Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Need help with K&N CAI (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/need-help-with-k-and-n-cai-71440.html)

sweiss 02-08-2014 07:29 PM

Need help with K&N CAI

Today I installed the K&N 57-1545 on my 3.7, its a 2008 GC. my issue with is that you can see all the way to the ground when you are looking down at the air filter and you can also see the filter from the grille. How is this safe for the engine and filter, wont the filter get wet and inturn mess up my engine?

Please give my past personal expierances with this CAI.

Thanks in advance!

Strongjeff 02-08-2014 08:21 PM

Re: Need help with K&N CAI

So long as your not offroading or going thru deep water you should be fine. You could look into geting a pre filter. Its a water resistant sleave that slips over the filter. Im running it over mine.

sweiss 02-08-2014 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongjeff (Post 972657)
So long as your not offroading or going thru deep water you should be fine. You could look into geting a pre filter. Its a water resistant sleave that slips over the filter. Im running it over mine.

Thank you, so you have no issues with the hole in the grill to the filter during rain or snow storms or highway travel?

Also I just ordered the K&N Dry Charger, feeling alittle better about the exposed filter now.

Strongjeff 02-08-2014 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweiss (Post 972681)

Thank you, so you have no issues with the hole in the grill to the filter during rain or snow storms or highway travel?

Also I just ordered the K&N Dry Charger, feeling alittle better about the exposed filter now.

No issues even at 80 mph in a down pour. I even took out the little Flappy bit that runs down the side of the radiator. You can see the filter thru the grill. I have pictures of my intake on my build thread so you get an idea how its setup

sweiss 02-08-2014 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongjeff (Post 972703)
No issues even at 80 mph in a down pour. I even took out the little Flappy bit that runs down the side of the radiator. You can see the filter thru the grill. I have pictures of my intake on my build thread so you get an idea how its setup

Thank you, also my Crank case vent hose is slighty kinked due to the pos\sition it has to be in to connect to the plastic pipe, any solutions for this problem? What are the dangers or problems with this hose being lightly kinked?

Strongjeff 02-08-2014 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweiss (Post 972706)

Thank you, also my Crank case vent hose is slighty kinked due to the pos\sition it has to be in to connect to the plastic pipe, any solutions for this problem? What are the dangers or problems with this hose being lightly kinked?

As long as its not fully kinked shut, shouldn't cause an issue. Have you tried to twist the kink out?

sweiss 02-08-2014 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongjeff (Post 972709)
As long as its not fully kinked shut, shouldn't cause an issue. Have you tried to twist the kink out?

Yes, Im going to try a few more things tommorrow, after looking at it and thinking about what it was actually doing and reading a little about and in the process giving myself a history lesson on PCV engines I feel much better about my slight kink, if it was one inch shorter it would be perfect but I don't want to cut it be cause it has the factory bend on the end of it, I'll try moving the entire line back in the engine compartment and using a ziptie or two to hold it in place.

sweiss 02-08-2014 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongjeff (Post 972709)

I was looking at your intake system and notice that your PCV line is just duct taped at a small filter, what dord that do also is your PCV line connected to your intake system in anyway now?

Strongjeff 02-08-2014 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweiss (Post 972760)
I was looking at your intake system and notice that your PCV line is just duct taped at a small filter, what dord that do also is your PCV line connected to your intake system in anyway now?

that's an old picture from when I pieced together an intake. the on I posted is the how it is now. I taped it to a filter to keep crap from getting in there.

sweiss 02-09-2014 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongjeff (Post 972780)
that's an old picture from when I pieced together an intake. the on I posted is the how it is now. I taped it to a filter to keep crap from getting in there.

still a small kink in my line but, the engine is running great, low end feels about the same, but high end power has really increased, don't know about the fuel mileage yet tho.

Strongjeff 02-09-2014 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweiss (Post 972899)
still a small kink in my line but, the engine is running great, low end feels about the same, but high end power has really increased, don't know about the fuel mileage yet tho.

It should improve, especially when just cruising

greenwayer 02-23-2014 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweiss (Post 972681)
Thank you, so you have no issues with the hole in the grill to the filter during rain or snow storms or highway travel? Also I just ordered the K&N Dry Charger, feeling alittle better about the exposed filter now.

It will get wet and can cause severe damage. One of my friends hydro locked his srt with a k&n cai. One of two things will happen the water will burn off in the engine and you won't notice anything or the engine will hydro lock and bend connecting rods causing severe damage. Jeff probably experienced the former and could never tell. Heck even with the stock airbox SOME water goes in but will be much greater with a cai as you can clearly see. It's honestly not worth it. Get an k and n drop in filter instead.