Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   05' Grand Cheroke (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/05-grand-cheroke-70897.html)

maddman07 01-26-2014 12:24 PM

05' Grand Cheroke

went to start my jeep this morning and it would not start...service electric brake light was on and there is a clicking noise coming from the fuse box. My husband had drove it earlier and it was fine. Any suggestions (just bought it 2 days ago has 55k miles)

Frango100 01-26-2014 07:44 PM

Re: 05' Grand Cheroke

Welcome to the garage.
Your jeep is a WK, you are now in the WJ section (99-04). They probably can better help you out there, eventhough i will give it a try. The clicking sound you hear from the fuse box, is most probably the starter relay. So it can be that the battery is too weak to turn the starter motor, or the starter motor itself is the problem.

2005JGC 01-27-2014 12:24 PM

can you do a "key dance" and pull any codes? (look up "Chrysler key dance" on youtube)

Starters are VERY common, also lots of weird things happen on these with a weak battery... I would check the battery!

brentwoodkris 01-27-2014 02:57 PM

Probably corroded connections at the starter (common problem).

wkheadache 02-21-2014 09:20 PM

Just went through the same problem. Would start intermittently so the hardest part was replicating for the mechanic. Replaced the battery (was original from 07 anyway) and a starter relay before I finally paid a visit to the shop and it didnt start with my mechanic standing right there and he noticed the starter click. Replaced the starter and all has been well since. Good luck!

brentwoodkris 02-24-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkheadache (Post 980001)
Just went through the same problem. Would start intermittently so the hardest part was replicating for the mechanic. Replaced the battery (was original from 07 anyway) and a starter relay before I finally paid a visit to the shop and it didnt start with my mechanic standing right there and he noticed the starter click. Replaced the starter and all has been well since. Good luck!

I also just had to replace my ignition switch and it fixed this issue last weekend. :thumbsup:

wkheadache 02-24-2014 03:18 PM

Awesome! How hard was it to replace?

brentwoodkris 02-24-2014 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkheadache (Post 981484)
Awesome! How hard was it to replace?

Make sure you ensure that the issue isn't your battery! It's a common WK issue as our vehicles are super voltage-sensitive! But onto the ignition switch:

Pretty easy peasy. I'm sure there are countless threads on how to do it (SUPER common problem with our WK's), but here's a brief synopsis:

All you have to do is pop the trim piece around the ignition cylinder, pull the top dash away from the gauge cluster, and pull down the drop down panel under the steering wheel.

There are 2 torx screws on the front of the cylinder and one on the top left (exposed when you remove the gauge cluster trim). Once you release the screws, you can wiggle the unit down towards the opening under the steering wheel and release the electrical connector on it, which will free the whole unit to come down.

There's a smaller torx on the unit itself securing it to the key cylinder which you'll have to remove. Then simply pull the switch off from the cylinder. Note that when you install the new switch, to make sure you line up the key slot on the cylinder and switch (easily done with a key or screwdriver).

Total time was about 30 minutes, and that's because the bypass module on my ignition module for my aftermarket DEI security system makes maneuvering the unit inside/outside of a piece a major PITA. :thumbsup:

wkheadache 02-26-2014 08:52 AM

Battery and starter relay were first things swapped out and I put an agm battery in (wanted the boost in CCA for the brutal Canadian winter). Since the starter swap she has been starting great.