Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   smartbeam and rainsense (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/smartbeam-and-rainsense-7126.html)

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-03-2010 03:04 PM

smartbeam and rainsense

i have an 06 4.7 and i was offered a new mirror with both rainsense and smartbeam on it. i have already been told that the smartbeam will work eventhough mine did not already have it installed. does anyone know if rainsense will work too? or will i have to take it to the dealer? thanks guys

NHWK05 03-03-2010 05:40 PM

Re: smartbeam and rainsense

Rain sense works off a sensor that is on the wind shield not the mirror IIRC. Mine has a 2x2 square infared sensor on the glass behind the mirror that should be the rain sensor.

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-03-2010 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHWK05 (Post 162908)
Rain sense works off a sensor that is on the wind shield not the mirror IIRC. Mine has a 2x2 square infared sensor on the glass behind the mirror that should be the rain sensor.

thanks, but he would be giving me that as well, he would be giving me that sensor and the mirror with smartbeam on it. i am just wondering if the rainsense would work on any WK or only if they originally came with it.

Scottina06 03-03-2010 11:36 PM

will not work without a harness from moparpartsamerica for $180 and the telematics module

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-03-2010 11:41 PM

thanks scott, i will pass on it haha

Scottina06 03-03-2010 11:50 PM

if you get the harness and telematics box...you can also have night dimming mirrors and hands free talk thru the bluetooth in the mirror

ducks unlimited 03-04-2010 05:29 PM

it awsome feature to have !

wkearney99 03-05-2010 06:45 AM

Um, doesn't the sensor have to be glued onto the glass from manufacturing? I wasn't aware that it could be added to existing glass.

i0r15 03-05-2010 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkearney99 (Post 164009)
Um, doesn't the sensor have to be glued onto the glass from manufacturing? I wasn't aware that it could be added to existing glass.

The sensor itself comes covered with a silicone kind of adhesive. If it's removed and re attached it won't perform the same. Happened to me so I shaved off all the adhesive and I'm now waiting for dealer to get me a new adhesive pad for it. It has to be perfect though, or the sensor won't perform the same.

SilverLimited 03-05-2010 07:48 PM

There are also two different windshields used, one specific for rain sensor and smartbeam operation.

darwood 07-21-2011 10:24 PM

I put a limited mirror w/Bluetooth, auto dimming and rain sensor in my 05 laredo. Just make sure you disconnect the battery during the install or the DIC wont show the features. Got the mirror from Ebay for $85 that came with the rain sensor, harness i got from a Jeep dealer online and i am just waiting to find a cheap telematics module. I have been working on this project on and off for 3 years now :) The Original mirror harness will enable the auto diming feature but you need the extra harness to connect to the rain sensor and up to the telematics module over head, then down the pillar to the back of the radio. Auto dimming works great with the laredo windsheild (if there are two types) and any adhesive that dries clear will work to mount the rain sensor is what i was told by Safelite Autoglass people.

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-21-2011 11:34 PM

wow, this thread is 16 months old lol