Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/)
-   -   Magnaflow Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/magnaflow-exhaust-70851.html)

HAASPORT 01-25-2014 02:31 PM

Magnaflow Exhaust

Check this out!

MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel 3L V6 2014 MagnaFlow 15317 - YouTube

I think I need to buy my self and early birthday present....lol

racer-xerols 01-25-2014 05:36 PM

Re: Magnaflow Exhaust

Hmmm....

Wonder if they'll come out with tips that fit the Summit rear fascia...

otnielarencibia 01-26-2014 12:00 AM

I gotta hear this in person.....and has anyone seen a price...I see tbd

MuSh 01-26-2014 01:44 AM

Thanks for sharing! Must have!

WhelanFamilyJeep 01-26-2014 10:38 PM

I saw it listed on one of the Magnaflow dealer sites for $1,409.00. Would be really interested to hear how it sounds.

MuSh 01-27-2014 12:21 AM

I hope that is just an expensive Retailer because that is about $500 more than most of the highest end of Magnaflow Exhausts. I'll give them $800, and that's providing it produces some good performance gains. :)

LaNcE10 01-27-2014 12:40 AM

HMMM! been waiting for one to show up for the diesels! but, is it just me or it sounds pretty much the same as stock?

crabman 01-27-2014 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuSh (Post 966161)
I hope that is just an expensive Retailer because that is about $500 more than most of the highest end of Magnaflow Exhausts. I'll give them $800, and that's providing it produces some good performance gains. :)

Be careful of ads or seat of pants impressions. In the case of the former they are moving product, in the latter people far too easily equate louder with more power. Nowadays with new cars the gain on exhausts is typically too low to prove out on a dyno when you do a before and after. Sometimes they can show a measurable loss. Deleting the cats and or going to headers is a different story altogether but doesn't apply here. You're likely buying a perceived improvement in sound quality with this product but little else so that should be your bang per buck yardstick until someone proves otherwise.

Banjo 01-27-2014 04:19 PM

For $130 I had my resonator mufflers cut off and replaced with straight pipes and the original tips with no noticeable increase in exhaust noise. I am sure that the expensive aftermarket EGR back systems don't offer any less backpressure. I was told to do this by our members down under in OZ to reduce the turbo lag on spool up from a start. Can't really notice that much difference in turbo lag but the decrease in backpressure probably helps with lowering EGTs.

joenjulie 01-27-2014 08:46 PM

Interested to see if someone pulls the trigger on this and if it helps mpg's at all. Diesels are essentially pumps, more air in/out with the right fuel =more power and efficiency...most of the time

Wiley75 01-27-2014 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banjo (Post 966422)
For $130 I had my resonator mufflers cut off and replaced with straight pipes and the original tips with no noticeable increase in exhaust noise. I am sure that the expensive aftermarket EGR back systems don't offer any less backpressure. I was told to do this by our members down under in OZ to reduce the turbo lag on spool up from a start. Can't really notice that much difference in turbo lag but the decrease in backpressure probably helps with lowering EGTs.

Lower EGTs means less passive regeneration. This means that the ECM will have to enable active regeneration more frequently in efforts of controlling the pressure differential across the DPF filter. So in reality, lowering the EGTs by removing the resonators could yield a ever so slight decrease in fuel economy since more active regeneration is required.

"Turbo lag" is really controlled by the ECM via the VGT. For EGR to work properly the ECM will raise exhaust pressure by choking off the exhaust flow and raising exhaust manifold pressure. Meanwhile a throttle valve is typically used in the intake in-between the cold side of the air to air intercooler and the intake manifold. By controlling the two devices the ECM can enable a condition where exhaust gas will flow backwards from the exhaust manifold, thru a EGR cooler, and back into the intake manifold/plenum. Removing the resonators will have no impact on this as the ECM is controlling it anyhow.

If Magnaflow exhaust sounds cool then it may be worth it. But it is not going to produce any gains in performance or fuel economy in my opinion.

joenjulie 01-28-2014 12:05 AM

Wiley...agreed, probably won't see any gains because of all the emissions junk upstream of it, I don't see how a "filter back" system would do much by itself...but the tips looked cool. Real exhaust gains would show up on a turbo back, which would mean deleting the DPF.