Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   About to Buy a Jeep GC in Brisbane - Advice Needed. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/about-to-buy-a-jeep-gc-in-brisbane-advice-needed-71765.html)

Braddles 02-15-2014 11:00 PM

About to Buy a Jeep GC in Brisbane - Advice Needed.

I am new to the world of Jeep (and this forum!)...

I live in Brisbane and recently purchased myself a fishing boat - and so next came the need for a comfortable car to tow it, and allow me to head over to Frazer and Straddie fishing / camping etc.

After a LOT of looking, I have decided on a Jeep GC overland, TD, in black, and have spent the last 2 weeks negotiating prices.

The thing is - I am worried I am missing somthing when choosing the Overland over the Summit.

The Summit (as I am lead to believe) is a limited edition of 200 cars and is seemingly cleverly marketed as "upmarket" over and above the Overland.

The Summit (as I am aware) has:

1. Extra Plastic "Chrome" around the front (I think it looks over the top and tacky personally)
2. Coloured wheel arch trims and skirts (My Car will be black so wont matter / be noticable)
3. Different wheels - which IMHO are again tacky (shiney, spoke like) - I much prefer the overland wheels which are more contemporary, solid and classy.
4. Few more speakers in the sound system
5. Different hood liner
6. Natura-Plus "Leather" which is I am told is not even genuine leather on the seats!!! (Cant believe this!!)
7. Extra 5K on the price tag over the overland for above features.
8. Summit are all 2013 build plate. I can get a 2014 Build plate car from next month. (come resale, a 2014 car will be worth more than 2013, regardless of a few trinkets).

I would be keen to hear peoples opinion?

Did anyone else choose an overland, over the summit for similar or any other reasons?

Have I missed something about the summit and I should reconsider?

Lastly, I want a few extras on the car - but have been put off by the rediculous prices they want, then slugged ~30% with luxury car tax and stamp duty on these prices...

Tow Bar => Does anyone in Brisbane fit tow bars, that work with the reverse sensors (turn off when tow ball in use) etc, for a sensible price? I have been quoted $1500 for a factory option one.

Front Tow hook => Does anyone in Brisbane fit these?

Underbody protection => Someone told me there is someone on this site, who is developing such underbody protection in Brissy??

Thanks so much in advance for your thoughts / sharing your experiences.

Kind regards,

Brad.

DCRSRT 02-15-2014 11:08 PM

Re: About to Buy a Jeep GC in Brisbane - Advice Needed.

It appears you have already convinced yourself about Summit v Overland.

I don't believe any towbar that fits our cars turns off the sensors (I thought mine did 'coz it was a "Jeep" branded wiring plug, but it doesn't).

Front tow hooks and bash plates are almost ready for sale by Chief Products. I'm sure the 4x4 boys will chime in shortly.

Buy the Overland and spend the $5k on the extras you want.

Braddles 02-15-2014 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCRSRT (Post 976629)
It appears you have already convinced yourself about Summit v Overland.

I don't believe any towbar that fits our cars turns off the sensors (I thought mine did 'coz it was a "Jeep" branded wiring plug, but it doesn't).

Front tow hooks and bash plates are almost ready for sale by Chief Products. I'm sure the 4x4 boys will chime in shortly.

Buy the Overland and spend the $5k on the extras you want.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. :thumbsup:

I am strongly leaning to the overland, simply because I feel it is a nicer looking car, and better value for money, from what I understand currently. If the Summit could be had in 2014 Build Plate it may change things..

It does make my laugh that dealers will happily call a car built last year a "2014" model... yet as sure as the sun will go down tonight in 3 years time it will be a 2013 model at trade time. (Thats a whole other kettle of fish! :lol:)

Thanks heaps for the name of the Brisbane contact re/- 4wd after - market options - much appreciated!!

Kind regards,

Brad.

SNUKE 02-15-2014 11:50 PM

You forgot the Cigar Lighter.
Actually the swivelling lights is probably the biggest thing after Audio

The upgrades/differences, over/to the Overland are:

RCAS: 19 SPKRS High Perf Audio
LMQS: Adaptive Bi-Xenon HID Headlamps
MF1S: Body Color Grille w/Chrome Inserts
WSCS: 20X8.0 Aluminium Polished Wheels
*HL: Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats
C1CP: #3 Seat Foam Cushion
JJAP: Cigar Lighter
RDHP: 825 Watt Amplifier

The Overland will more than likely have Tow Hooks, it seems all of the most recent arrivals since about Oct have chrome tow hooks on them.

This is the protection plate thread - http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/wk2-su...ate-62583.html
Of course you could get the Overland with ORA II that includes them.

If you're going off road, then Overland all day every day over the Summit. If you love the extra chrome (which it seems you don't) then go the Summit.

Tow bar, depending on dealer usually $1,100-$1,300 for fitted. Some have had it fitted and it turns off the park sensors, ours doesn't. There is a button on the dash to turn it off manually. Ours is usually off most of the time anyway as it is so damn sensitive.

Summit leather, this are a few threads arguing about this, if it is real leather or not. No firm answer but most believe it is, and unfortunately it has used the name of a popular fake leather brand.
All of the Jeeps non suede leather is coated in a clear plastic/vinyl anyway.

A few members on here wanted the Summit, but got Overlands due to the denial from Jeep Aus that it was coming. Now the sSummit is here, none of them are unhappy they got Overlands instead.

Here is a new Aus feedback post about their Summit - http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/my-ne...ood-71762.html

SNUKE 02-16-2014 12:01 AM

Jeepless posted this pic Dec 20 from a dealer in Newcastle, Overland with Chrome Tow hooks.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/attachment...0&d=1387505527

There have been ads on Cars guide with them showing too.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-for...--4WD-in-.html

http://photos.carsguide.com.au/car/0...582469_1_m.jpg

Braddles 02-16-2014 12:33 AM

Thanks for your replies guys - much appreciated!

Snuke - very good info - you have told me more than any of the salesmen could combined! I was told I had to get a genuine tow bar at $1500 or the rear sensors would constantly alarm when reversing with boat trailer on (and drive me mad!). No mention of manual off button - so thank you :-) Leads me to further chase after-market tow bar. Any suggestions / who did people use who provided good service at a fair price?

Excellent news on the front recovery hooks - i just hope they are functional and not for show and held in by a crappy little bolt..

Seems I will be going for the overland

I will def be using this over on bay islands.. so standard 20" tyres should be OK deflated to 20psi on sand I am told. No interest in bush bashing so no plans on getting off road 18" rubber at this stage...

Price wise - I think I have done pretty good - 70K neat for a TD Overland 14 build plate (End of March ETA) or 73500 for a summit (all 200 2013 built and could have this week) Does this seem to be a good deal for others forum members shopping around now?

Regards,

brad :-)

Marty K 02-16-2014 01:03 AM

Brilliant price. Congratulations :thumbsup:

GMWK2 02-16-2014 01:29 AM

I guess my advice, for either the Summit or Overland, is make sure you get in writing that any items you want - towbar, recovery hooks etc, are fitted to the car at delivery. Jeep and its dealers have a habit of not being able to keep their word or deliver cars as ordered.

If the car is not as ordered at delivery - walk away and do not accept the car till as is correct.

SJandL 02-16-2014 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMWK2 (Post 976700)
I guess my advice, for either the Summit or Overland, is make sure you get in writing that any items you want - towbar, recovery hooks etc, are fitted to the car at delivery. Jeep and its dealers have a habit of not being able to keep their word or deliver cars as ordered.

If the car is not as ordered at delivery - walk away and do not accept the car till as is correct.

Whilst I appreciate everything that GMWK2 has said with regards to not accepting the vehicle per the contract, I think each case should be taken on its own merit.

We accepted delivery of our '14 Overland minus the towbar because it was not available at delivery time even though it had been pre-ordered by us 3 months prior. The dealership was upfront and said it had been backordered and there was an approximate wait time of 2-3 months on it.

We already had a towing vehicle ('07 WK), so it was a case of here nor there for us, and true to their word, 3 months later, the dealership rang and said it's here - we can fit it whenever it suits.

We actually delayed install until the 10,000km service because it suited us that way.

We were also one of the ones that wanted the Summit but were told it was never going to be an option for the Australian buyer (despite the fact the Milous always said Australia would get the Summit) so we went ahead with the purchase of the Overland.

Of course (and as Milous always said), the Summit has arrived downunder.

However (putting all the 'pissed off' emotions about the fact that we were effectively lied to about its availability) and taking a closer look at both vehicles, the Overland is clearly the one that most suited us in the end.

If both vehicles had been available to us at time of purchase, we would have still gone with the Overland. We don't need 19 speakers, we don't need a cigar lighter, and I shudder at the suede headliner with regards to children.

The grill is not something that I warm to but the directional headlights would have been a feature that we would have liked but overall it doesn't matter. The adaptive ones on the Overland are more than fine.

We most definitely wanted skid plates so optioned up to ORII on the Overland. My understanding is that this is not an option for the Summit. You would have to source and have them fitted after-market.

Anyway, I've rambled enough. We have no regrets with the Overland over the Summit. It does sound like the Overland would be your choice of variant as well by what you have posted.

Congrats on the excellent price as well. :)

Benn0 02-16-2014 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braddles (Post 976678)
I will def be using this over on bay islands.. so standard 20" tyres should be OK deflated to 20psi on sand I am told. No interest in bush bashing so no plans on getting off road 18" rubber at this stage...

Price wise - I think I have done pretty good - 70K neat for a TD Overland 14 build plate (End of March ETA) or 73500 for a summit (all 200 2013 built and could have this week) Does this seem to be a good deal for others forum members shopping around now?

Regards,

brad :-)

Whoa! that is a good deal, I bought a ltd diesel with the offroad pack for $67k, it is also due end of march. Maybe I should have gone the overland for that price....

I've heard mixed stories about the 20s on the islands, some say no problem, others have said hit a tree root on an inland track and killed the rim. I'm going with 18s. First trip looks like being fraser.

Braddles 02-16-2014 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benn0 (Post 976724)
Whoa! that is a good deal, I bought a ltd diesel with the offroad pack for $67k, it is also due end of march. Maybe I should have gone the overland for that price....

I've heard mixed stories about the 20s on the islands, some say no problem, others have said hit a tree root on an inland track and killed the rim. I'm going with 18s. First trip looks like being fraser.

Glad to hear I have driven a good deal :-)

As with the wrong info given to you regarding the summit availability, it is terrible, but comes as no surprise! Generally I have found the dealers really poorly informed - and whilst they try hard to baffle the brain with bullsh*t - some of the crap that comes out of their mouths and their lack of product knowledge nearly had me crossing the jeep off my list. In fact I still have great reservations about where to take it to get serviced. By far, the best (most genuine, "normal") salesman I have found was at Aspley, but they couldnt match the price of the dealer at Mt Gravatt.

Yup - I think the overland is def the value pack if going off road with the air suspension, and all adaptive cruise, collision mitigation, blind spot monitoring and the cold air blowing over your bum with those seats on a 38deg day was nice on the test drive :lol: Has Nappa leather too.

With the off road pack - what is included? I have heard it is a no cost option on the overland - as they just switch the 20" wheels for lower cost 18" ones - everything is is already on the overland yeah?

I will def get under body protection after market.. I know there is MOPAR options - but have heard they are very thin and dont stand up too well.

Our first trip will be Moreton I'd say... at Easter if it is here and ready :-)

Thanks for all your advice so far :thumbsup:

Brad.

shorto64 02-16-2014 04:24 AM

Welcome bris jeep owner
1st there is a front tow hook on the RHS on the bottom half of bump there is a little panel that you put off and tow hook is behind it
2nd not sure how big your boat is but my understanding with 29 in wheels is you don't get the 3.5 T tow rating myself would go with 18in can drop tyre pressure a lot more them with low profile 20in and get a bigger foot print on the sand specially if your towing
3th with the tow bar go with the factory 1 I got my jeep GC from Salters at Moorooka and paid $1300 11 months ago