Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/)
-   -   Magnaflow exhaust..installed (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/magnaflow-exhaust-installed-71769.html)

MuSh 02-15-2014 11:54 PM

7 Attachment(s)
BLUF: if you are looking for an improved exhaust note, don't buy it (or any exhaust system for that matter.) I was hoping to get a more pronounced exhaust tone, but it sounds exactly the same. Almost $1500 up a hogs ass. The tips do look great, but that's the only benefit I see in this product at this point. I don't fault Mangaflow though. I don't know if it's the engine, or the down pipe,catalytic converter or what, but damn, this ecodiesel is quiet. Save yourselves the money. Don't buy this or any cat-back exhaust. Here are the pics for what it's worth...one before pic and the rest are afters. I did some baseline 0-60 runs before the install. I'll do some more to see if there is a discernible performance gain, but I doubt any result will be statistically significant.

Strongjeff 02-16-2014 12:16 AM

Re: Magnaflow exhaust..installed

More then likely it is your DPF. Diesels do not have cats on them.

MuSh 02-16-2014 09:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Yeah. That massive thing. Thx for the correction. There are also some pretty nasty dents in the piping that I'm surprised to see they did.

Strongjeff 02-16-2014 10:06 AM

Wow, thats horrible. While there may not have been a real noticeable change in exhaust note, I do believe that it helped some In the power department.

Strongjeff 02-16-2014 10:10 AM

You could wait and see if someone comes up with a turbo back system.

ferntree 02-16-2014 11:09 AM

Damn, that's a bummer, but I can't say I'm surprised. Turbos mute a lot of the sound before it gets down the exhaust, to the point that you can almost run some of them without mufflers, or at least get by with small ones. Can you return it?

MuSh 02-16-2014 11:25 AM

For fun, I decided to start the jeep with no mufflers. It too sounded like nothing changed. At that point I knew that no "cat"back in the world would produce a different sound on its own, but I went ahead with the install anyways.
I've never had this happen with all my previous turbos...granted this is my first turbo diesel.

I could probably return it, but it's just not worth the hassle at this point. Removing and reinstalling back to stock, boxing it back up and probably paying to ship the massive box back. I'll probably just hang on to it and hope for future products that can be installed upstream and maybe work well as a whole.

I took some video of before sound, no muffler sound, and will maybe do an after sound. Just for the sake of reference.

crabman 02-16-2014 12:52 PM

I'm not surprised. I had a 3G Cummins on the dyno for several days and we installed all kinds of mufflers, pipes, systems, up to 5" all the way and a straight through muffler similar to a Corsa design. In that case it did get louder but not nearly so much as you would think. Later on when honed injectors and turbos became available I installed those along with stacked boxes and supporting mods. The ante went up big time then...

Wiley75 02-16-2014 01:07 PM

MuSH - thanks for the honest information. So often when we humans spend our hard earned cash on an item like aftermarket exhaust, etc we spend hours convincing ourselves and others that it was worth the $$. Even if it wasn't. So your honesty is admirable.

Not to hi-jack this thread but what size/brand of tires are you running? Those look pretty cool.

thanks
Wiley75

mahdey 02-16-2014 06:13 PM

This is why DPF back systems are a huge waste of money.

racer-xerols 02-16-2014 11:41 PM

I've run (and raced) the Mopar 2.2 turbo 4 cylinders since the '80s. My street cars run a 2.5" no-cat, no-muffler exhaust...and they aren't loud. Stock is 1-7/8" with cat, with muffler. My 2.5" adds some throat, but doesn't rattle windows.

I have a 2001 Ram Cummins 5.9 that I just put a 4" Banks exhaust with power elbow on. From 1900-2100 RPM I get some drone (compared to stock), but nothing "loud" at all.

Turbos have a habit of "cuisinart-ing" the exhaust note, and they will keep it quiet. And I do believe the 3.0 is a quiet motor in general. I'd be interested in any performance gains, but frankly? I like the luxury-quiet of the WK2. I put an SLP Loudmouth exhaust on a 2005 Magnum R/T with a 5.7 Hemi and at full-boot it sounded great...but just driving it around? Sucked. It ruined the car. Maybe I'm getting old, but I'm starting to like my cars and my motorcycles with quiet exhausts...

amr40509 02-17-2014 08:58 AM

Thanks for being the test subject on this one!

I agree, as I get older...I'm liking quite. The 2% of the time that I'd like the loud aggressive tone...isn't worth giving up the 98% that I like the quite smoothness.