Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f75/)
-   -   How to: remove door scratches (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f75/how-to-remove-door-scratches-71331.html)

ccp.jose 02-05-2014 11:35 PM

Please help !!

2 Attachment(s)
Well first time posting here so forgive me if a do wrong posting here...

Ok, some idi*t opened his door against my front passenger door leaving two scratches like idk 2 mm each like points and my JGC14 is metallic grey and i can see the white base paint i think that the scratches may be deep i will attach a few pictures.

Does somebody have any experience removing this kind of scratches or do you recommend me to send it directly to the dealer to get the whole door painted? :(

Thanks !

jeepman917 02-08-2014 01:52 AM

You don't want to paint the door for those scratches... Bring to a body shop they will touch it up and maybe do a wet sand and polish. Actually I have a couple of these... Sometimes messing with them causes more problems., if it's a ding, the body shop can bring in someone to do ding repair however you are still left with the white mark...

dun4791 02-08-2014 09:58 AM

Re: How to: remove door scratches

Do not get the door painted. That would be a mistake in my opinion. The scratch looks easy to buff, and the other area should disappear mostly, except for a small area where the white is. Just put a small dab of touch up paint on there with a toothpick.

Go check out autogeek. sign up, search, start this thread there. Very knowledgeable great guys over there.

Red Suns 02-08-2014 11:35 AM

Unfortunately those nicks are into the e-coat and bare metal. Buffing will not do anything for those. Those little nicks are so small I really wouldn't spend too much effort trying to make it "perfect" from a repair standpoint. But I totally understand where you are coming from.

If it were me, I would get some touch-up paint and some matchsticks (the cardboard/paper kind) which work way better then the supplied brush that usually comes with the bottle of touch-up paint.

Use a pair of scissors to cut the matchsticks into a pointed arrow and then dab the smallest amount of paint in the center of the "nick" and then you can gently work the surface tension/viscosity of the touch-up paint from the center out to the edges of where the factory paint is. You might need an extra coat or so to fill up the divot. Then chalk it up as a war wound.

If you are really anal, you could always get some clearcoat in a can and use the same matchstick technique and then wet sand and buff it flat, but unless you are experienced in that, i do not recommend this as you can seriously fubar your door.

ccp.jose 02-12-2014 02:20 PM

thanks very much for your help guys i appreciate it, i think i will leave them there, and i am really anal but i can live with them

Thanks again!

lstowell 02-12-2014 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccp.jose (Post 974738)
thanks very much for your help guys i appreciate it, i think i will leave them there, and i am really anal but i can live with them

Thanks again!

If you decide to try Dr Colorchip, come back with results....

ccp.jose 02-12-2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 974822)
If you decide to try Dr Colorchip, come back with results....

Heey i dont know if its available in my country but i found this review

Dr. Color Chip Review BMW M3 - YouTube