Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Cracked Windscreen (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/cracked-windscreen-71637.html)

BobT 02-13-2014 01:02 AM

Cracked Windscreen

The windscreen has cracked for no obvious reason. It's a circular crack about 300mm dia. roughly centred around the black glass behind the rear vision mirror. It's only a guess but I think it might be caused by heat stress. A week and a half ago we were in Adelaide when they recorded 44.7C (112F). The car was parked outside. The area of black glass would have heated up a lot more than the clear glass.

Has anyone has similar cracking?

I'll try to get it fixed under warranty. If not, does anyone know if independent windscreen repairers can do Jeeps?

SNUKE 02-13-2014 02:57 AM

Re: Cracked Windscreen

Good luck with the warranty process, but i doubt you will get a positive outcome.
I hope your have the insurance option for no excess on the windscreen replacement.

Many have said O'Briens can replace it. I know they can for the rain sensing ones if that's what you have.

fwdjeep 02-13-2014 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNUKE (Post 975125)
Good luck with the warranty process, but i doubt you will get a positive outcome.
I hope your have the insurance option for no excess on the windscreen replacement.

Many have said O'Briens can replace it. I know they can for the rain sensing ones if that's what you have.

What costs

SNUKE 02-13-2014 05:37 AM

about $2,000.

allypally 02-13-2014 05:54 AM

Not heard of a circular crack before. Stones generally either do a circular chip, or an elongated crack. Perhaps your suspicion that there was a fault may have some bearing. Worth a try. Otherwise, an insurance claim.

ENFORCER 02-13-2014 06:23 AM

Mine cracked for no reason on the passenger side top just outside of the black dotted paint that surrounds the camera/mirror assembly. The crack traveled in a circular direction towards the centre of the screen. I have pictures somewhere.
Jeep said that I must have hit something, which was bullshit. I told them it was a thermal or stress crack. I did not bother fighting them as I had screen insurance. First time I have ever replaced a screen in one of my cars.
Make sure you get a Mopar screen.

BobT 02-14-2014 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENFORCER (Post 975180)
Mine cracked for no reason on the passenger side top just outside of the black dotted paint that surrounds the camera/mirror assembly. The crack traveled in a circular direction towards the centre of the screen. I have pictures somewhere.
Jeep said that I must have hit something, which was bullshit. I told them it was a thermal or stress crack. I did not bother fighting them as I had screen insurance. First time I have ever replaced a screen in one of my cars.
Make sure you get a Mopar screen.

Sounds just like mine. I'll get a pic and post it.

WK2GCMY13 02-17-2014 06:41 AM

My one year old pristine Limited CRD cracked exactly the same circular around the black shaded mirror area. No chip, no impact and stationary in a carpark while i watched. Weather was hot with air-con on. Macarthur Jeep was sympathetic but said no way will Jeep Aust replace windscreens. There are others with similar cracked WK2 screens on the net and very obvious this is a manufacturing fault. Currently driving with cracked screen and very cranky at Jeep for not admitting fault.:mad::mad:

AAAA 02-24-2014 11:07 AM

Doubt I am being helpful as I am in USA, but here the windshield and rear window are warranted for 12 months/12,000 miles... had mine replaced... 2 hook ups to dealer's computer to "re-learn" the rain sensitivity.

BobT 03-01-2014 04:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought my cracked windscreen was due to heat stress but I think I'm wrong. After I washed the car. a rare event indeed, I noticed a small chip about 1cm from the edge, see the yellow arrow in the photo. The white arrows show the extent of the crack. It is disappointing that such a small chip can totally destroy a windscreen. I would have expected better. The white rectangle on the inside of the windscreen is my tollway e-TAG.

ENFORCER 03-01-2014 06:51 AM

Bob, Mine was EXACTLY the same place. I bet it is not a stone, but some problem with either the screen or the way it is fitted. Mine also had a chip, bit I think it is more to do with the edge of the screen and the way it cracked.
I only hope you have screen insurance, as they are expensive.

BobT 03-02-2014 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENFORCER (Post 984355)
Bob, Mine was EXACTLY the same place. I bet it is not a stone, but some problem with either the screen or the way it is fitted. Mine also had a chip, bit I think it is more to do with the edge of the screen and the way it cracked.
I only hope you have screen insurance, as they are expensive.

It would be interesting to see if the States are having the same issue.

Screen insurance? :wtf: