Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - ZJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f78/)
-   -   Got my first 5.9... Where do i start? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f78/got-my-first-5-9-where-do-i-start-71164.html)

rolfs_slate9er 02-01-2014 09:19 PM

Got my first 5.9... Where do i start?

I'm new to this forum thing... So bare with me. I just got a 5.9 Ltd a week ago. Kinda high miles but looks and runs good. Msd 6al digital. Flowmaster 40. K&N drop in... I have a fer bugs to fix but for $2800... no biggie:thumbsup: The one thing I have got to do first is fix a stumbling problem. It only happens after its warmed up and I restart it. Like after a run to the store. It spits and pops though the air intake and losses all power. Then like a smack in the ass it springs to life.... Full power! Put you in the back seat power... Iv poked at wiring but nothing obvious yet. Not even a cel... Anyone help a newcomer out? I'm sure this has been addressed before....

greenwayer 02-01-2014 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolfs_slate9er (Post 969155)
I'm new to this forum thing... So bare with me. I just got a 5.9 Ltd a week ago. Kinda high miles but looks and runs good. Msd 6al digital. Flowmaster 40. K&N drop in... I have a fer bugs to fix but for $2800... no biggie:thumbsup: The one thing I have got to do first is fix a stumbling problem. It only happens after its warmed up and I restart it. Like after a run to the store. It spits and pops though the air intake and losses all power. Then like a smack in the ass it springs to life.... Full power! Put you in the back seat power... Iv poked at wiring but nothing obvious yet. Not even a cel... Anyone help a newcomer out? I'm sure this has been addressed before....

Could be the throttle position or crankshaft position sensor. Had the same problem of power loss and then suddenly it would just rev up. Changed both and now it's all good. But damn a 5.9 for $2800 that's a great deal bro.

rolfs_slate9er 02-01-2014 10:02 PM

Re: Got my first 5.9... Where do i start?

I'm gonna do a keg port job soon so I planned to replace them anyway. There are some open spade connectors on the msd box that look crappy. Figured I'd solder and heat shrink them first....

I had been looking for a 5.9 for years that was affordable. Poking around cl... it just said grand cherokee for sale. The pics told me what it was really. The couple was moving out of state and needed it gone... Sold!:D

greenwayer 02-02-2014 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolfs_slate9er (Post 969182)
I'm gonna do a keg port job soon so I planned to replace them anyway. There are some open spade connectors on the msd box that look crappy. Figured I'd solder and heat shrink them first.... I had been looking for a 5.9 for years that was affordable. Poking around cl... it just said grand cherokee for sale. The pics told me what it was really. The couple was moving out of state and needed it gone... Sold!:D

I guess they didn't know what it was worth. My 4.0 is worth more than 2800. How many miles does it have?

rolfs_slate9er 02-02-2014 08:28 AM

Re: Got my first 5.9... Where do i start?

I forgot to mention... If it starts acting up I can turn it off and start it rite back up and its fine.:confused: