Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   front wheels not driving (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/front-wheels-not-driving-70861.html)

bob c 01-25-2014 04:50 PM

front wheels not driving

i have a 2004 grand cherokee limited that i recently replaced both hub assemblies and 1 axle. now the front wheels have no power! any help would be GREATLY appreciated... lots of snow on the ground and more coming!!!

bob c 01-25-2014 04:56 PM

Re: front wheels not driving

bad time to find this out

jeepgclx 01-27-2014 04:06 AM

What 4wd system does it have?

Frango100 01-27-2014 05:06 AM

I heard of a same problem before. In that case a wrong axle shaft (read too short) was mounted and it didnīt fit in the differential. No strange noises when driving?
Could be that the problem was there before the repair and that it has to do with the T-case. Does it have traction in 4Lo?

bob c 01-27-2014 10:13 AM

I think it's called quadra-drive. Full time 4wd with limited slip diffs. No strange noises. Correct axle. It's as if the driver side axle is not locking in. All 3 other wheels spin, drive shaft is turning. Just wont engage that wheel. Seems like maybe a problem in the diff. Worked before I started though!

Frango100 01-27-2014 10:46 AM

Both axles are pushed in the differential each from its own side with the splined ends. If the quadra drive was working before you changed the axle and if the other front wheel is driven ( so the vari lok is locked) then there is not much left then a not well inserted axle spline into the diff. Are you completely sure the new axle has the same lenght as the old one?

bob c 01-27-2014 11:42 AM

The axle I replaced was passenger side. It appears to be working fine. The driver side was only pulled to replace hub assy. It slides in to where when you tighten it down to the hub assy., it pulls out a little bit. Very confusing!:confused:

Frango100 01-27-2014 05:18 PM

Jack up the front and rotate both wheels. If the drivers side seems to be not connected, then something went wrong during assembly.

bob c 01-27-2014 06:40 PM

thats where i'm at now. i'm guessing i'll have to check out the diff. and see if i knocked something loose during re-assembly. i appreciate you helping me out, by the way......

jeepgclx 01-28-2014 04:04 AM

Could fluid level in the differential matter? Because you should have a front lsd which if I am not mistaking is a hydraulic system.

Frango100 01-28-2014 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgclx (Post 966695)
Could fluid level in the differential matter? Because you should have a front lsd which if I am not mistaking is a hydraulic system.

Yes it does matter. The Vari-Lok differential is a hydraulic pump/clutch construction which uses the fluid in the differential for its operation. No fluid or low fluid could prevent the pump from working and the differential would work as an open diff. In that case one wheel could stand still, but the other should spin with twice the revs.

bob c 02-03-2014 07:54 AM

a quick update. checked fluid level, it was low. filled it , now it is trying to work. kinda wondering if maybe just needs to be driven some to get the lube circulating? its still not working properly