Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Cherokee-KL (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/)
-   -   dealer-installed trailer hitch (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/dealer-installed-trailer-hitch-71183.html)

jenkinsnmilw 02-02-2014 09:19 AM

dealer-installed trailer hitch

Hello

Has anyone had a hitch installed on a 2014 cherokee latitude by the dealer? What was your cost?

clew 02-02-2014 12:26 PM

Re: dealer-installed trailer hitch

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenkinsnmilw (Post 969318)
Hello

Has anyone had a hitch installed on a 2014 cherokee latitude by the dealer? What was your cost?

If you haven't purchased yet...get the tow pkg.

jenkinsnmilw 02-02-2014 03:47 PM

I have already purchased it.

Desert Hiker 02-03-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clew (Post 969403)
If you haven't purchased yet...get the tow pkg.

If you order the V-6, 3.2L option, the tow package will force you from the 3.251 final drive ratio up to 3.517. If you're not hauling a heavy trailer, you may not want the higher FDR. For my mountain bike rack and infrequent light towing, the 3.251 is my definite preference. A dealer will be installing a tow hitch for me and thus preserving the 3.251 final drive ratio. YMMV.

Desert Hiker

clew 02-03-2014 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Hiker (Post 969817)
If you order the V-6, 3.2L option, the tow package will force you from the 3.251 final drive ratio up to 3.517. If you're not hauling a heavy trailer, you may not want the higher FDR. For my mountain bike rack and infrequent light towing, the 3.251 is my definite preference. A dealer will be installing a tow hitch for me and thus preserving the 3.251 final drive ratio. YMMV.

Desert Hiker

Make sure it is the OEM version, people are having a difficult time getting them installed due to availability. Dont think anyones been able to get it yet, and aftermarket hitch are a really bad fit imo.

Gordo36 02-03-2014 10:41 AM

I purchased a '14 Jeep Cherokee Limited on 11/7/13 which I bought from their lot. It did not have a trailer hitch and I wanted one, so they said no problem, they will probably be available in Jan 2014. They charged me $550. (The tow package on a Jeep is listed at $495 and includes a heavy duty radiator and a full size spare).

In Jan 2014 I called the dealer and was told "there is no estimate when a trailer hitch will be available". Two weeks later I contacted Jeep customer service and was told the same thing. I obtained a Cherokee accessory catalog and there is a trailer hitch listed for just the Trailhawk.

On Jan 27 I went to the dealer and was reimbursed my $550.00.

Jeepster910 02-03-2014 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordo36 (Post 969846)
I purchased a '14 Jeep Cherokee Limited on 11/7/13 which I bought from their lot. It did not have a trailer hitch and I wanted one, so they said no problem, they will probably be available in Jan 2014. They charged me $550. (The tow package on a Jeep is listed at $495 and includes a heavy duty radiator and a full size spare).

In Jan 2014 I called the dealer and was told "there is no estimate when a trailer hitch will be available". Two weeks later I contacted Jeep customer service and was told the same thing. I obtained a Cherokee accessory catalog and there is a trailer hitch listed for just the Trailhawk.

On Jan 27 I went to the dealer and was reimbursed my $550.00.

Be patient as I am sure the hitches will be in stock at some point.
You do want to use an OEM hitch and wiring setup so it looks good and does not hang lower than needed. You do want the lights wiring hooked up correctly and not wired spliced into the lights of the Cherokee.

Gordo36 02-03-2014 11:48 AM

Yes, I agree, I would not go for an aftermarket one that hangs below the bumper. I think that the hang up may be forming the recess for where the hitch fits in the bumper. I wonder why the Trail Hawk one will not fit on the other models. The Limited models do come with a hitch, why can't they supply them to the dealers?

Jeepster910 02-03-2014 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordo36 (Post 969873)
Yes, I agree, I would not go for an aftermarket one that hangs below the bumper. I think that the hang up may be forming the recess for where the hitch fits in the bumper. I wonder why the Trail Hawk one will not fit on the other models. The Limited models do come with a hitch, why can't they supply them to the dealers?

I am not a Trail Hawk guy but I think it deals with the way the bumper is set up for the angle of departure. It has to sit a bit higher in order to clear the up/down hill angles The Hawk has to negotiate. Thus it will not fit a standard Cherokee.

You might want to keep an eye on Mopar parts online and vendors like them. They sell OEM stuff. When they have it in stock the dealer should be able to get it. It is just a matter of time.