Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Chrome - what to do (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/chrome-what-to-do-70921.html)

ad2330 01-26-2014 04:49 PM

Chrome - what to do

Trying to find the best remedy for blacking out all this disgusting chrome. I know many of you have done something about it, so what's the best route?

I was thinking either vinyl or plasti-dip but I'm having a tough time finding a shop that will do it.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Scottina06 01-26-2014 04:57 PM

Re: Chrome - what to do

IMHO vinyl is the way to go! High quality vinyl. I used 3m scotchprint gloss black and the stuff looks like paint. Its beautiful. I tried that plasticdip crap on some enblems and there NO WAY to get it glossy like paint and it has a sticky tecture. The black looks greysih too.

jbjones85 01-26-2014 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ad2330 (Post 965886)
Trying to find the best remedy for blacking out all this disgusting chrome. I know many of you have done something about it, so what's the best route? I was thinking either vinyl or plasti-dip but I'm having a tough time finding a shop that will do it. Thanks for any recommendations.

I had the front grill rings painted and I am planning to use vinyl on the window trim. I debadged all the emblems except the rear srt and jeep logo.

Scottina06 01-26-2014 05:15 PM

yes.....all chromeI could remove...I had painted....ie. upper grille rings, 2 lower grille rings, rear Jeep emblem, SRT emblem etc. I actually used the 3m on the window moldings. looks beautiful after 6 months.

SRTBLK 01-26-2014 07:56 PM

3M vinyl, you can do it yourself. mine has been going strong for almost 2 years now.

Fght On 01-26-2014 10:21 PM

All chrome that can be removed have a body shop professionally prep and shoot. 3M vinyl the window molding.

lillyjas 01-26-2014 10:51 PM

Went to a high rated shop in town, they took off all the chrome (sans the window trim), prepped and painted gloss black - I debadged everything but the rear (left them) myself - easy. Price was $300 and done in 1.5 days -

Thought I wanted the chrome around the windows - but come spring will have the shop do the windows as well and the jeep rear emblem - the whole jeep will need a major detailing and touch-up come spring with the winter we have been having and may just have them redo the paint they did as the whole front end is a disaster after this winter and with 2 more months god knows what it will look like.

ad2330 02-21-2014 03:10 PM

Alright well I've now been turned down by two different shops while inquiring about having the chrome painted.

They claim they're unable to warranty the work as they'll have too hard a time getting paint to bond with the chrome, blah blah blah.

Really getting frustrated with this. Why the feck did Jeep ever think putting chrome on these trucks would look good??? smh.

Scottina06 02-21-2014 03:25 PM

email UR50slo@aol.com and tell him I sent you. You can send your parts to him in Indiana and he'll paint them and send back. pro work...he did all my chrome