Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Side Mirrors (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/side-mirrors-7092.html)

NHWK05 03-02-2010 07:26 PM

Side Mirrors

2 Questions.

1st, I have my jeep setup with the auto tilt in reverse, memory seat and radio and mirror. Does that mean that the mirrors them self have some kind of memory in them?

I have looked in to buying new ones since mine are a bit beat up (its a long story) but they are all listed as Power/heated w/o memory.

Does that mean they wont work with any memory settings? i thought the memory settings were stored in the jeep not the mirror.

2nd, I had mirror covers on my jeep and removed them because the chrome peeled off. I got a better quality set of chrome mirror covers but i am hesitant to put them on.

After removing the old covers it seems like the 2 halves of the stock mirrors are not as snug as they used to be or that the mirrors are just very cheap. Is there supposed to be a groove around the perimeter of the mirror plasitc? Are all years like this cheap poor quality mirror?

I dont want to put my new covers on the mirrors if they are gonna fall apart. the seam just seems loose.

I am putting the covers back on because i like the chrome mirrors and to cover up the scratches i put in them trying to remove the old covers.

blackpepper 03-02-2010 07:39 PM

Re: Side Mirrors

It won't work in your memory settings.. the mirrors need the wiring and it doesn't exist if it's listed w/o memory.. sorry. I bought srt painted mirrors that came from a baseline srt8 that didn't have memory settings in it either.. so I lost my tilt down feature and memory settings when I made the switch.

NHWK05 03-02-2010 07:40 PM

Thanks.

Now are all years this crappy quality or just the 05s?

Scottina06 03-02-2010 08:25 PM

the mirrors do come apart......when you were pulling the covers off...you couldve broken a tab or something????

brent 03-02-2010 09:22 PM

Ya, hit a gate reader or a parking garage meter with the mirror, the tabs inside get broken. It'll never quite snap together right again. I thought about taking my RH mirror off and getting out some epoxy and a couple clamps to fix it. But after chasing my LH mirror issue for the last 6 months, I'm done with'em. I don't care anymore ;)

If you pop the mirror glass off, you can get a little better look at the tabs, if memory serves me.

NHWK05 03-02-2010 09:55 PM

Its possible that i broke some of the clips. It only seems to feel loose at the bottom edge. I am just amazed at how cheap these are.

I will have to look closer when its warmer out before i put the new covers on and see if they are broken and if there is any way to fix it.

How do you guys paint the stock units since they have that big groove there? just sand them smooth and deal with the groove?