Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Cherokee-KL (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/)
-   -   2014 Trailhawk rattle (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/2014-trailhawk-rattle-70957.html)

Richard Allen 01-27-2014 07:04 PM

2014 Trailhawk rattle

HELP.My new Cherokee Trailhawk, 6cyl. Has a rattle at 1200 to 1500 rpm in all forward gears and most loud when slightly adding throttle. It sounds like a baseball card in a bicycle's spokes, and comes from under dash or engine compartment left side. Extremely annoying. Road speed or trans gear does not matter. Ac operation makes no difference. I looked under dash and engine and find nothing loose.
Dealer wants me to leave car, no loaner, not even a courtesy ride home. (18 miles).

4jeepdiesel 01-27-2014 09:00 PM

Re: 2014 Trailhawk rattle

That sucks,
Not surprised. Most dealerships are pieces of crap as soon as they make the sale. If I were you I'd empty most of the oil and transmission fluid out of it. Save it for later. Then I'd find a nice quiet country road where you can floor the sonovabitch until it blows up. Then when you come to a grinding halt add back in the oil and transmission fluid and then call your dealer and tell them to come back and pick up their car and give all of your money back and then some.

RT-Texas 01-27-2014 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4jeepdiesel (Post 966549)
That sucks,
Not surprised. Most dealerships are pieces of crap as soon as they make the sale. If I were you I'd empty most of the oil and transmission fluid out of it. Save it for later. Then I'd find a nice quiet country road where you can floor the sonovabitch until it blows up. Then when you come to a grinding halt add back in the oil and transmission fluid and then call your dealer and tell them to come back and pick up their car and give all of your money back and then some.

Now that's a solution I would have never considered.

PetetPuma 01-28-2014 02:28 AM

I am experiencing the same rattle. My dealer thought its a loose wire cable rattling around the UConnect. They thought they had it locked down, but its back now.

Richard Allen 01-28-2014 07:36 AM

Iwhich Cherokee do you have and how many miles?

PetetPuma 01-28-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Allen (Post 966743)
Iwhich Cherokee do you have and how many miles?

Cherokee Trailhawk, 3.2 V6; 3200 miles

ragoodsp 01-28-2014 01:32 PM

This is bad news since I just ordered a new Trailhawk! Especially bad since my wife's 2014 GC had the exact noise as you described between 28-45MPH. Despite every effort by Jeep/dealer they could not find the noise and ulitimately purchased the vehicle back from me! The new GC does not make the sound with over 8,000 miles on it. On the GC forum you will see a very long thread involving lots of other folks with the V-6 and the same rattle. Some have found a fix in tipping the transmission breather away from some pipes that run very close to the breather and make the small metal ball within the breather rattle like you have described. If I get my new Trailhawk and it has that sound I will have to be committed and Sergio will come with me!!!

Richard Allen 01-31-2014 03:22 PM

Update to trail hawk rattle.

After several attempts locating annoying rattle described above, I was able to get my hand behind instrument cluster, then shock anything I could grab. To my surprise the rattle is ALMOST completely gone. So the problem is ,definitely behind or near cluster. If anyone knows how to remove cluster without damage, I would appreciate the info.

Richard Allen 02-02-2014 03:37 PM

Update.
Noise is back. Comes and goes no rhyme or reason. Beginning to regret buying this vehicle.

Richard Allen 02-10-2014 08:22 PM

Update

Rattle gone. Found heater tubes vibrating on firewall. This resonated into heater. Wrapped tubes in foam and secured with zip ties. Also zip tied both tubes together at firewall.

SassyBlonde 02-10-2014 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Allen (Post 973757)
Update Rattle gone. Found heater tubes vibrating on firewall. This resonated into heater. Wrapped tubes in foam and secured with zip ties. Also zip tied both tubes together at firewall.

:thumbsup:

LeCreaux 02-10-2014 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Allen (Post 973757)
Update

Rattle gone. Found heater tubes vibrating on firewall. This resonated into heater. Wrapped tubes in foam and secured with zip ties. Also zip tied both tubes together at firewall.

I have the same problem and it's driving me NUTS. Can you take a picture of your fix?