Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Killing Engine in Neutral – Keyless Ignition (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/killing-engine-in-neutral-keyless-ignition-70873.html)

Sponge Bob 01-25-2014 08:17 PM

Killing Engine in Neutral – Keyless Ignition

Hey Gang. Does anyone know of a way to kill the engine while in neutral with the keyless ignition?

There are a couple of traffic lights near me that are excessively long when red. In my old ’04 GC I would slide the gear shift into neutral and spin the key back. I would then restart the Jeep, slide the tranny into drive and no one was the wiser. Saved a bunch of gas too. When I try this in my 2011 GC-X the EVIC states “Vehicle not in park”. I have to put the tranny in park and kill the engine. Upon restart, I have to run the gear shift selector through P-R-N before I get to D. The panicked looks on the people behind me when they see the backup lights come on (momentarily) is priceless, but I don’t need to be the cause of any heart attacks.

As always, any advice is greatly appreciated.

ENFORCER 01-25-2014 08:31 PM

Re: Killing Engine in Neutral – Keyless Ignition

I doubt it is possible, as the car is not designed for that sort of function.
I would also suspect that any savings in fuel are negated by additional wear on the starter and battery.

The Evil Twin 01-25-2014 11:28 PM

Hit the start/stop button 3 times. That is the panic stop.
However, 99.9% of mechanical devices prefer to continue running. Oil flow stops every time you kill the engine. Starting the engine is harder on it than just letting it run. I prefer to keep the fluids flowing, myself. If I plan on being in one spot for 10 minutes or less the engine stays on.

netboy 01-28-2014 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Evil Twin (Post 965595)
Hit the start/stop button 3 times. That is the panic stop.
However, 99.9% of mechanical devices prefer to continue running. Oil flow stops every time you kill the engine. Starting the engine is harder on it than just letting it run. I prefer to keep the fluids flowing, myself. If I plan on being in one spot for 10 minutes or less the engine stays on.

Not sure about the 2011, but this does not work on the 2014's. To use the 'panic' shut-off, you must be moving at a speed higher than 5mph. Anything below this will get you the "Vehicle not in park" message on the EVIC. There is no way to shutdown in transmission-neutral while at complete stop.

The Evil Twin 01-29-2014 12:34 PM

Interesting. I suppose the engineers figured if you were stopped, why not in park. Probably had a lawsuit because some idjit left it in neutral and got out.

padgett 01-29-2014 08:03 PM

Doesn't work on a '12 either. Twice I have gotten out with the engine running when not completely in park, could have popped into reverse and that would make a lawyer's day.

Can think of any number of failures where a vehicle would not think it was in Park.