Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Need help with K&N CAI (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/need-help-with-k-and-n-cai-71441.html)

sweiss 02-08-2014 07:30 PM

Need help with K&N CAI

Today I installed the K&N 57-1545 on my 3.7, its a 2008 GC. My issue with is that you can see all the way to the ground when you are looking down at the air filter and you can also see the filter from the grille. How is this safe for the engine and filter, wont the filter get wet and inturn mess up my engine?

Please give my past personal expierances with this CAI.

Thanks in advance!

Madanio24 02-08-2014 08:03 PM

Re: Need help with K&N CAI

No this is fine. It's supposed to have that gap to the bottom. You can get a dry charger cover made by k and n to stop water that has been splashed.

Strongjeff 02-08-2014 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madanio24 (Post 972650)
No this is fine. It's supposed to have that gap to the bottom. You can get a dry charger cover made by k and n to stop water that has been splashed.

Fully agree. I got one on my injin.

sweiss 02-08-2014 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madanio24 (Post 972650)

Thank you so much for the fast response, I saw the " dry Charger" and woundered what it was for. To clarify, the dry charger keeps the water out of the air filter but still flows the same amount of air through the filter?

Strongjeff 02-08-2014 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweiss (Post 972672)
Thank you so much for the fast response, I saw the " dry Charger" and woundered what it was for. To clarify, the dry charger keeps the water out of the air filter but still flows the same amount of air through the filter?

Yep and you wont have to clean it as often

sweiss 02-08-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongjeff (Post 972673)
Yep and you wont have to clean it as often

Thank you, I just ordered the dry charger, I was worried about how it looked after the install, did anyone else have a problem with the crankcase vent hose kinking when they connected it back on to the intake? worried that the kink may make the computer and engine not happy and cause it to throw a code of have another issue.

Solutions?

Strongjeff 02-08-2014 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweiss (Post 972694)

Thank you, I just ordered the dry charger, I was worried about how it looked after the install, did anyone else have a problem with the crankcase vent hose kinking when they connected it back on to the intake? worried that the kink may make the computer and engine not happy and cause it to throw a code of have another issue.

Solutions?

No but mine came with a hose

sweiss 02-08-2014 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongjeff (Post 972697)
No but mine came with a hose

Was it the 57-1545, also how long was the hose? Where did you connect the new hose? and is there any imediate problem that would be caused by my hose being kinked?

Strongjeff 02-08-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweiss (Post 972702)

Was it the 57-1545, also how long was the hose? Where did you connect the new hose? and is there any imediate problem that would be caused by my hose being kinked?

It was a 16inch hose. Hooked into the intake tube to the pcv inlet

sweiss 02-08-2014 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongjeff (Post 972705)
It was a 16inch hose. Hooked into the intake tube to the pcv inlet

So you replaced that entire metal or plastic hose, not the just the ruber hose on the end?

Strongjeff 02-08-2014 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweiss (Post 972757)
So you replaced that entire metal or plastic hose, not the just the ruber hose on the end?

I replaced the whole tube with a rubber one. the new intake relocated where it hooks up.

Strongjeff 02-08-2014 11:18 PM

the bit circled in red

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...89965298_n.jpg