Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   What do I do now? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/what-do-i-do-now-71491.html)

Dirtsaver 02-09-2014 09:13 PM

What do I do now?

My 2012 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 has a problem. It occurs most commonly when the vehicle is going uphill under fairly light throttle. The vehicle will (jerk, stumble, misfire, lug) or what ever it is called when the engine misses a beat. It feels like the jerking you would get from lugging a stick shift car. But my GC is an automatic and should be shifting down as necessary.

It has only 13,000 miles on it. I took it to the local Jeep dealer and they said they tested it and there is nothing wrong. They said their technician drove it and could not repeat the problem and that there were no codes showing a problem.

I just returned from a 700 mile cross state trip with lots of ups and downs in grade. The Jeep continued to exhibit this bad behavior all the way through the trip. If anything, it seems to be getting worse rather than better.

Should I go back to the dealer again?
Is there an area representative for Jeep/Chrysler that I should contact?
How do I get this issue corrected before my warranty expires this year?

I don't want to just keep suffering through and then have Jeep explain to me that the warranty has now expired and the repair is $5,200 out of my pocket. I'd appreciate any advice.

ENFORCER 02-10-2014 01:49 AM

Re: What do I do now?

Have you tried to drive without ECO on ?

berk483 02-10-2014 05:01 AM

The Hemi shudder/stutter/lugging/fishbite issue has been widely covered here. If yours is doing it there are a few things you can "try"...

First would be to reset the adaptives then after, during the learning process do not go lightly on the throttle. When you are on an incline keep pressing down to make it downshift.

I personally have gotten into the habit of driving without ECO/MDS and my gas mileage doesnt suffer much. Once I start driving I set the high gear. 4 for in town, 5 for country roads and 6 on the highway. Driving like this won't allow MDS to engage so atleast when you have an incline youve got all 8 ready and willing. An even better driving experience is Sport mode and set at 5 on the ERS.

This is just my experience and what works for me...YMMV

Dirtsaver 02-10-2014 10:40 AM

Thanks very much Berk and Enforcer for your replies.
Berk, can you tell me how to drive without the ECO on. Is there a manual way of turning it off?
Enforcer, can you explain how to reset the adaptives?

Is this a condition that Jeep can't repair? Is it caused by the hesitation to downshift when needed?

Thanks for some very much needed help.

Jim_in_PA 02-10-2014 10:41 AM

While there isn't a fix for the "fishbite" to-date, AFAIK, there have been other TSBs for the transmission. Have you had them applied? I have no problem like you describe with my MY2012 Hemi, so other than suggesting that the TSBs be checked, I can't help further.

berk483 02-10-2014 01:34 PM

If you select a gear number using the shifter it will not go into ECO mode. In the 2011-2013's there is no ECO off button.

Dirtsaver 02-10-2014 08:47 PM

Thanks for the information on turning off the ECO berk. The next time I drive it I will put it in 6 and see if I still get the fishbite. I'm thinking that for trailer towing I would want to turn off the 4-cyl / 8-cyl function.

jgc4ever 02-10-2014 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtsaver (Post 973771)
Thanks for the information on turning off the ECO berk. The next time I drive it I will put it in 6 and see if I still get the fishbite. I'm thinking that for trailer towing I would want to turn off the 4-cyl / 8-cyl function.

Tow/Haul button will do that.

2zero12wk2 02-10-2014 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtsaver (Post 973771)

What you might want to do also is call Chrysler directly.
Make a complaint.

They will give you a case #.
You can use that case number at the dealership and for future reference.

Also, try a second dealership.