Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Underbody Coating (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/underbody-coating-71306.html)

esports15 02-05-2014 11:05 AM

Underbody Coating

Has anyone done the underbody coating on their new Jeep? My dealer said they would do it for free...they use lots of salt on the roads here in Salt Lake City.

GCbubba 02-05-2014 11:49 AM

Re: Underbody Coating

free is good

jdshaw 02-05-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esports15 (Post 970870)
Has anyone done the underbody coating on their new Jeep? My dealer said they would do it for free...they use lots of salt on the roads here in Salt Lake City.

Unnecessary. In fact it will trap moisture and lead to corrosion.

esports15 02-05-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdshaw (Post 970944)
Unnecessary. In fact it will trap moisture and lead to corrosion.

I've read conflicting articles pertaining to this...anyone with experiences?

mputnik 02-06-2014 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esports15 (Post 970950)
I've read conflicting articles pertaining to this...anyone with experiences?

I've lived in Sweden for 30 years, all cars are coated when sold in this market as salt has been used for as long as I can remember, specifically in areas where temperatures fluctuate. In the north of the country, salt is not used. Nobody questions the fact that they are coated, its quite the opposite. If you import a car from southern Europe, it is virtually impossible to sell it without treating it with coating. Do our cars rust more than others? Don't think so as I see so many old cars in this market, especially Volvo and Saabs.

DarkHue 02-06-2014 12:46 AM

My truck was offered a coating while doing the 1k service, but with a fee. I will try to find out the exact name of the process (and coating) once I reach home.

4jeepdiesel 02-06-2014 08:40 AM

I did my own undercoating on my 1994 Toyota pickup. They are notorious for falling apart d/t rust. I even sprayed inside the bumpers.

Guess what.... I don't have any rust on the frame or inside the wheel wells, under the bed etc...
Where I do have a little surface rust is a spot above the windshield, bottom of the door panels, and the rear bumper rusting from the outside in (I was rear-ended and it made a small crack in the chrome/steel).

I would have them do it. I don't see where it's going to trap moisture if they do it properly. I think that was a preposterous statement.

Good luck!

bill_de 02-06-2014 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4jeepdiesel (Post 971371)
I would have them do it. I don't see where it's going to trap moisture if they do it properly. I think that was a preposterous statement.

Good luck!

There was a time when what they were spraying on was a pretty thick, rubbery substance. It often was sprayed over everything, including weep holes. I think the material and hopefully the process is a bit better today.

But, by the same token, factory rust inhibitors are also much better today. I wouldn't put it on my Jeep because I don't think it's necessary.

On the other hand, if done properly it shouldn't hurt.

Jakkall 02-06-2014 10:36 AM

I asked the same at my dealership ( Portsmouth NH) they said its not necessary.

crabman 02-07-2014 07:19 AM

They used to (and often still do) spray it over everything without prep trapping in anything that was (is) there. From there it starts degrading and water, salt and other debris can get inside it anyways and be wicked well away from the point of entry where it is retained longer than it would be if the coating wasn't there. Then there is also the concern with them spraying closed breather and drain holes both of which are also causes of increased corrosion. I've worked on boats my entire life and I'm not a young man. I've seen a million and one things done to try and prevent corrosion and the idea that a coating can be worse than nothing is not even slightly preposterous, its often the case. Cars have come a long way in quality, body panels, frame, etc. are galvanized, made of various stainless materials, painted or have other coatings applied. This is probably the reason some new cars specify the warranty on corrosion/perforation is voided if coatings are applied, because there is a concern they will hurt more than they help.

Here in Dutch Harbor I don't see any modern trucks/cars that have rusting issues and we're talking few paved roads, seldom get washed, and exposed to salt every single day of the year. I don't know, maybe there is some factor that makes things worse in the mid west?

BManz 02-07-2014 10:01 AM

A friend of mine hooked me up with Amsoil HD Metal Protector spray ($9/can) as a "rustproofing". I've had it on my 2011 since new and only sprayed one application but after 3 winters I'm still rust free aside from spots I missed and the exposed area of ths front sway bar (Hemi oil filter access). This stuff sprays on like WD-40, dispersing any existing moisture, then leaves a waxy coating. Didn't harm any paint. I sprayed it on and wiped the excess; one can covered the whole WK2 underbody & suspension. If I sprayed to much in one spot it had an orangeish tint but wiping the ecxess leaves the colorless waxy finish. Highly recommended and cheap.

Hammerhead 02-07-2014 10:28 AM

Ya, but that truecoat...

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZejGJfodoQ[/VIDEO]