Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   My SRT8 Braking Upgrade (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/my-srt8-braking-upgrade-7097.html)

LipschitzWrath 03-02-2010 09:44 PM

My SRT8 Braking Upgrade

Hey guys, I am running outta things to do on my SRT8 so my next mod is the braking upgrade. First step, repainting my calipers. See, I have an '08, so I'm not as lucky as you '09 bastards in that I don't have those hot looking red calipers. And seeing as how I feel that paying $1600 at JustForJeeps.com is somewhat outrageous merely to change the color of your calipers, I took matters in to my own hands.

Below are the results. This is the first "step" in my braking upgrade project. As soon as I get my next paycheck, I will be purchasing the Premium Drilled/Slotted Rotors from R1Concepts, as well as Hawk HPS pads all around. As soon as I get those, I'll update this thread. Anyways, here are the caliper pics:

robpp 03-02-2010 09:52 PM

Re: My SRT8 Braking Upgrade

Good job Jason. you will be ahpppy with the R1 stuff too,

hawkman996 03-02-2010 10:21 PM

Those will look very nice mounted back on the jeep. I've got a set of stainless steel brake lines I need to install when I finally decide on what color to paint my calipers.

Did you use duplicolor or G2?

spiker01 03-02-2010 10:28 PM

did you mask all the way around the brembo logo?? that must have taken a loooong time man. good job

LipschitzWrath 03-02-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 162180)
Good job Jason. you will be ahpppy with the R1 stuff too,

Thanks Rob. I'm pretty excited. Those big open spokes on the wheels of the SRT's will really let you see in there at the eye candy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkman996 (Post 162219)
Those will look very nice mounted back on the jeep. I've got a set of stainless steel brake lines I need to install when I finally decide on what color to paint my calipers.

Did you use duplicolor or G2?

These are actually a spare set of black calipers that a friend loaned me (I know, who the hell has a spare set of SRT calipers laying around?). Anyways, I stripped them using aircraft remover and then painted them.

4 coats of G2 and 6 coats of high-temp clearcoat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiker01 (Post 162225)
did you mask all the way around the brembo logo?? that must have taken a loooong time man. good job

Actually, no, those are stencilled back on. You can buy Brembo stencils from various sources, I got these from a company called Rennline. I painted the calipers red, stencilled the Brembo logos on using white caliper paint, and then clear coated everything to protect it. I think it turned out well.

LipschitzWrath 03-26-2010 06:33 AM

*****UPDATE*****

Got the rest of my stuff in from R1 Concepts. Looks to be VERY high quality. Here it is:

It'll be a while before I get to install everything. I am in outage now so I am wokring 12 hours/day, 7 days/week. When I get done with outage, I'll take LOTS of pics during the install.

BOYCHIKS 03-26-2010 06:54 AM

Get those bad boys installed :D

LipschitzWrath 03-26-2010 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOYCHIKS (Post 176827)
Get those bad boys installed :D

Don't boss me!!! LOL.

BTW, is there anyone on here who'd be interested in a set of used rotors? The Jeep has about 12k miles on it so they haven't been used much.

LipschitzWrath 06-05-2010 12:01 PM

*****UPDATE*****

Finally got them installed guys. Took me awhile but I got it. One thing before we start - ALWAYS BUY RUSSELL SPEED BLEEDERS! God they were easy to use. I got the little baggie, too. Well worth the $10 per wheel ($20 for the rear, since there are 2 bleeders per caliper). They work great and save a TON of time.

Anyways, without further adieu, here's the install:

Robert Palmer 06-05-2010 03:00 PM

NICCCCEEE!

Now one question, did you clean the barrel of the rims? :D

LipschitzWrath 06-05-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Palmer (Post 217486)
NICCCCEEE!

Now one question, did you clean the barrel of the rims? :D

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean the hub on the inside of the center of the rim?

Chuck 06-05-2010 05:22 PM

Damn, very nice job :thumbsup: Oh boy you better answer Joe's question correctly or he might ban you :eek::lol:.