Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   4.7 Guys spark plug question. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/4-7-guys-spark-plug-question-7167.html)

05quadratrac 03-04-2010 03:57 PM

4.7 Guys spark plug question.

I checked one of my plugs today and its way off, it was gaped to much it wouldnt fit any of the gauges on my gap coin even the .40 was too small so I guess its time for some new ones. The whole driver side seems simple and should only take a few min, the passenger side seems a little tougher the hardest being the back on like you guys told me before, my questions are do I need to move the vacuum line that passes right over/next to it and also do you guys take all the coil pack thing off and leave them off till they are all replaced or do you put them back on after you finish each plug? Does it make any difference it seems like you might be able to move them around more easily if they are all off vs. taking one off at a time. Im worried i'll replace the 7 and wont be able to get the back #8. :)

Scottina06 03-04-2010 04:16 PM

Re: 4.7 Guys spark plug question.

youll be fine bro....even if you take all them off at the same time...the wiring on the coil packs is so short i dont think youll be able to put the coils back on the wrong plug

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-04-2010 04:18 PM

i moved the vacuum out of the way and also the two dipsticks that cover the last plug. it was a PITA to get to but after a while and a few cuts on my hand i was able to do it. getting it back in was cake, it was only time consuming trying to get it out. i replaced each one after i did each one so no dirt or debris could fall in there.

05quadratrac 03-04-2010 05:04 PM

Thanks, I was just wondering if having them all off at the same time helped maneuver the last coil packs out of the way it seems like it would be a PITA to pull it out with such a short wire to work with. I need to pick up a can of compressed air to blow out the plug holes too since my compressor is too far away right now to reach it and someone stole my longer hose.

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-04-2010 05:35 PM

no, having more than one out at once will not help.

StoneCold 03-04-2010 06:05 PM

I found the two rear ones on the left hand side the worst, just because of the dipsticks and the vacuum line. I used about four different socket extensions and it was east enough. Had the usual cut knuckles.

I agree that taking more than one out at a time won't help

05quadratrac 03-04-2010 07:15 PM

Thanks guys, im learning this stuff as I go so im always afraid i'll mess something up bad since this is my daily driver also. I just picked up the plugs, they only had Autolite but they are .40 copper core and the guy said the same exact thing as the Champion's so i'll give them a shot hopefully I can get my MPG back to what it use to be, the oil change seemed to help some.

speed"n"jeep05 03-04-2010 07:24 PM

should of saved up and got some e3 plugs, they work great. I noticed a 1-2 mpg gain, not a huge deal but well worth the extra money.

05quadratrac 03-04-2010 07:44 PM

I'd gladly take a 1-2mpg increase, I would have went with better plugs but everyone was saying stay stock so I was afraid to switch. I forgot to get some of that gel stuff for the plugs, do I need that or can I get away without using it? I really dont feel like driving back to the auto store again haha.

scjeep4.7HO 03-04-2010 08:23 PM

Drivers side is easy. I would pull all coil packs then replace each plug as you remove it then reinstall all coil packs at the same time on drivers side. Make sure to anti seize the plugs and I also use die electric grease on the inside of the coil pack so that they go on and off easier. On the passenger side i would still take all coil packs off and do each plug as before. If you do all coil packs at once your not swapping sockets as much and with the plugs replaced after each removal nothing will fall into the cylinder, so no worries.

05quadratrac 03-05-2010 04:57 PM

Thanks for the help guys, it turned out to be a simple job, even the last plug was easy and I had the whole job done in less than an hour, im glad I used compressed air to blow out the plug holes I couldnt believe all the crap that flew out of them. The worst part was the wires for the coil packs is so short it doesnt give you much room to work with after that pulling the old plugs, throwing some electric grease and anti seize on the new ones and installing them and throwing the coil packs back on was a breeze so hopefully now with the new oil and plugs my MPG will get back to normal. The gap on the old plugs was about a .50. I finally got around to cleaning all the salt grime off the Jeep and cleaning the engine bay its looking pretty good for just a fast wash i'll post some pics later. :D

Scottina06 03-05-2010 05:06 PM

cool....yep when I changed mine it was real easy....I dont remember having any problem with the rear twp plugs/coils