Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Please... Your help is needed. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/please-your-help-is-needed-7162.html)

NCJeep 03-04-2010 01:48 PM

Please... Your help is needed.

Hello Everyone,

First let me apologize. I am new here, and I need some assistance. Typically I like to view a forum and interact a little bit before getting into my own issues, but in this case I need some help.

I am grateful for any feedback on this issue.

OK. I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Rocky Mountain edition with the 3.7L. It has approximately 44,000 miles on it. I purchased it about a year ago used, and have done very little to it except basic maintenance.

Unfortunately shortly after I purchased the car the water pump went out, it was under warranty and I took it to the dealership to get repaired.

Recently I started to hear a noise which "sounds" as if it's coming from the front pass. wheel well or possibly under the floor board. The sound is a clicking or ticking sound. It does not happen all of the time, and usually I hear it when I am on the highway. Itís hard to describe this sound, but to me it sounds similar to the sound you would hear if you stood outside of a parked car that was recently driven. It's sort of a tapping, crackling sound.

My issue is, I need to travel a few hours away, and I am not sure if I should take the trip given this sound that I am hearing. Unfortunately the next time I would be able to take her to the dealership is on the day that I need to be on the road (Saturday).

Has anyone experienced something similar, read any threads of something similar, or has a guess as to where I should begin to snoop around and inspect?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

B.P.O.D 03-04-2010 02:11 PM

Re: Please... Your help is needed.

does the sound come at a certain speed?

555ctsv 03-04-2010 02:12 PM

Is it RPM or speed specific?

NCJeep 03-04-2010 02:21 PM

B.P.O.D- I have noticed that the ticking sound only occurs when I am going 50+

555CTSV- Very good question. I have to admit I haven't checked the RPM's while this was occuring. There wasn't any noticable difference in the feel or engine noise.

Scottina06 03-04-2010 02:22 PM

sounds to me like some sort of cover or skid plate is loose and flapping in the wind if you only here it on the highway. Crawl under it and see if anything in that area is loose.

NCJeep 03-04-2010 02:36 PM

Thanks Scottina06. I will do that. To me it doesn't sound like something loose flapping around. It sounds like it may be exhaust related. Or shall I say the sound is very similar to the ticking sound you hear after you have parked a car that was driven long enough for things to get heated up.

555ctsv 03-04-2010 02:46 PM

Manifold connection bolts? Im not sure how they are on the 3.7L, but after my new engine i found that the 2 bolts that connect the exhaust to the manifold had been cross threaded and were not sealing properly. It caused a sound that occurred at different speeds, rpms, etc... It was very unpredictable. Anyway just a thought, maybe they left something loose after the water pump?

1 GRAND 03-04-2010 02:51 PM

Check the exhaust heat shields.

robpp 03-04-2010 02:57 PM

check the exhaust manifold where it meets the heads. those bolts break off easy.

NCJeep 03-04-2010 03:09 PM

Thanks- 555ctsv, The sound is very unpredictable, and is a FAINT sound (I can't hear it when my radio is turned on)

Thanks- 1 GRAND, I will check the heat shield.

Thanks- robpp, I will check the exhaust manifold connections... Well more like I will get a buddy to help me check these things.

I forgot to mention, I just started learning about cars and how they operate in the past few years. Still a ton of learning to do.

The encouraging news is that these things do not SOUND to bad, and they sound as if they wouldn't be impacted by taking this trip. (With the exception of the Manifold connection concern. That may be problematic)

555ctsv 03-04-2010 03:26 PM

I found mine by just grabbing the exhaust pipe near the cat and shaking it. Of course make sure it's way cooled off before doing that :) If it's exhaust related i dont think there's much damage that could occur by driving it. Good luck!

05quadratrac 03-04-2010 03:53 PM

When my manifold bolts broke it make a loud ticking sound under acceleration but it occurred at all speeds and got louder as I gave it more gas.