Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Oil Life (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/oil-life-71715.html)

makris0000 02-14-2014 07:21 PM

Oil Life

I got the recall fixed on my GC and before I brought it to get fixed, my oil life was on 78% and after they fixed the recall, the oil life now says it's at 44%. I only have 2200 miles on my car. How did it drop about 30%? I have a feeling it is from the updates they did to my car but I don't think it's right. How many miles so all of you go until you do your first oil change?

SnoFire 02-14-2014 10:40 PM

Re: Oil Life

Mine did the same thing, don't worry. You can reset it and it should go back to what it was at, atleast mine did. If you do the reset again it should go back to 100... This only happened after the 1st tranny update.

jeepinAl 02-14-2014 10:48 PM

First oil change was at 4170, indicator was at 55%.... if that helps.

Non dusty Carolina air, in the shop for three days working on the heater, so some idling. Normal operations, i guess.

schmieg 02-14-2014 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makris0000 (Post 976020)
I got the recall fixed on my GC and before I brought it to get fixed, my oil life was on 78% and after they fixed the recall, the oil life now says it's at 44%. I only have 2200 miles on my car. How did it drop about 30%? I have a feeling it is from the updates they did to my car but I don't think it's right. How many miles so all of you go until you do your first oil change?

I had exactly the same thing happen, even the percentages are the same. I'm down to 24% now and have to drive over 600 miles this weekend. The vehicle has 3070 miles on it. I hope I can make it home before it hits 0.

The Evil Twin 02-15-2014 09:46 PM

Personally, I think the more widgets a car has on it the more folks worry about it.
The oil life indicator couldn't care less about the actual quality of the oil in the case. Only a pre set number of parameters. Don't over think it.

GCLimited 02-16-2014 08:04 AM

^ Exactly.

That's why I plan on ignoring my oil life meter and just change the oil every 5000 miles with Mobil 1...which is three times a year for me.

SW03ES 02-16-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Evil Twin (Post 976589)
Personally, I think the more widgets a car has on it the more folks worry about it.
The oil life indicator couldn't care less about the actual quality of the oil in the case. Only a pre set number of parameters. Don't over think it.

I concur. Just change the oil according to the schedule and you'll be fine.

The Evil Twin 02-16-2014 08:38 PM

I never worried about oil temperature until I had a gauge :)
FWIW, last I changed my oil by the indicator I sent some to Blackstone Labs. They said that it was fine and to go another 2000 miles and retest. Of course I had already changed it but good to know the Amsoil was holding up well!

SW03ES 02-16-2014 08:47 PM

For me it's the tire pressure. I'm always checking the tire pressure lol

jacko15 02-16-2014 11:18 PM

Years ago we used to pull out the dipstick and smell the oil to determine whether it needed changed. :eek:

schmieg 02-16-2014 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacko15 (Post 977134)
Years ago we used to pull out the dipstick and smell the oil to determine whether it needed changed. :eek:

Well, I had 3100 miles on the GC Saturday morning and the oil meter indicated 24% remaining. I drove from Cincinnati to Fort Wayne and back on Saturday and from Cincinnati to Columbus and back today and now have a bit over 3700 miles. The indicator is down to 8%. Guess I'll be doing an oil change in the next couple of weeks.

I'm planning a 5000 mile trip starting at the end of August. Hopefully, if I change the oil right before I leave, I can make it back before it requires it again.

Paul Bernard 02-17-2014 07:09 PM

[QUOTE=schmieg;977147]Well, I had 3100 miles on the GC Saturday morning and the oil meter indicated 24% remaining. I drove from Cincinnati to Fort Wayne and back on Saturday and from Cincinnati to Columbus and back today and now have a bit over 3700 miles. The indicator is down to 8%. Guess I'll be doing an oil change in the next couple of weeks.

I'm planning a 5000 mile trip starting at the end of August. Hopefully, if I change the oil right before I leave, I can make it back before it requires it again.[/QUOTE)

That has always been when I have changed my oil between 3500 and 4200 miles. Your post got my attention for my wife and I are planning to drive out west this mid April. From Northern Virginia to Scottsdale Az. and several stops in between. Its 2200 miles to Scottsdale, (my daughters) and I also wondered if I could make it on one oil change but I think not. I see approx. 6000 miles plus all said and done. I also put new Michelin XLT MS2's on my 2013 JGC Ltd. not because I wanted to for the Latitudes only had a little over 20,000 but vibrated and got noisy. The MS2's have 2000 on them and I love the ride. I will feel much more confident driving out west. They were expensive but the old piece of mind will be nice. Hope your trip is safe and enjoyable.