Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Just did an oil change on my '14 Summit (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/just-did-an-oil-change-on-my-14-summit-71271.html)

wasupdu 02-04-2014 12:24 PM

Just did an oil change on my '14 Summit

Unbelievably easy. I've always changed the oil myself in all vehicles both present and past, but the Jeep has to be the easiest I've ever experienced. My wife's '10 4Runner is a royal PITA compared to the JGC since you need to drop the skid plate and pre-drain the oil filter (underneath).

I set the air suspension on the Jeep to off-road 2 (the highest setting) and did everything from the ground without having to get the floor jack out. I probably could've left the suspension as-is, but I figured I'd raise it as high as possible. Remove the filter (from the top with 24mm socket) and drain oil from underneath (13mm socket). Replace the oil filter. While the oil is draining, lightly clean under the hood, wash the salt off the floor mats, mop the RaceDeck flooring in the garage and put away misc tools left out after previous projects.

Add 6 qts of 5W-20 synthetic (I chose Mobil1) and call it a day. Easy peasy.

bill_de 02-04-2014 01:11 PM

Re: Just did an oil change on my '14 Summit

How boring. :(

Didn't you at least bang your knuckles and draw blood ...

... or drop a wrench and have to dig it out of the suspension some where ...

... or trip and spill a quart of oil all over the garage floor ...

... or have the suspension let loose and have the Jeep come down on your head ...

... or at least close the hood on your fingers?

If none of the above happened, you didn't really change your own oil. :lol:

jeepinAl 02-04-2014 02:12 PM

If you're in Charlotte today/ tomorrow, my garage door will be open til 1800. Feel free to change the oil in my Limited. Sorry no QL, so you might have to work a little harder. Actually doing my first oil change on my '14 tomorrow, so you've given me some hope.

And if drop the hood on my head or even get a bloody knuckle...I'm coming after you Bill:)

Al

wasupdu 02-04-2014 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepinAl (Post 970454)
If you're in Charlotte today/ tomorrow, my garage door will be open til 1800. Feel free to change the oil in my Limited. Sorry no QL, so you might have to work a little harder. Actually doing my first oil change on my '14 tomorrow, so you've given me some hope.

And if drop the hood on my head or even get a bloody knuckle...I'm coming after you Bill:)

Al

You'll be pleasantly surprised.. it's really a piece of cake. I try to do every service that I can on my cars and this is as basic as it comes. I'd seriously rank this as 1 out of 10 on the difficulty scale.

GCLimited 02-04-2014 02:46 PM

How long did you wait for the engine oil to drain out through the oil drain plug before you loosened the oil filter housing up top?

I guess what I'm asking is just how messy of a job is it replacing the oil filter in the GC? I'm used to the older style oil filter canister located underneath the engine...and having the ability to pre-fill the new oil filter before installing it.

wasupdu 02-04-2014 02:54 PM

I removed the oil filter BEFORE I removed the drain plug. Trust me, my garage is my sanctuary and is just as clean (if not cleaner) than the wife keeps the house. I have RaceDeck flooring installed and I'd literally eat off the floor. There was absolutely ZERO mess.

jgrimberg1979 02-04-2014 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasupdu (Post 970467)
I removed the oil filter BEFORE I removed the drain plug. Trust me, my garage is my sanctuary and is just as clean (if not cleaner) than the wife keeps the house. I have RaceDeck flooring installed and I'd literally eat off the floor. There was absolutely ZERO mess.

How many miles did you have on it when switching to mobile 1? Just curious because I have 1500 miles left until my 1st oil change at 3000 on my 14 summit

hawkster 02-04-2014 08:24 PM

Just did my second change on Laredo 4x4. Drove onto small plastic ramps (camper leveling) on the front tires to get some room underneath. Wow it takes a long time for the oil to drain. Oil filter is a snap with no mess. Make sure to use 2014 filter on a 2014, 2013 filter is different. Reset oil change reminder.

Gravy.

2014RedHemiGC 02-04-2014 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgrimberg1979 (Post 970557)
How many miles did you have on it when switching to mobile 1? Just curious because I have 1500 miles left until my 1st oil change at 3000 on my 14 summit

Switched to Mobil1 at 1,000 miles on mine - no issues.

jgrimberg1979 02-04-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2014RedHemiGC (Post 970636)
Switched to Mobil1 at 1,000 miles on mine - no issues.

just curious, why did you change your oil with only 1,000 miles ?

2014RedHemiGC 02-04-2014 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgrimberg1979 (Post 970650)
just curious, why did you change your oil with only 1,000 miles ?

Just like to get synthetic oil in ASAP. It's the factory fill on the others and keeps it simple.

mswlogo 02-04-2014 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2014RedHemiGC (Post 970708)
Just like to get synthetic oil in ASAP. It's the factory fill on the others and keeps it simple.

It comes that way from the factory.

I'd NEVER remove factory oil before 5000 miles.

Too many horror stories.

Did my Limited the other day. No ramps needed, no Quadra lift.

Did mine at 6500 miles and sent it out for analysis.

As much as I like Mobile 1. I think Castrol is better. It also so happens to meet Chrysler Spec and Mobile 1 does not.

Had several problems with very old tired engines and Castrol brought them back to life when Mobile 1 wouldn't.