Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Foggy xenon headligts on 11-12 GC (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/foggy-xenon-headligts-on-11-12-gc-71844.html)

b_vs 02-17-2014 10:27 PM

Hi every one. I've being reading and I haven't found nothing about why in most 11-12 GC I've seen around always the headlights looks like foggy on the inside, like if some thing inside sweat and form a layout that looks like the transparent plastic where burned with the sun like a 10 year old car that pas a lot of time in the sun. Does anybody have "cleaned" the inside of the headlight transparent plastic to remove the "foggy" look? I've being thinking in remove my headlights and disassemble them and maybe take the chance to paint the interior Trim like SRT headlights. Tomorrow I'll post a pic of my Lights for you guys know what I'm talking about. Thanks for reading.

b_vs 02-17-2014 10:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Also at night the Xenon lens make like a reflection on the dirty inside plastic.

BF07 02-18-2014 03:41 PM

Re: Foggy xenon headligts on 11-12 GC

Cleaning the inside of a lens with any chemical will surely destroy it so be careful how you go about this.

b_vs 02-18-2014 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BF07 (Post 978110)
Cleaning the inside of a lens with any chemical will surely destroy it so be careful how you go about this.

have you done it some time?

eugene3524 02-19-2014 05:49 PM

I would definetly do that if I was you, Done it plenty of times to previous cars Ive owned, use a heat gun or a preheated oven at about 275 for 10 minutes, then pull the assembly apart, clean the lense with w/e you want..never had an issue with windex.

b_vs 02-19-2014 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eugene3524 (Post 978712)
I would definetly do that if I was you, Done it plenty of times to previous cars Ive owned, use a heat gun or a preheated oven at about 275 for 10 minutes, then pull the assembly apart, clean the lense with w/e you want..never had an issue with windex.

Ok ill do that this weekend but the oven will not turn yellow the lens with the heat? Thanks in advance

eugene3524 02-19-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_vs (Post 978752)
Ok ill do that this weekend but the oven will not turn yellow the lens with the heat? Thanks in advance

No, all it does is soften up the bonding so you can pull apart the pieces. Once you are done put both back in the oven to get the bonding melting again then press the two together. I would also pick up some clear RTV silicone adhesive from any autozone or advance auto and go over the oem adhesive to ensure a nice seal. That is the most important part to resell properly. Most common place to screw up the headlight by moisture getting in and getting foggy. I've done at least 6 headlights and never had an issue with this method

Jeep_addicted 02-20-2014 10:32 AM

BVS are you sure that the it is not the outside of the lense that needs cleaning?

Have you tried cleaning the outside?

Most headlights will start to look dingy after a couple years especially on cars that don't get washed often.

I do headlight restorations and most of the cloudiness comes from contaminants sticking to the outside of the lense.

Just like you need to wash you paint every so often to take off the contaminants you have to do the same to your headlight lenses.

What I do as maintenance for any car that I have had from new is that I use the clay bar on the plastic lenses to remove road grime, oxidation and contaminants that affect the optical clarity of the lenses.

My personal opinion is the less abrasives used on the headlight lense the better so I always start with the least aggressive method first.

b_vs 02-20-2014 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep_addicted (Post 979113)
BVS are you sure that the it is not the outside of the lense that needs cleaning? Have you tried cleaning the outside? Most headlights will start to look dingy after a couple years especially on cars that don't get washed often. I do headlight restorations and most of the cloudiness comes from contaminants sticking to the outside of the lense. Just like you need to wash you paint every so often to take off the contaminants you have to do the same to your headlight lenses. What I do as maintenance for any car that I have had from new is that I use the clay bar on the plastic lenses to remove road grime, oxidation and contaminants that affect the optical clarity of the lenses. My personal opinion is the less abrasives used on the headlight lense the better so I always start with the least aggressive method first.

Jeep addicted Thanks for your advice, believe me, I made a little proof that the foggy aspect of the lens is In the inside because I polished a little part of the lens on the inside of the good shape and the dingy aspect still there. I've read in a Spain forum that one guy did what I'm trying to do and it lenses are the same as new by just washing with water and soap. Hope it's my case because if not I'll be wasting 4-6 good weekend beer hours!! Jejej

BF07 02-21-2014 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eugene3524 (Post 978712)

:slapfight:

No, do NOT clean the inside of your lens with any solution. People have reported plenty of issues, particularly scratches, even just using a dry micro-fiber cloth.

As far as using a cleaning agent, I would highly advise against that. I've seen plenty of issues over on hidplanet.com where the solution destroyed the inside of the lens or created what looks like condensation, but turned out to be some type of gas that was caused from the heat of the light. Either way, be careful with whatever route you decide...

b_vs 02-21-2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BF07 (Post 979588)
:slapfight: No, do NOT clean the inside of your lens with any solution. People have reported plenty of issues, particularly scratches, even just using a dry micro-fiber cloth. As far as using a cleaning agent, I would highly advise against that. I've seen plenty of issues over on hidplanet.com where the solution destroyed the inside of the lens or created what looks like condensation, but turned out to be some type of gas that was caused from the heat of the light. Either way, be careful with whatever route you decide...

thanks for that, I was just planning to use water an a neutro soap. Hope that don't cause any issue you mention about.