Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Suspension upgrade question. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/suspension-upgrade-question-7101.html)

brent 03-02-2010 10:19 PM

Suspension upgrade question.

So, there's quite a bit of information on here on suspension upgrades for a stanard WK. I'm a bit confused on some of the subjects, but really, it sounds like a fun next project.

Money considered... what's the most "bang for your buck" suspension upgrade? BWoody Sway links or bilstein shocks?

I haven't really noticed a bouncy ride in my stock suspension, like others reported. Any stiffer and it'd ride more like a truck and I don't go off road much at all, so I don't really want a stiffer ride but a smoother one would be good, especially on corners. So I'm leaning toward the sway links.

Anyway, I guess my question is... will the bwoody sway links alone make an appreciable difference for me, or are more upgrades required for better cornering?

robpp 03-02-2010 10:29 PM

Re: Suspension upgrade question.

i would do bilsteins if I could only do one.

Joe in PA 03-02-2010 10:46 PM

If your funds are limited, I'd suggest going with an SRT8 rear sway bar first. Easily the best $100 bang for the buck if you ask me. The WK bilsteins would be next for roughly $325, unless your current ones are already shot. As far as the actual sway bar links? That would be last on my list and probably below a set of new springs. ;)

Marlin 03-02-2010 10:49 PM

If you like the "cushion-like" ride that I call " a wallowing pig" don't ge tthe Bilsteins. Although they are my first choice, they definately stiffen the ride, effectively giving you one harder bump rather than oscillating down the road with several bounces.
I think gauging by what you've written sway bars would be the best bet, do the rear first :)

DJ BoNiOmArIo 03-02-2010 11:03 PM

sway bars like everyone else

brent 03-03-2010 11:11 AM

Yeah, you know my Jeep doesn't oscillate on bumps like others report. Not sure if it's just my perception, or if there are subtle differences in suspension parts/systems between years.

Rear sway bar it is! Is it fairly straight forward for me to install in my garage at home?

08Hemi 03-03-2010 11:15 AM

I liked to call it "the HEMI float"...when traveling at high speeds the Jeep would seem to float in the air over bumps, rather than rebound and give me some feedback. The bilsteins with def give you more feedback so they prolly aren't for you.

I drove around with the rear SRT8 sway bar for a couple months and it def stiffened up the rear in the corners

Just my 0.02, but I wouldn't do anything to your springs/struts/shocks if you are happy. I, like many others, was not happy with the suspension. Rear SRT8 sway is your best call

brent 03-03-2010 12:31 PM

Yeah, I can see what you're saying. I'll have to pay more attention at higher speeds.

I can tell you that I hated the way my Commander drove/felt on the road.... it was a small part of the reason I got rid of it.

yousmellfunnytoo 03-03-2010 12:50 PM

As far as install for the rear sway, yeah its pretty easy.

I snapped the head off 2 bolts while I was doing it, making it really hard and requiring me to drill them out, and buy new ones

Use a lot of lube ( awaits someone's witty "that's what she said response") on the bolts

brent 03-03-2010 01:54 PM

Like some PB Blaster penetrating oil? Yeah, need some "that's what she said" comments here. Funny, I'm a nerd by day and I made some of the ladies in the office turn red talking about "penetration tests".

Marlin 03-03-2010 08:49 PM

Maybe take it one step at a time until you're really happy with it? Don't wanna go doing a bunch of susp mods at once and "penetrating" it :p