Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   06 GC gets stuck in a gear from time to time...why? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/06-gc-gets-stuck-in-a-gear-from-time-to-time-why-71097.html)

rayfordj1 01-31-2014 02:42 PM

06 GC gets stuck in a gear from time to time...why?

why is it doing this??

Frango100 02-01-2014 12:26 AM

Re: 06 GC gets stuck in a gear from time to time...why?

Which engine/transmission? When is it doing it and in which gear? No check engine light on?

2005JGC 02-01-2014 02:48 PM

When it gets stuck in a gear I am assuming it is going into limp-home mode, The transmission does this when it gets information it doesn't like, this could be an internal fault in the transmission, it could be an external sensor. That is assuming that it is actually going into limp home mode. The exact cause is going to be impossible to nail down over the computer.

NightFury 02-01-2014 05:55 PM

What motor/trans do you have? I think im having the same issues as you. Does the transmission kind of hang in the gear longer than it should?

Strongjeff 02-02-2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayfordj1 (Post 968557)
why is it doing this??

We needs moar infos!

rayfordj1 02-04-2014 01:24 PM

ok sorry, didnt know where to find the replies. its an 06, 3.7 v6...automatic..5 speed i believe..it would usually get stuck in a gear where top speed is 55..dont know what gear that is. But the other day it was first gear!! Every time it happens i have to pull over, turn it off, then restart and everything works fine!! for the mean time.

2005JGC 02-04-2014 01:33 PM

The shift bezel is a common failure, also the nag connector "guide bushing" leaks, could cause low fluid level leading to faults that would trigger limp home mode, ALSO speed sensor failures are pretty common on the NAG, those are above the valve body on the "lead frame" which is a big plastic assembly with the internal circuitry for the transmission on it, you buy the speed sensors and get a free lead frame ;) (for clarification, they do not separate, they are one assembly).

pulling codes will point you in the right direction! We need codes to give much more information.

rayfordj1 02-04-2014 01:54 PM

see my post?

rayfordj1 02-04-2014 01:58 PM

where do i get the codes?

rayfordj1 02-07-2014 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 970444)
The shift bezel is a common failure, also the nag connector "guide bushing" leaks, could cause low fluid level leading to faults that would trigger limp home mode, ALSO speed sensor failures are pretty common on the NAG, those are above the valve body on the "lead frame" which is a big plastic assembly with the internal circuitry for the transmission on it, you buy the speed sensors and get a free lead frame ;) (for clarification, they do not separate, they are one assembly).

pulling codes will point you in the right direction! We need codes to give much more information.

the check engine light was on now it is off. Autozone says they cant pull codes unless the light is on.

rayfordj1 02-07-2014 03:30 PM

06, 3.7 v6, auto, 5 speed i believe

2005JGC 02-08-2014 10:39 PM

The nag 1 transmission has a separate transmission controller so you wont be able to pull transmission codes anyway, any shop with a decent scan tool can pull these codes, but a cheapie OBDII code reader wont, they ONLY talk to the PCM.

Furthermore, what they said is not accurate... it WILL pull codes for up to 40 good trips AFTER the light turns off. When a fault is detected and it turns on the check engine light, the light will only turn off if there are 3 good trips (the computer runs the test on the component or doesn't disagree with the information it is getting from the component 3 consecutive times). After the light turns off it must have 40 good trips before all information on the fault is wiped from the computer....

SUPPRISE, your pimply faced parts slinger isn't a master auto technician ;)

All of that said, if your lights off, don't worry about it, if the light comes on, then worry about it. It may need to go to a shop just to pull the codes unfortunately. The only code you will likely get at autozone if the light comes back on is a P0700 which is simply a code that sets in the PCM to say "hey there is a problem at the transmission controller".