Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Cherokee-KL (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/)
-   -   OEM Tow Setup On Order (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/oem-tow-setup-on-order-71835.html)

NHPATRIOT 02-17-2014 05:05 PM

OEM Tow Setup On Order
 
Have been working with my dealer to come up with parts needed to add the factory hitch to my Cherokee as it didn't come with the tow package( wanted it but didn't work out ). We looked up my vehicle in the schematics and then looked up a similar Latitude that had factory tow so we could see what was different and get a parts list.

It looks like we have all the parts needed and everything is on order now. Everything shows available with the longest expected arrival time of 2 weeks, including the hitch( in stock and parts guy said 2-3 days ). Only the MOPAR tow harness kit was not available yet but is due to be available shortly.

Not a lot needed it appears. Just the rear fascia, the hitch, and 6 hitch bolts for hard parts. And of course the MOPAR wiring kit if you so choose. At least it looks that way based on the schematics and parts lists.

As soon as the hard parts arrive I am picking them up for my body guy to put on and then I will have the dealer do the tow wiring as it also requires a dealer flash I was told. The most expensive thing is the MOPAR tow harness kit. Be prepared for sticker shock( $200+ ).

Anyway, once the stuff arrives and everything is installed I will post part #'s for you. I don't have them now( hard parts - have the MOPAR tow harness )or I would. I will have to get them off the slip after I pay. Also, this is for a Latitude w/ 3.2L. There will be some variation on parts if you have a 4 cyl and/or a Limited. Also, the TH will use all different parts( tow harness may be the same? ).

I know lots of people are interested in doing this. I hope in 2-3 weeks tops to be able to provide a parts list people can use to order what is needed. At least for a similar vehicle to mine.

Stay tuned...:D

Alphainfinity 02-18-2014 12:15 PM

Re: OEM Tow Setup On Order
 
How about the heavy duty engine cooling and 3.517 final drive ratio? That is probably the most important piece of the tow group...

NHPATRIOT 02-18-2014 01:08 PM

Re: OEM Tow Setup On Order
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphainfinity (Post 978012)
How about the heavy duty engine cooling and 3.517 final drive ratio? That is probably the most important piece of the tow group...

I have no need of the 3.51's. I may or may not add the engine cooler? My boat comes in just under the 2000lbs limit. I also tow mostly during duck season( Oct - Feb )so it is cold out when towing as well. If my Patriot could tow it this vehicle sure can.

I would say the hitch is the most important part of a tow package personally. That other stuff doesn't do squat for towing if you can't tow. :lol:

Alphainfinity 02-18-2014 01:47 PM

Re: OEM Tow Setup On Order
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT (Post 978032)
I have no need of the 3.51's. I may or may not add the engine cooler? My boat comes in just under the 2000lbs limit. I also tow mostly during duck season( Oct - Feb )so it is cold out when towing as well. If my Patriot could tow it this vehicle sure can.

I would say the hitch is the most important part of a tow package personally. That other stuff doesn't do squat for towing if you can't tow. :lol:

Ha! The same could be said if you don't have the engine cooling and drive ratio suggested by the manufacturer. Not my cherokee though. Good luck on the ducks!

NHPATRIOT 02-18-2014 02:52 PM

Re: OEM Tow Setup On Order
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphainfinity (Post 978048)
Ha! The same could be said if you don't have the engine cooling and drive ratio suggested by the manufacturer. Not my cherokee though. Good luck on the ducks!

You do realize the Cherokee without the tow package is rated to tow 2000lbs right? 4500 is with the tow package. As said 2000lbs is enough for my needs.

kpender 02-21-2014 08:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was going to use my dads enclosed trailer to haul my street bikes, but I bought this instead. It weighs 345 lbs. With the bikes, it should weigh around 1200lbs. We'll under the 2000 lb limit. I'll be towing long distances.

Alphainfinity 02-21-2014 05:46 PM

Re: OEM Tow Setup On Order
 
What kind of trailer is that? We need to haul two touring bikes behind ours...looking for a way to do it.

kpender 02-21-2014 07:23 PM

It's an Aluma trailer. 63"x8' and 345 lbs. it has a 2000 lb dexter Ez lube torsion axle. It's been sitting at a dealer here in St. Louis for a few years. It's a brand new 2011 model. I paid $1300. They have a more reinforced trailer with wheel jack up there for $1500.

Jeepster910 02-22-2014 09:46 AM

Re: OEM Tow Setup On Order
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphainfinity (Post 978048)
Ha! The same could be said if you don't have the engine cooling and drive ratio suggested by the manufacturer. Not my cherokee though. Good luck on the ducks!

Does not the extra engine cooling come with the V6? Anyway they would have to add extra cooling for the V6 over the I4.
Before my first Jeep I towed a 1900lb boat and a 1500 pop up with a V6 celebrity wagon. Everything was stock. Just the aftermarket hitch and spliced wiring was added. It worked fine for 3 years till I bought my first Cherokee. I just changed the Transmission fluid every year. It lasted 14 years.
I do think a non trailer group Cherokee is much more capable than the wagon was.

Desert Hiker 02-22-2014 12:02 PM

Re: OEM Tow Setup On Order
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepster910 (Post 980269)
Does not the extra engine cooling come with the V6? Anyway they would have to add extra cooling for the V6 over the I4.
Before my first Jeep I towed a 1900lb boat and a 1500 pop up with a V6 celebrity wagon. Everything was stock. Just the aftermarket hitch and spliced wiring was added. It worked fine for 3 years till I bought my first Cherokee. I just changed the Transmission fluid every year. It lasted 14 years.
I do think a non trailer group Cherokee is much more capable than the wagon was.

Yes, V6 option includes heavy duty engine cooling and 180-amp (vs. 160-amp) alternator. Is there an auxiliary/extra + heavy duty engine cooling for V6 + tow package? Doubtful, but possible.

My build sheet shows "NHBP - Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler" - not sure whether it's a Trailhawk feature, or a V6 feature but my TH does not have the tow package. Jeep.com Build & Price does not list the aux. trans. cooling as a part of the tow package for a TH w/ V6.

Desert Hiker

Jeepster910 02-22-2014 05:03 PM

Re: OEM Tow Setup On Order
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Hiker (Post 980309)
Yes, V6 option includes heavy duty engine cooling and 180-amp (vs. 160-amp) alternator. Is there an auxiliary/extra + heavy duty engine cooling for V6 + tow package? Doubtful, but possible.

My build sheet shows "NHBP - Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler" - not sure whether it's a Trailhawk feature, or a V6 feature but my TH does not have the tow package. Jeep.com Build & Price does not list the aux. trans. cooling as a part of the tow package for a TH w/ V6.

Desert Hiker

Thats what I thought with the V6.
The trail Hawk includes AD2 which has the aux trans cooler.
So order AD2 or the tow and get the trans cooler. What a deal!
Thanks
Limited 4x4
V6 w/AD2
Tech
Luxury
Tow
Nav.

NHPATRIOT 02-22-2014 05:55 PM

Re: OEM Tow Setup On Order
 
I wish jeep would get their info accurate. Seriously, how hard is it to just take a second and make the correct info available to people. You never really know what is true and what isn't. According to Jeep.Com Spec's( 4WD models - Sport/Latitude/Limited/TH )...

Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler - ALL Standard
160 AMP Alternator - ALL Standard
180 AMP Alternator - Available Latitude/Limited/TH ( Part of Tow Group )
Engine Oil Cooler - ALL Standard
Tow Group - ALL Optional Includes...
  • 7 and 4 Pin Wiring Harness
  • Class III Receiver Hitch
  • Full Size Spare Tire
  • Trailer Tow Wiring Harness
  • 180-Amp Alternator (Unavailable with some configurations) *Not on Sport*
  • 3.517 Final Drive Ratio (Unavailable with some configurations) *V6 Models Only*
  • Heavy Duty Engine Cooling (Unavailable with some configurations)
I wonder what they mean by HD Engine Cooling? Maybe there is a different radiator or electric fan or something. I thought it was the engine oil cooler but their spec page says all models get that standard so???


EDIT - I just went to the Jeep site and got my build sheet( get yours >>> HERE <<< - click Equipment Listing on the left then enter vin # ). I have a Latitude 3.2L ADI and no Tow Group. My vehicle has...

Engine Oil Cooler
Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler

So not sure what HD Engine Cooling is with the Tow Group unless it is a different radiator or fan or something as said earlier. I thought it was the oil cooler. Either that or the V6 comes with it standard and the 4cyl doesn't so the 4cyl gets it as part of the Tow Group( hence the unavailable on some comments ). BUT the Jeep site says all models have the oil cooler so?????


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community