Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2011+ Dodge Durango-WD (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f177/)
-   -   V6 power steering fluid level down a little bit (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f177/v6-power-steering-fluid-level-down-a-little-bit-71029.html)

vertrkr 01-29-2014 06:57 PM

V6 power steering fluid level down a little bit

1 Attachment(s)
When I first got my Durango the power steering fluid level was right at the max level and always stayed there the first few months. Now it's right in-between the max and min mark and been that way for a month or so. I'm keeping a close eye on it but it seems to have stabilized there whether it's hot or cold. I'm not worried about it as I don't see any leaks anywhere and I looked everywhere. However, it does make me scratch my head where the fluid went. I wonder if the seals might have absorbed enough over time to cause the level change. It's not ambient temp as it's only about 10 degrees cooler than when I got it in September.

Anyway, I'm going to top it off and call it good. The fluid is different than what the V8 uses as it's an electric pump. The part # is 68088485AA and it's called Electric Power Steering Fluid. I got it on ebay for $16 with shipping.

mcfarl58 01-31-2014 09:45 AM

Re: V6 power steering fluid level down a little bit

Quote:

Originally Posted by vertrkr (Post 967544)
When I first got my Durango the power steering fluid level was right at the max level and always stayed there the first few months. Now it's right in-between the max and min mark and been that way for a month or so. I'm keeping a close eye on it but it seems to have stabilized there whether it's hot or cold. I'm not worried about it as I don't see any leaks anywhere and I looked everywhere. However, it does make me scratch my head where the fluid went. I wonder if the seals might have absorbed enough over time to cause the level change. It's not ambient temp as it's only about 10 degrees cooler than when I got it in September.

Anyway, I'm going to top it off and call it good. The fluid is different than what the V8 uses as it's an electric pump. The part # is 68088485AA and it's called Electric Power Steering Fluid. I got it on ebay for $16 with shipping.

You had me until you said "electric power steering fluid." Now I'm confused. My other vehicle has electric power steering. No fluid at all. Perhaps it's electric assisted power steering? In other words, a combination of electric and hydraulic.

Anyway, I wouldn't be worried. Fluid levels can change somewhat over time without leaks.

bill_de 01-31-2014 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcfarl58 (Post 968425)
You had me until you said "electric power steering fluid." Now I'm confused. My other vehicle has electric power steering. No fluid at all. Perhaps it's electric assisted power steering? In other words, a combination of electric and hydraulic.

Anyway, I wouldn't be worried. Fluid levels can change somewhat over time without leaks.

What is you other vehicle?

Chrysler uses an electric motor to drive the hydraulic pump.

---

vertrkr 01-31-2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcfarl58 (Post 968425)

Ya, it's an electric/hydraulic system but I was just quoting what Mopar calls the fluid.

mcfarl58 01-31-2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 968434)
What is you other vehicle?

Chrysler uses an electric motor to drive the hydraulic pump.

---

Pontiac G6. The Cobalt we traded in also had electric power steering.

bill_de 01-31-2014 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcfarl58 (Post 968438)
Pontiac G6. The Cobalt we traded in also had electric power steering.

Thanks.

I never heard of that system. Now after a little time with my best friend Google, I learned something new today ... and can go back to bed. :)

---

mcfarl58 01-31-2014 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 968481)
Thanks.

I never heard of that system. Now after a little time with my best friend Google, I learned something new today ... and can go back to bed. :)

---

Yep. It's becoming more and more common (completely electric power steering) and is a staple in GM vehicles. No need to worry about fluid. On the other hand, if that motor dies, you're screwed. It's especially entertaining when you go to a corrupt oil change shop and they tell you they need to top off your power steering fluid because they checked it and it's low. The look on their faces when you ask them where they intend to put it is priceless. :lol:

Same with a transmission that is a closed system, which the G6 also has. Had one shop tell me that they needed to flush the transmission (never do that btw) because they checked it and it's getting old. I asked how they checked it and stood by them while they attempted to "relocate" the transmission fluid fill spout that never actually existed in the first place.