Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Oil in spark plug (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/oil-in-spark-plug-71522.html)

Sleeps 02-10-2014 03:55 PM

Oil in spark plug

Just did the 16 plug change on my 5.7 2005 limited and found in my last 2 plugs on my passenger side were coated in oil. The spark plugs I took out were destroyed with no tip on them and seems like they were not changed out in awhile. Some where torqued down tight and some were loose compared to the others. I got the jeep at 72k miles and now has 79k. Been driving with the new plugs for about a week and about to check them.

I've asked my more engine friendly buddies about it and gotten different answers. So figured I ask y'all on here before I step into the deep end with what seems like major trouble. Any help is much appreciated!

lstowell 02-10-2014 04:11 PM

Re: Oil in spark plug

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeps (Post 973627)
Just did the 16 plug change on my 5.7 2005 limited and found in my last 2 plugs on my passenger side were coated in oil. The spark plugs I took out were destroyed with no tip on them and seems like they were not changed out in awhile. Some where torqued down tight and some were loose compared to the others. I got the jeep at 72k miles and now has 79k. Been driving with the new plugs for about a week and about to check them.

I've asked my more engine friendly buddies about it and gotten different answers. So figured I ask y'all on here before I step into the deep end with what seems like major trouble. Any help is much appreciated!

I'd just make sure your new plugs are the correct, pricey, model and that you are able to get correct torque on them. If the old ones were royally messed up, they probably weren't firing at all, and that can lead to deposits that can look quite oily.

If I recall, you may want a bit of anti-sieze to re-install the same used plugs after you check them.

2005JGC 02-10-2014 07:17 PM

probably just the valve cover... did you have oil on your socket? They will leak down into the spark plug tube and as you remove it you have some nice lubricant on the threads making them come out a bit smoother. Also have to consider the previous owner may have been the one to do a "tune up" and didn't have the tools or patience for the harder to get cylinder so they just called 14 plugs good. Its hard to tell with a used vehicle.

Sleeps 02-10-2014 08:10 PM

Didnt put anything on my socket to make it easier. Which I will remember for the future since that does seem like it would help a lot. My spark plug was coated in it and the outside of the socket I used to get it out. I put a paper towel down there to try and soak it up which did get some more oil out before I put the new ones in.

How much does a new valve cover cost? I'm pretty sure I could do it just need a free day.

2005JGC 02-11-2014 01:44 PM

No that is not what I meant, I meant exactly what your statement went to about the spark plug being covered in oil and the outside of the socket. That is an indication of the valve cover leaking into the sparkplug tube.

I would suggest NOT lubricating the threads as it can lead to over tightening of the spark plug and thread damage. What I though I read was you mentioning those plugs were easier to remove, I was simply stating that they were likely easier because the oil that was filling up the spark plug tube was leaking down as you loosened them, lubricating the threads and making them easier to remove.