Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   USA Today - Test Drive: New diesel Cherokee not quite Grand (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/usa-today-test-drive-new-diesel-cherokee-not-quite-grand-71489.html)

Dan JGC 02-09-2014 08:28 PM

USA Today - Test Drive: New diesel Cherokee not quite Grand

Fair article even if the headline isn't:

Test Drive: New diesel Cherokee not quite Grand

CNY_WK2 02-09-2014 08:46 PM

Re: USA Today - Test Drive: New diesel Cherokee not quite Grand

They must have had the pedal on the floor the whole time to only average 19.4 MPG.

I drive mostly highway at 70 mph and am averaging around 24 MPG during the winter.

Zybane 02-09-2014 09:22 PM

Ya, that makes no sense. With 33" off-road tires, and hardly any highway driving I get ~23 MPG and I don't drive slow.

They also make the uninformed comparison that gas vs diesel is solely a "how long does it take to make up the engine cost" argument. Diesel offers so much more than just increased MPG.

mswlogo 02-09-2014 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNY_WK2 (Post 973174)
They must have had the pedal on the floor the whole time to only average 19.4 MPG.

I drive mostly highway at 70 mph and am averaging around 24 MPG during the winter.

I get about that with Gas V-6. With Cheaper Fuel.

The article was pretty much what I concluded before it was even available.

And now the diesel folks towing are concerned about over heating.

Also no life time warranty to boot.

One thing I disagree with in the article is the shifter. It's fine. Takes some time to get used to. At first it did seem very clumsy.

Not sure if firmware updates helped.

yjbeach 02-09-2014 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNY_WK2 (Post 973174)

They did state in the article MIXED. Not just highway driving like you.

zona75 02-09-2014 10:46 PM

This is making the decision process so much harder. I was considering getting the Limited with the diesel. I test drove it and liked it quite a bit, but I can get an Overland with the Pentastar v-6 for less. Cant make up my mind and I think it's going to drive me totally bonkers.

Dan JGC 02-09-2014 11:11 PM

^^^^^^^

I am really leaning to get a 2014 but I have not considered the diesel. My dilemma is between a V8 which I have always had or make the transition to the V6 this time..... gotta do some test drives.

ExcursionDiesel 02-09-2014 11:16 PM

The VM3.0 and Pentastar v6 aren't comparable. The VM3.0 diesel performs more like the Hemi. The fact that the 8 speed for the diesel is the same one used in the Hemi is an indicator of the strength of the diesel motor. Its rated at twice the torque. The VM3.0 would damage the light duty Pentastar tranny with a few hard romps of the accelerator. If you want a lower torque, higher reving "economy" vehicle, the Pentastar is a great choice. Nothing wrong with it. If you want longer range, more towing capacity, Hemi drivability, and way better economy than the Hemi, the diesel is no brainer.

Comparing the diesel to the Pentastar is apples vs. oranges IMHO. BTW, I get 26.2 mpg per tank with mixed city and rural driving with my 4x4 ORA2 Limited CRD. Long trips yield 31.5 at 70mph on the interstate with moderate hills in middle TN. It has exceed EPA ratings in all aspects.

thebc2 02-09-2014 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yjbeach (Post 973222)
They did state in the article MIXED. Not just highway driving like you.

I drive 90%+ city and that's about what I average (and I drive pretty aggressively). Keep in mind, that's with winter diesel blend which can zap mpg pretty significantly. I was given a '14 Overland V-6 for 2 days while my rock rails were being installed and I averaged just over 1/2 as good (12 mpg) doing my normal commute.

I have a hard time giving much credence to this review for a couple reasons:

1) He claims the identical powertrain in a Ram truck is better, yet the Ram is about 600lbs heavier than the JGC (umm hello?).

2) Literally, every other review of the diesel in the JGC says the opposite (see a few below). I think I've read every Ecodiesel review and the USA today review seems to be the only negative one.

Jeep Grand Cherokee gets tougher with Eco Diesel engine | Dallas Morning News

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel First Test - Motor Trend

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/19/au...by-diesel.html

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee First Drive on Edmunds.com

mswlogo 02-10-2014 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zona75 (Post 973225)
This is making the decision process so much harder. I was considering getting the Limited with the diesel. I test drove it and liked it quite a bit, but I can get an Overland with the Pentastar v-6 for less. Cant make up my mind and I think it's going to drive me totally bonkers.

Get the V6 Gas. No brainer.

I can pretty much afford what ever I want under 100K. The V6 Gas, since the transmission was fixed, is really fun to drive. I never thought I'd really enjoy an SUV. It has the nicest purr.

Take out the Overland and stomp on it. Make sure it has latest firmware for transmission or was built after late December 2013. I think you'll be impressed.

You'll NEVER save money with the diesel. You'd have to average in the high 30's for it to pay back before you hit 100K miles.

You have to ADD $4500.00 + $0.50/gal + Urea $0.10/gal

Also add that fine small of diesel you get on your hands and the bottom of your feet when you fill up. Sometimes, not every time. Because it never evaporates. I've owned diesel and I own a diesel tractor. I hate getting diesel.

And based on comments in other threads it doesn't sound like its great for heavy towing either.

I tow 4500lbs with my V6 Gas. Stays nice and cool. Shifts amazing !! Great engine.

The article posted was dead on. Most of the other reviews sound like an advertisement.

Interesting they said it was noisier than competition too.

If you need to feel Macho, get the diesel.

Oh I use a spray paint mask every time I use my Brand new Kubota Tractor. I Feel sick if I use it all day and not wear mask. I really hate Diesel. Oh and ear protection too (more so for the Box Blade than the engine though, engine noise can wear on you too).

I have an oil furnace at one house. Brand new house. I hate that furnace too. I service it myself. What a god awful filthy fuel. Only worse fuel would be coal.

f1anatic 02-10-2014 08:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExcursionDiesel (Post 973239)
Nothing wrong with it. If you want longer range, more towing capacity, Hemi drivability, and way better economy than the Hemi, the diesel is no brainer.

Comparing the diesel to the Pentastar is apples vs. oranges IMHO. BTW, I get 26.2 mpg per tank with mixed city and rural driving with my 4x4 ORA2 Limited CRD. Long trips yield 31.5 at 70mph on the interstate with moderate hills in middle TN. It has exceed EPA ratings in all aspects.

I agree with you in almost every aspect except the fuel economy statement. I agree that the diesel not only exceeds the EPA rating but it is also more frugal than the gas. But the Pentastar ALSO exceeds the EPA ratings and the fuel economy penalty compared to diesel is not as much.

From Chicago to Denver to Trail Ridge Road to Yellowstone to South Dakota to Chicago at 70 to 75, 3 people in the car with luggage for 8 days. I think it did decently. It all depends on each individual's needs...but fuel economy should not be the deciding argument.

scooterha 02-10-2014 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 973416)
I agree with you in almost every aspect except the fuel economy statement. I agree that the diesel not only exceeds the EPA rating but it is also more frugal than the gas. But the Pentastar ALSO exceeds the EPA ratings and the fuel economy penalty compared to diesel is not as much.

From Chicago to Denver to Trail Ridge Road to Yellowstone to South Dakota to Chicago at 70 to 75, 3 people in the car with luggage for 8 days. I think it did decently. It all depends on each individual's needs...but fuel economy should not be the deciding argument.

+10 lol