Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

CHR-558 Lockpick on MY14 Export JGC

5K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  dazpad 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has fitted the CHR-558 V2 Lockpick to an export MY14 yet? Just looking to confirm it all works OK with the non USA U-Connect variant prior to ordering.

Cheers,
Steve

#4 ·
#5 ·
Yep, all good additions. I'd like to fit "towing cameras" in place of mirrors and guesswork, and play around with stuff like conncting my phone / tablet / whatever to the U-Connect screen. However the real motivation is to enter destinations into the navigation while moving. We're used to this with our other car, were assured voice recognition would be a valid alternative prior to purchase, and have hated being so mislead since collecting the car.

If buying another vehicle prior to availability I will voice record every discussion about equipment and features. It seems OK to make shit up or mislead those downstream when you're in the auto import and sales industry.

Cheers,
Steve

#6 ·
Yep I hear ya, would like very much to have VR for destinations as well, was hoping for an update to fix that some day. My biggest beef is no tow hooks. I didn't know they didn't have them. Never owned a GC before and didn't notice. And all the pics & vids on the net are mostly from the US which have them. Just thought 75K for a 4x4 they would have that shit already.

#9 · (Edited)
The Toyota factory gear are not the real McCoy. I the round wire straightens, fatigues and breaks. I snapped these pix just doing the rounds in a mine site car park...

A recovery point is generally cast steel, extruded steel, or forged steel... bolted, not welded. Formed is generally bad.

Cheers,
Steve

#10 ·
Hi Steve,

I just stumbled upon LockPick CHR558 V2 today trying to solve a similar towing issue. I would be interested to see the outcome and your thoughts on the experience. Thanks for the tip on Camera-Source.

I am also looking to pair it with some form of video recorder (eg http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Vedio-GPS-blackbox-DVR) for road-rage evidence gathering. Some people don't seem to appreciate towing horses means you need to take corners slowly, and they vent their frustration in sometimes dangerous ways.

Regards,

Damien

MY14 JGC Overland EcoDiesel
Melbourne, Victoria

#11 ·
If I was mounting horse float cams I'd be heading to Welcome to Sharpvision Co.,Ltd - China Car Camera manufacturer,backup camera supplier,rear view system, car monitor wholesale, Vehicle & backup car camera system, CCTV Security Camera Systems factory,car camera exporter. to look at their ball cameras. I used them in commercial fitments and they're good value. They'd be ideal for the sides of the horse float. SharpVision also make 12 volt 4 channel DVRs... however Sanan had a greater range last time I compared them.

I'm still hesitant to order the CHR558, mainly because of this message from Coastal.

"Thank you for your interest, however we do not process international orders, ship internationally, or take international credit cards/Credit cards without a USA billing address.*

Furthermore, we do not test any of our devices on non North American Vehicles.* Nor do we guarantee compatibility with a Non North American vehicle.

Again thank you for your interest and have a great day.

--
Ransom
Coastal Electronics
Support@coastalEtech.com
Navigation Lockpicks and Prius Accessories
1-800-507-2234"

On the other hand, Camera-source.com have been great and I'm awaiting their response to my concerns.

Cheers,
Steve

#13 ·
Matty you know NavTV were my preferred solution provider, but their ongoing bullshit about an ETA... while typical for everything to do with this brand vehicle... is too much. If someone can't be honest about a release date, how far can you trust them overall?

I had my girlfriend read me a German forum Sox is a member of. A guy there has a Lockpick CHR558 running on a Dodge with "the same" U-Connect as us MY14 guys. That's as good as I've got so far. I'm still researching, but maybe I'll have to be the guinea pig.

Cheers,
Steve

#18 ·
I bought the Lockpick from the US a couple of months ago. Finally had it fitted last week. I use it for "Nav in Motion" and for switching my caravan camera to the uConnect screen when towing. The guy who fitted it said it was dead easy. The trim and radio unit come out in about five minutes. There was some coding required by my Jeep dealer, but the installer organised that.

Generally it works very well, although There's a few little things you need to consider before you have one fitted.
1. As per the fitment instructions, even though you can select the factory camera manually at any time unless you run a separate power line it will cutout at around 8kmh.
2. Because the Lockpick takes over your camera functions you will loose the delayed off when moving forward. i.e as soon as you change out of reverse (when in auto mode) you'll loose your camera display.
3. The Nav while driving works great. A couple of times though, when I've needed to reverse during a Nav route, after coming back from a camera display to the map the system appears to "hang". A switch to Radio or Media and back fixes this.

Hope this info helps. I'll keep testing and post my findings.

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

#19 ·
Thanks Dazpad. Do you reckon you could find out about the coding required? I've never heard of such a requirement when reading about Lockpick, but it could be an Export/AU or MY14 thing I guess?

I can't imagine my dealership doing anything to incorporate the mod... not that I've asked.

Cheers,
Steve

#23 ·
Funny thing is that my Nav has always been able to be changed while driving. I can plot a destination and do anything that I can do while stopped. Perhaps some wiring was configured diffently in my car?

#25 ·
I received an email back from the installer. He coded the car for the VES option, which is the left hand drive rear seat entertainment option. He says on the version one Lockpick this is the only way he could get the system to operate normally. He's got three more Lockpick installs next week and he's going to try it without the coding to see whether it makes any difference to the version two.

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.