Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   2014 GC snow problem (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/2014-gc-snow-problem-70968.html)

Midgitkilla 01-27-2014 11:19 PM

2014 GC snow problem

Well I got my GC stuck in about a foot of snow this past weekend. One tire would spin and the rest would not move at all.

I have been researching about what I can do and have read quite a bit about lockers. What I am looking for is an explanation about the two different types i saw. One was powered by a compressor and the other was automatic.

I like the idea of an automatic one. No forgetting to turn it on or off. The auto one was much much cheaper.

What would you guys recommend? What differential should I get? Any idea on install costs?

Setoutguy 01-28-2014 07:33 AM

Re: 2014 GC snow problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midgitkilla (Post 966617)
Well I got my GC stuck in about a foot of snow this past weekend. One tire would spin and the rest would not move at all.

I have been researching about what I can do and have read quite a bit about lockers. What I am looking for is an explanation about the two different types i saw. One was powered by a compressor and the other was automatic.

I like the idea of an automatic one. No forgetting to turn it on or off. The auto one was much much cheaper.

What would you guys recommend? What differential should I get? Any idea on install costs?

I dont believe the ARB locker or any other locker will work in a WK2. Why dont you buy 4 winter tires and wheels. Lockers dont help you turn or stop.

loveracing1988 01-28-2014 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midgitkilla (Post 966617)

There are no aftermarket options for the wk2 differential wise. What 4wd system do you have? If you happened to stop and then got stuck I can see why, with a foot of snow your sitting on the snow and plowing it with the front. You flat out don't have the ground clearance to go through that much snow. If you have qt2 or qd2 put it in low range and sand or mud mode. To get the brake lock diffs to work you need to give it plenty of gas to pvercome the brakes to get the other tires to spin. No matter what 4wd system you have you have those. Adding lockers or upgrading tires really won't make a difference if your tires aren't touching anything.

kkreit01 01-28-2014 11:39 AM

Tires! The OE tires suck in snow. Grab a dedicated set of snows, or decent A/T tires (with snowflake symbol if you often see that much).

jacko15 01-28-2014 01:18 PM

With over 80" of snow here this winter so far, my Michelin LTX M/S 2s have been great. And they were quiet and smooth all last summer on dry pavement. I find it unnecessary to have dedicated snows.

Midgitkilla 01-28-2014 10:05 PM

That really is not what I wanted to hear. So basically I am unable to use my 2014 for any off road purposes.

loveracing1988 01-28-2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midgitkilla (Post 967103)
That really is not what I wanted to hear. So basically I am unable to use my 2014 for any off road purposes.

You never answered, what 4x4 system do you have?

You said only one tire was spinning, that is impossible unless you have a 2ws model. When that one tire was spinning did you hear the abs motor kick on? It would have been a growling type noise on the drivers side.

Midgitkilla 01-28-2014 10:33 PM

I have the base Laredo with QT1. I heard no noise. I was not bottomed out. Three wheels were solid on the ground and the front passenger wheel had dug a hole and was spinning while the other three did nothing. Nothing I did would get the other wheels to spin at all.

loveracing1988 01-28-2014 10:58 PM

If off roading was truly one of your ambitions I would have suggested either the all weather package or the off road package but you have what you have. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but you should still have the brake lock diffs which use the brakes to transfer power to wheels that have traction. Did you turn the traction control off? I would suggest taking it to the dealer and explain what happened because that isn't supposed to happen.

Midgitkilla 01-28-2014 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loveracing1988 (Post 967131)
I would suggest taking it to the dealer and explain what happened because that isn't supposed to happen.

That is exactly what I am going to do. I needed to take it to the dealer anyway for the dash recall. Tired of having no speedometer...

kennzz05 01-29-2014 02:07 AM

post the outcome

lstowell 01-29-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midgitkilla (Post 967103)

It would help to post your engine, model, drive train options, wheel size, and whether you are using the factory tires or are aware that they are a compromise not particularly suited for severe snow conditions. Some times "poor mans positraction" of mild braking can get a vehicle parked in deep snow moving, but it does help if the driver, drivetrain, and tires are up to the task.