Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/)
-   -   Fueling the CRD (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/fueling-the-crd-71187.html)

lectricman 02-02-2014 11:22 AM

Fueling the CRD

Do you all fuel up with the engine running? I just picked mine up and haven't filled it up yet. I was concerned that with all of the sensors and such, one would think some sort of emission code would pop up. Just curious.

fun2drive 02-02-2014 11:49 AM

Re: Fueling the CRD

This is a diesel it should not matter as it is not a closed loop system like gas engines...

lectricman 02-02-2014 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fun2drive (Post 969390)
This is a diesel it should not matter as it is not a closed loop system like gas engines...

Gotcha! I didn't know that. Thanks for the enlightenment.

amr40509 02-02-2014 03:27 PM

I've thought about it but not tried it. I had the same worry as you about any sensors.

Wiley75 02-02-2014 06:17 PM

My humble opinion. I would think that it'd be better to shut it off when fueling unless there is a really compelling reason not to. I think it's a federal law for starters. But I'd also be concerned about washing up sediment from the bottom of the vehicle's tank and pulling it into the supply line. Also there is a lot of fuel aeration while filling and those bubbles could be pulled into the supply line.

lectricman 02-02-2014 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiley75 (Post 969552)
My humble opinion. I would think that it'd be better to shut it off when fueling unless there is a really compelling reason not to. I think it's a federal law for starters. But I'd also be concerned about washing up sediment from the bottom of the vehicle's tank and pulling it into the supply line. Also there is a lot of fuel aeration while filling and those bubbles could be pulled into the supply line.

Excellent points. I didn't think of the sediment and bubbles thing.

racer-xerols 02-02-2014 10:15 PM

I regularly fill my Cummins while running, with no issues. That's what fuel filters are for.

For the sensor concerns...there's no fuel *cap* - what sensor could you disrupt?

I've filled the WK2 twice now while running. No issues whatsoever. As cold as its been, I'd just assume not stop/start the engine unless absolutely necessary.

lectricman 02-02-2014 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer-xerols (Post 969616)
I regularly fill my Cummins while running, with no issues. That's what fuel filters are for.

For the sensor concerns...there's no fuel *cap* - what sensor could you disrupt?

I've filled the WK2 twice now while running. No issues whatsoever. As cold as its been, I'd just assume not stop/start the engine unless absolutely necessary.

I also fill my ISL while running in my motorhome without any issues, that's why I asked the question. However, the RV doesn't have the crazy electronics this thing does. Who knows what could happen.

racer-xerols 02-02-2014 11:00 PM

Again - there's no fuel *cap*.

Other than that...the computer sees nothing at all. Fuel gauge does not talk to the ECM whatsoever - all it talks to is the EVIC, to help figure MPG. There is no evap system (what with no fuel cap, and with being a diesel). The DEF doesn't see anything to do with the fuel tank or filler neck. And last I checked...there's no sensor on the fuel door (the only thing that changes when you're filling it up).

Enjoy the rattle as you fill...and enjoy the heat as you step back inside :)

shoestring 02-03-2014 01:55 AM

I usually fill while running. I figure one less stop/start cycle on the engine.

kennzz05 02-03-2014 06:11 AM

any mention of it in the owners manual? tempted to say do what you want its no big deal, the sediment thing, as mentioned that's what filters are for and any fine sediment will still be wafting around long after you stop filling it

Shertim 02-03-2014 09:15 AM

Just a different world guys, down here I would be amazed anybody would consider fuelling whilst the engine is running, different set of rules I guess :thumbsup: