Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Wk2 Limited/Overland Sub (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/wk2-limited-overland-sub-71270.html)

imaz 02-04-2014 11:15 AM

Wk2 Limited/Overland Sub

Anyone ever tried swapping the polarity of the sub wires to see if the sub would sound better?

Mine presently sounds weak or unnoticed for the cheapest sounding sub.

Im trying to figure out how to get to it then will try.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free

kkreit01 02-04-2014 03:12 PM

Re: Wk2 Limited/Overland Sub

There's no hope for the OE sub. Your best best is to replace the sub- add amp, and beef up the box, or buy the Stealthbox.

SNUKE 02-04-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 970381)
Anyone ever tried swapping the polarity of the sub wires to see if the sub would sound better?

Weak?
Mine sounds overwhelming, it is too boomy, very uncontrolled. It's horrible with peaks all over the place.

imaz 02-04-2014 06:02 PM

I should add mines a my12. Snuke you have the current model I think.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

SNUKE 02-04-2014 07:19 PM

Ahh, big difference then, but apparently both sound like crap apparently.

1stJeepGC 02-06-2014 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 970381)

Im trying to figure out how to get to it then will try.

Greetings,

If you search this forum, their are many threads about how to upgrade the factory sub. Many opinions differ on the upgrade route how the improved performance helped.

IMHO, the sub enclosure is poorly tuned and the speaker itself is underpowered. When I finally took out mine, I saw for myself it is a complete was of time do anything with this. The magnet on the OEM 8 inch was a joke. Which means if you beef up the OEM enclosure and add a new aftermarket subwoofer, it will not be tuned correctly plus the fact the factory amp power will not be right.

The other major problem with the OEM Sub, is the crossover points in relationship to the front speakers. Which is why you have the problems of the uncontrolled sound. When I was researching in purchasing my JGC in Jan 2011, the early indications was the factory premium system was a joke. Since, I was going to scape it anyhow I did not care why it was so bad and yes i knew xover points were bad. A fellow forum member, VOYAGERX, took time and look into the real problem. Here is an interesting read:

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/facto...nse-55338.html

Hope this helps.

Best for now.:)

imaz 02-07-2014 09:42 AM

Thanks, some what comprehensive! Where is the amp located. I too would think the sub is cheaply made without looking at it. I thought the wk2 had alpine speakers in the limited onwards,

1stJeepGC 02-07-2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 971942)
Thanks, some what comprehensive! Where is the amp located. I too would think the sub is cheaply made without looking at it. I thought the wk2 had alpine speakers in the limited onwards,

Greetings,

The amp is located on the driver side in the back, right by the flashlight and emergency gas tank release.

Use the following guides:

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/audio/2012_WK_audio_wiring.pdf

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - Interior trim removal Select your model year

Even through this is an Alpine system, the specifications were from Chrysler.

Best for now.:)

kkreit01 02-07-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 971942)

The "Alpine" is a joke. Alpine should be ashamed to be associated with these horrible systems. The speakers and amp are supposedly "Alpine", but they are much worse than their lowest quality aftermarket line. The system sounds horrible, and it's horrible to upgrade.

In my first response, I wasn't referring to swapping a different sub in or beefing up the box, and everything will be fine. If one didn't want to buy the JL Stealthbox + amp, you but possibly obtain decent results buy really beefing up OE enclosure (sealing it, 'glassing it, add density, etc), add a decent aftermarket sub, and add a separate aftermarket amp to power it. You don't have to worry about "tuning" in this case. Just pick a sub for a small, sealed box. If you really wanted to, you could measure the cuft of the OE sub to pick a good match.