Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Cherokee-KL (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/)
-   -   Engine Problem (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/engine-problem-71841.html)

mtchavez 02-17-2014 09:08 PM

Engine Problem

Ordered a Limited loaded with everything but the sunroof (11/23/13) Car was delivered to the dealer on 2/10/14. During preparation the dealer noticed engine noise. After 4 days of testing and talking to jeep. Jeep wants to replace the engine. If they do they will give me 100k warranty on the car. Or I can reorder my choice. What would you do. This is the first time I have ordered a car. Any help will be appreciated. Mike

Strongjeff 02-17-2014 09:14 PM

Re: Engine Problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtchavez (Post 977675)
Ordered a Limited loaded with everything but the sunroof (11/23/13) Car was delivered to the dealer on 2/10/14. During preparation the dealer noticed engine noise. After 4 days of testing and talking to jeep. Jeep wants to replace the engine. If they do they will give me 100k warranty on the car. Or I can reorder my choice. What would you do. This is the first time I have ordered a car. Any help will be appreciated. Mike

If it was me, I would take the new engine and run off with a brand new engine plus the warranty. You wouldn't have to wait as long either vs ordering a new one.

mosier 02-17-2014 09:38 PM

I'd try suggesting they sell you a Trailhawk at the same cost, optioned identically to the Limited, (let you order it if one can't be located), and also throw in the 100k powertrain warranty on it. Shoot for the stars, that way if you just hit the moon, you still win. But, this is of course from me understanding that the 100K warranty they offered was just powertrain? Or was it a "bumper to bumper" 100K warranty? If so, Strongjeff's suggestion of accepting the new engine and moving forward is a good idea. What engine is it, 2.4 Tiger Shark or the 3.2 Pentastar? I know you said "loaded with everything but the sunroof", which implies the Pentastar, but I still wanna ask to be sure. What exactly is the issue?

mtchavez 02-17-2014 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongjeff (Post 977679)
If it was me, I would take the new engine and run off with a brand new engine plus the warranty. You wouldn't have to wait as long either vs ordering a new one.

Yes that's what I thought. Wifey is afraid that the mechanics at the dealer may not installs it correctly. I still think if it is warrantied
It should be ok. Plus since it will be covered bumper to bumper. It would be a plus.

mtchavez 02-17-2014 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosier (Post 977692)
I'd try suggesting they sell you a Trailhawk at the same cost, optioned identically to the Limited, (let you order it if one can't be located), and also throw in the 100k powertrain warranty on it. Shoot for the stars, that way if you just hit the moon, you still win. But, this is of course from me understanding that the 100K warranty they offered was just powertrain? Or was it a "bumper to bumper" 100K warranty? If so, Strongjeff's suggestion of accepting the new engine and moving forward is a good idea. What engine is it, 2.4 Tiger Shark or the 3.2 Pentastar? I know you said "loaded with everything but the sunroof", which implies the Pentastar, but I still wanna ask to be sure. What exactly is the issue?

Don't know exactly but it was serious enough for jeep to step in and replace it. It is the v6.

Strongjeff 02-17-2014 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtchavez (Post 977727)
Don't know exactly but it was serious enough for jeep to step in and replace it. It is the v6.

As far as I know cylinder head issues are on the 3.6

mosier 02-17-2014 10:41 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking. I was unaware of any of the cylinder head issue shenanigans on the 3.2. Hmmmmmm...

Strongjeff 02-18-2014 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosier (Post 977752)
That's exactly what I was thinking. I was unaware of any of the cylinder head issue shenanigans on the 3.2. Hmmmmmm...

It is possible that it is the same issue. I think that the 3.2 is a smaller bored variant of the 3.6. It its even possible that the head design is the same.

Strongjeff 02-18-2014 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongjeff (Post 977788)

It is possible that it is the same issue. I think that the 3.2 is a smaller bored variant of the 3.6. It its even possible that the head design is the same.

After a quick dig around. The 3.2 is in fact a smaller bored 3.6 and shares the same stroke as the 3.6. Both engines are 24 valve doch. Both have die cast blocks.

jp467 02-18-2014 12:53 AM

I really doubt this is a cylinder head problem. If it was they would just replace the head. This sounds like it was just a defective engine. I would not touch the vehicle if were me. It might be fine with no issues, but then again it might not you never know. Once you own it it's yours problems and all and even though you have a warranty your still the one that has to deal with it. It is also very likely this is the first engine your dealer has replaced on one of these which means on the job training on your brand new jeep. It might be worth the wait for another one or maybe they can cut you a good deal on something they have in stock or can get from another dealer.

Desert Hiker 02-18-2014 10:15 AM

I would either negotiate for a new vehicle in inventory, or reorder. This is probably the first attempt at a 3.2L engine change for the dealer, there's the possibility of collateral damage during the transplant, and rattles are just a few concerns. I would only consider the engine transplant IF the dealer is excellent and close by, the Cherokee is not important to your daily life, and the potential hassle factor won't be a bother. The MaxCare Lifetime will give you a rental car during repairs so that helps.

YMMV.

Doug

Alphainfinity 02-18-2014 12:02 PM

Agree with Desert. Reorder and get things done right from the factory. I wouldn't trust the dealer with an engine replacement on the first year model of a vehicle. Then you have a piece of mind that things were put together correctly.