Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   Detailing Talk With Regency (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/detailing-talk-with-regency-71080.html)

Regency 01-31-2014 02:06 AM

Detailing Talk With Regency

I've been wanting to bring this thread over here for a while now with how successful it's been on the redsite and finally am. If anyone has detailing questions post it up in this thread I detail part-time and it's truly a passion so if you have a question ask! I belong to all of the major detailing forums btw.

Sully6541 02-02-2014 09:02 PM

I'll pull the trigger and ask. I really want to get into detailing my 2010 White gc. My making question is which DA to get and what kind of(and how many) pads to get.

Regency 02-03-2014 12:11 AM

Re: Detailing Talk With Regency

I would go with the Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher. It's currently what I'm using and it's a great starter polisher. I would pair that with the Meguiars MF Pad kit. I would also recommend reading some articles from Mike Phillips at Autogeek.

Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System, paint polishing system, car polish, car detailing system, compounding system, remove scratches
Dual Action Orbital Polishers and pads: Porter Cable 7424 : Porter Cable 7424XP: Lake Country Buffing Foam Pads
Dual Action Orbital Polisher Guide: how to remove swirls, scratches, & oxidation with an orbital buffer. Porter Cable 7424, foam pads, backing plate,

Hope that helps.:thumbsup:

Realistic Detailer 02-05-2014 02:43 PM

Could you discuss what you know about protection of the clear coat finish from things like tree sap and bird dropping? Also, how many vehicles you have actually detailed?

Regency 02-05-2014 08:12 PM

From wax to Opti-Coat and similar coatings. And around a client base of 20.

1st jeep 02-05-2014 10:43 PM

Is it truly necessary to dawn wash before claying? I have it before or prior vehicles, but didnt really know if necessary and then had to put protectant back down b/c of the dawn. Didnt know if dawn cld be skipped
Thanks

Regency 02-05-2014 10:43 PM

No it's not. Clay will take the wax/sealant off anyways.

CNY_WK2 02-05-2014 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1st jeep (Post 971230)
Is it truly necessary to dawn wash before claying? I have it before or prior vehicles, but didnt really know if necessary and then had to put protectant back down b/c of the dawn. Didnt know if dawn cld be skipped
Thanks

From my own personal experience, it is an easier time clay barring the more you remove however

If you have a DA polisher, I would go the route of autoscrub. I have converted to this and I can do my whole car in 20-30 minutes at most.

Autogeek article

1st jeep 02-05-2014 10:53 PM

I thank both of you

YjagetaJeep 02-06-2014 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1st jeep (Post 971236)
I thank both of you

I can tell you from personal experience that yur Grand Cherokee will look better than the day you picked it up if you do a nice DA polish and follow up with a good sealer.

Sully6541 02-08-2014 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regency (Post 969656)
I would go with the Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher. It's currently what I'm using and it's a great starter polisher. I would pair that with the Meguiars MF Pad kit. I would also recommend reading some articles from Mike Phillips at Autogeek. Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System, paint polishing system, car polish, car detailing system, compounding system, remove scratches Dual Action Orbital Polishers and pads: Porter Cable 7424 : Porter Cable 7424XP: Lake Country Buffing Foam Pads Dual Action Orbital Polisher Guide: how to remove swirls, scratches, & oxidation with an orbital buffer. Porter Cable 7424, foam pads, backing plate, Hope that helps.:thumbsup:

Should I use the meguiars da mf compound and mf finishing polish or should I go with meguiars 105 & 205?

Regency 02-08-2014 06:09 PM

Try the MF.