Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Hate brake dust? Cut washing wheels by 50% (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/hate-brake-dust-cut-washing-wheels-by-50-a-71459.html)

A14Austin 02-09-2014 04:36 AM

Hate brake dust? Cut washing wheels by 50%

Next time you wash your Jeep, wash your wheels extra good, and dry them thoroughly. Get some good carnauba wax (regular paint wax) and apply a few coats to all your wheels. (LET EACH COAT CURE!)

Makes a huge difference not only for brake dust but all dirt. Used to do it on all of my clients cars back when I was a detailer. Also, as an added bonus in the winter when they put salt/de-icer on the roads it protects your wheels!

If you want even better results, polish them with some mothers hand polish, then apply the wax.

I went from cleaning my Jeep's wheels once every 2-3 days, to 5-8. A little effort goes a long way if you're phyco about cleanliness like me:D

Save yourself the $8 for the armorall wheel protector BS, that stuff sucks.

I highly recommend Griots Garage products, they are simply awesome. Car Care Products, Detailing Supplies, Auto Accessories - Griot's Garage 800-345-5789

-Hope someone found this useful!

DarkHue 02-09-2014 05:18 AM

Re: Hate brake dust? Cut washing wheels by 50%

That site has Brushes to help you clean wheels (from brake dust I assume), are there specific brushes used to clean wheels ? Or would any brush from a DIY shop work just fine ? I'm wondering if some bristles can damage the wheels.

A14Austin 02-09-2014 05:23 AM

Any brush will work. I like to eather stick with a foam wand for tight spots, or a boars hair brush. The boars hair brush wont scratch anything, and it lasts a long time. I think they offer both on there site.

mzimand 02-09-2014 01:30 PM

I had great results with Armour All Wheel Protectant. But ended up going with ceramics pads which made all the brake dust problems go away.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

CLStech 02-09-2014 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mzimand (Post 972998)
I had great results with Armour All Wheel Protectant.

I do as well but do appreciate the OPs suggestion! Thanks for the info.

hankwedge 02-09-2014 03:28 PM

I wax and use the armor all protectant also but just put hawks and stop tek brakes on.

phillysrt 02-09-2014 05:33 PM

Why don't we just support our vendors and buy from Adams polishers. Deep wheel cleaner is the best stuff I have ever used for brake dust! End of story

CLStech 02-09-2014 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillysrt (Post 973087)
Why don't we just support our vendors and buy from Adams polishers. Deep wheel cleaner is the best stuff I have ever used for brake dust! End of story

Indeed. What does he have to keep it off as well?

phillysrt 02-09-2014 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLStech (Post 973093)
Indeed. What does he have to keep it off as well?

Easy. Clean them off real good with the deep wheel cleaner and then you can seal them with the quick sealant or there is another product and it's a spray product. It's on their site and damn I forget. You'll see it on the sealant area of the site

Adams is a great company and stands buy their products. I hate when others on here bring items from competitors to the site. Let's support ADAMS! Plus we get the 10% off

I quick sealed my rims and pretty much just hose them off now and they are ready to roll!

RedRockSRT8 02-09-2014 06:46 PM

+1 with Griot's Garage wheel wands and wheel cleaner. I use them religiously with fantastic results.

CLStech 02-09-2014 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillysrt (Post 973096)

Easy. Clean them off real good with the deep wheel cleaner and then you can seal them with the quick sealant or there is another product and it's a spray product. It's on their site and damn I forget. You'll see it on the sealant area of the site

I quick sealed my rims and pretty much just hose them off now and they are ready to roll!

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-701-a...k-sealant.aspx

DarkHue 02-09-2014 11:14 PM

Ah I don't have these products where I live. Guess I'll just stick to soap and water :rolleyes: