Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   2011 Overland with 20" and Yokohama Prada Spec x (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/2011-overland-with-20-and-yokohama-prada-spec-x-71779.html)

docluv01 02-16-2014 11:50 AM

2011 Overland with 20" and Yokohama Prada Spec x

Ok Guys, i'm sorry if this has been asked, but I have read thread after thread, but not with my specific criteria.

I have a 2011 Overland woth 20" aftermarket wheels
http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheel..._mba_ci3_l.jpg

And Yokohama Prada Spec X tires (265/50-20). As soon as I got the truck, I swapped out stock for the yokohamas. When I 1st got the tires, they were great. Now, I have 31k and the tires absoltely suck in the snow/ice. AWFUL!

I rotate my tires religiously, but the treadlife/performance has been horrendous! I got em from tire rack based on user surveys, and they were supposed to be the best. NOT!

I live in the NYC area, where we get a nice mix of everything. I wanted an good all around tire, that is decent in rain/snow/ice, and i won't be the embarrased one with a 4x4 v8 SUV getting stuck in snow.

I know the stock tires are bad, so I won't even ask that. I can understand the tirerack surveys are a bit skewed.

Can someone pls recommend a good tire :( I don't want dedicated, but would like a good all around tire that everyone has a good experience with. I NEVER go off roading, so thats a plus :)

Thanks in advance!!! :)

jgrimberg1979 02-16-2014 09:05 PM

I am looking for a good replacement tire for my 14' summit. The stock Goodyear fortuna suck in the snow and i want to replace them with something better but not a winter tire, just an all season that rides quiet and handles snow and ice better than what I have now. Unfortunately there aren't too many options for 265/50/20. I want michelins but they don't really make anything for that size

Strongjeff 02-16-2014 09:17 PM

Re: 2011 Overland with 20" and Yokohama Prada Spec x

Quote:

Originally Posted by docluv01 (Post 976851)
Ok Guys, i'm sorry if this has been asked, but I have read thread after thread, but not with my specific criteria.

I have a 2011 Overland woth 20" aftermarket wheels
http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheel..._mba_ci3_l.jpg

And Yokohama Prada Spec X tires (265/50-20). As soon as I got the truck, I swapped out stock for the yokohamas. When I 1st got the tires, they were great. Now, I have 31k and the tires absoltely suck in the snow/ice. AWFUL!

I rotate my tires religiously, but the treadlife/performance has been horrendous! I got em from tire rack based on user surveys, and they were supposed to be the best. NOT!

I live in the NYC area, where we get a nice mix of everything. I wanted an good all around tire, that is decent in rain/snow/ice, and i won't be the embarrased one with a 4x4 v8 SUV getting stuck in snow.

I know the stock tires are bad, so I won't even ask that. I can understand the tirerack surveys are a bit skewed.

Can someone pls recommend a good tire :( I don't want dedicated, but would like a good all around tire that everyone has a good experience with. I NEVER go off roading, so thats a plus :)

Im about to buy General tires G-Max AS-03's. I had Nitto 420's. they were great but I probably wont use em in snow tho

1stJeepGC 02-17-2014 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docluv01 (Post 976851)

Greetings,

I am also in the NYC area and yes between the winter mix of rain, ice, sleet, snow and pot holes, I have the Nokian Rotiva AT to get me around. They have it in 275/55/20. There are threads here that tell you the pros and cons of that size tire.

Nokian Rotiiva AT

The key to driving in this mix is find a tire that use a soft tread compound. In lower temperatures, the softer the compound the better the grip. They general have silica or various different types of natural oil to achieve the soft gripping power. The other key component is what is called siping, the lines in the tread block. They help in the contact of the various forms of water. Tires that have the mountain flake symbol, are geared for the winter mix. If your area is subject to constant icing, then you might have to get a dedicated winter tire, which will give you the softest grip possible.

You can go with all season highway tire like the Michelin MS/2's, Firestone Destination LE2 and the Cooper Discoverer HT+ are some tires that come to mind right now. The on/off road all terrain tires is the other choice. The Cooper Discoverer AT3 is another strong choice, Hankook RA 10, Goodyear Wangler AT Adventure. The other advantage of having an AT tire, it helps with pot holes if you cannot avoid them. Do not go 65 miles an hour, but do slow down.

Be prepared to spend some money. Your safety and the safety of passengers is important.

Hope this help and Best for now.:)

jgrimberg1979 02-17-2014 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stJeepGC (Post 977165)
Greetings, I am also in the NYC area and yes between the winter mix of rain, ice, sleet, snow and pot holes, I have the Nokian Rotiva AT to get me around. They have it in 275/55/20. There are threads here that tell you the pros and cons of that size tire. Nokian Rotiiva AT The key to driving in this mix is find a tire that use a soft tread compound. In lower temperatures, the softer the compound the better the grip. They general have silica or various different types of natural oil to achieve the soft gripping power. The other key component is what is called siping, the lines in the tread block. They help in the contact of the various forms of water. Tires that have the mountain flake symbol, are geared for the winter mix. If your area is subject to constant icing, then you might have to get a dedicated winter tire, which will give you the softest grip possible. You can go with all season highway tire like the Michelin MS/2's, Firestone Destination LE2 and the Cooper Discoverer HT+ are some tires that come to mind right now. The on/off road all terrain tires is the other choice. The Cooper Discoverer AT3 is another strong choice, Hankook RA 10, Goodyear Wangler AT Adventure. The other advantage of having an AT tire, it helps with pot holes if you cannot avoid them. Do not go 65 miles an hour, but do slow down. Be prepared to spend some money. Your safety and the safety of passengers is important. Hope this help and Best for now.:)

They don't make the MS/2's in 265/50/20

docluv01 02-17-2014 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stJeepGC (Post 977165)
Greetings,

I am also in the NYC area and yes between the winter mix of rain, ice, sleet, snow and pot holes, I have the Nokian Rotiva AT to get me around. They have it in 275/55/20. There are threads here that tell you the pros and cons of that size tire.

Nokian Rotiiva AT

The key to driving in this mix is find a tire that use a soft tread compound. In lower temperatures, the softer the compound the better the grip. They general have silica or various different types of natural oil to achieve the soft gripping power. The other key component is what is called siping, the lines in the tread block. They help in the contact of the various forms of water. Tires that have the mountain flake symbol, are geared for the winter mix. If your area is subject to constant icing, then you might have to get a dedicated winter tire, which will give you the softest grip possible.

You can go with all season highway tire like the Michelin MS/2's, Firestone Destination LE2 and the Cooper Discoverer HT+ are some tires that come to mind right now. The on/off road all terrain tires is the other choice. The Cooper Discoverer AT3 is another strong choice, Hankook RA 10, Goodyear Wangler AT Adventure. The other advantage of having an AT tire, it helps with pot holes if you cannot avoid them. Do not go 65 miles an hour, but do slow down.

Be prepared to spend some money. Your safety and the safety of passengers is important.

Hope this help and Best for now.:)

Thanks for the suggestions...I agree, I don;'t mind spending the money, as long as the tires will indeed be safe!

1stJeepGC 02-17-2014 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgrimberg1979 (Post 977181)
They don't make the MS/2's in 265/50/20

Greetings,

My fault, I meant the 275/55/20. Some people are running those with no problems. But, do check out any thread that folks are running that size for the pro and cons.

Best for now.:)