Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export & Diesel Powered Jeep Models (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f79/)
-   -   Roof Rails (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f79/roof-rails-71132.html)

Peter.T 02-01-2014 04:43 AM

Roof Rails

This subject may have been covered already but.....

Today I fitted roof bars to my MY13 Grand Cherokee. While I didn't need to I removed the factory rails to have a look under them. I was quite surprised by the amount of dirt under them. I cleaned the roof, and liberally waxed the surface under the rails. The screws were starting to show some mild rust developing so I cleaned them and applied some CRC Soft Seal and put it all back together.
I would think that this needs to be added to a yearly maintenance list.

Pete.

Braddles 02-16-2014 07:31 AM

Thanks Pete;

Where do you get your rails from?

Were they easy to fit?

Going to get some for my overland when it arrives - so I can fit a retractable awning for when we go camping / fishing etc :-)

Peter.T 02-16-2014 03:41 PM

Re: Roof Rails

Hi Braddles,

I bought them from autoparts0523 Item No 221286033630.

They are a Chinese product (whats not) but seem to be reasonable quality. $195 delivered and they fit well. I won't be using them a great deal and so was not looking to make a huge investment.

Pete

Braddles 02-16-2014 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter.T (Post 976924)
Hi Braddles,

I bought them from autoparts0523 Item No 221286033630.

They are a Chinese product (whats not) but seem to be reasonable quality. $195 delivered and they fit well. I won't be using them a great deal and so was not looking to make a huge investment.

Pete

Perfect - just what I was after.

Thank you :-)

Kind regards,

Brad :-)

Peter.T 02-16-2014 09:50 PM

They are a bit noisy but I think that they all are to certain degree. I don't have anything to compare with so I really don't know if they are better or worse than others.

Braddles 05-08-2014 05:41 AM

Thank you :-)

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

shaggy73 06-03-2014 05:45 AM

Can anyone tell me if the max weight on the factory roof rails of 67kg ( as per the sticker) on the 2014 grand cherokee is for the factory rails or the max weight that the roof can ever handle?
I would like to have roof racks but at only 67 kg seems to be a waste of time
Oh I'm in Australia
Cheers
Shaggy

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

echo7tango 06-03-2014 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggy73 (Post 1031765)
Can anyone tell me if the max weight on the factory roof rails of 67kg ( as per the sticker) on the 2014 grand cherokee is for the factory rails or the max weight that the roof can ever handle?
I would like to have roof racks but at only 67 kg seems to be a waste of time

67kg is quite a bit of weight. I'm confident the roof can hold more, but I don't think you'll want much more than that up there.

I've had roof racks for many years and have hauled a lot of gear up there. A good rule of thumb is to keep the heavy items inside the car, closer to its center of mass, and load lighter items on the roof which is farther from the vehicle's center of mass.

Also, come-along straps are great for cinching loads securely.

ScottEcoDisel 06-15-2014 08:40 AM

I went with the Yakima Whispbar Flush 950,2B

They were a little obnoxious to install because the tolerances were so tight and the instructions were sparse, but I like how they look. Little bit of wind noise above the passenger door sometimes, but not always (not sure why).

If you are ordering from Amazon like I did, you also need the Yakima 8051624 K624 Fitting Kit.

A bit over $435 all in, so definitely more than the Chinese kit reference earlier. I was very picky about how the bars looked, so there were not many options.

echo7tango 06-15-2014 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottEcoDisel (Post 1038056)
Little bit of wind noise above the passenger door sometimes, but not always (not sure why).

One possible factor is your driving speed. Or more accurately the wind speed through you bars. A standing wave sets up and when it does it creates a noise. I've heard a hum sometimes.

Link, standing wave: standing wave - Google Search
(Please let me know if that link works for you or not. Thanks.)

It's about the harmonic resonant frequency of the wind, now that the air has two bars, or nodes, for that standing wave.

There may be other factors, too.

I've been a satisfied long-time Yakima rack customer, and they are strong. Good luck with yours!

ScottEcoDisel 06-15-2014 09:34 AM

echo7tango - makes sense. Similar to how you get the wind buffeting effect through a sun roof, but only at a small mph range - not above or below those speeds.

Mrconnsmythe 09-03-2014 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottEcoDisel (Post 1038056)
I went with the Yakima Whispbar Flush 950,2B

They were a little obnoxious to install because the tolerances were so tight and the instructions were sparse, but I like how they look. Little bit of wind noise above the passenger door sometimes, but not always (not sure why).

If you are ordering from Amazon like I did, you also need the Yakima 8051624 K624 Fitting Kit.

A bit over $435 all in, so definitely more than the Chinese kit reference earlier. I was very picky about how the bars looked, so there were not many options.

I too went with the Yakima Whispair bars (S17 model) and also needed the K624 fit kit. Paid a few bucks more than you did (CDN) yet love the look and have not had any wind noise whatsoever that would have wanted me to close the sun roof. What I did not like is how the K624 fit kit sat on the rails; when located back as far as possible, they were partially resting on the end cap of the rail. Didn't provide a perfect seal or fit around the bar. No matter though, its only a minor cosmetic issue when up close and personal. From afar, I think it looks great.