW | eBay

Benn0 01-27-2014 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkmydnr (Post 966065)
cheers, heres a video from the day if anyone is interested. Overall quite impressed with the Jeep, didnt get stuck all day :)

Great vid, thanks for sharing. Interesting seeing it perform against the Landrovers and toyotas.

@7:30 in that rut was interesting, especially compared to the others. The first 2 prados struggled, the disco went straight through, but you can see his electronics kick in and grab that rear spinning wheel, a bit more suspension travel helps too. As I understand it you should have kept the power on and waited for the TC to grab those spinning wheels.

@17:20 hilarious! Bustmup indeed!

Benn0 01-27-2014 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkmydnr (Post 965228)
Just wondering if anyone has any better suggestions?

Next question though is tyres, I want an AT, preferably an LT with decent sidewalls to avoid todays issues but then I worry about speed rating. Bigger would be nice but what will fit under the QL in aero mode and not scrub and also what do you do with the spare.

Hoping someone has gone down this path already and can provide some advice? Thanks in advance

I don't like the standard 18" rim, I'm thinking of going for something like this (from the above thread)
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/off-r...tml#post931152

And maybe the Dueler tyre, or a Cooper STMaxx for something a bit more aggressive.

Other rims that may fit are the KMC and FUEL rims, here are the details for the rim configuration:

Offset = 56.4mm Bolt pattern = 5x5 (5x127mm)

This thread is also useful:
Jeep WK2/JK 5x5 Wheel Encyclopedia - JeepForum.com