Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Looking for a Jeep...confused (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/looking-for-a-jeep-confused-71889.html)

Unobtanium 02-19-2014 05:32 AM

Looking for a Jeep...confused

I have found a 2010, and on the back it says "Hemi" on the right, and on the left "4x4" and under that "Limited".

Yet I see no "Trail-Rated" badge on the fender, and can see both fenders in pictures.

I thought the V8+4x4 ALWAYS got the Trailrated badge. Help?

bill_de 02-19-2014 07:37 AM

Re: Looking for a Jeep...confused

[QUOTE=Unobtanium;978453]I have found a 2010, and on the back it says "Hemi" on the right, and on the left "4x4" and under that "Limited".

Yet I see no "Trail-Rated" badge on the fender, and can see both fenders in pictures.

I thought the V8+4x4 ALWAYS got the Trailrated badge. Help?[/QUOTE]

There is more to Trailrated than 4 wheel drive. Having a Hemi has nothing to do with it. The most obvious addition for the trail rating is skid plates.

---

Unobtanium 02-19-2014 08:21 AM

Maybe I misread the .pdf, but I thought all of them had those with the AWD transmission. I am seeing more and more of them without the badge, so you must be right.

Unobtanium 02-19-2014 08:31 AM

Are skidplates a MUST? Are they cheap and easily retrofitted? I don't plan on rock-climbing. Honestly it will be a mall crawler + snow + a bit of mud and some rocky creek-beds maybe. Nothing too extreme.

bill_de 02-19-2014 08:48 AM

Hard to answer not knowing how rocky those creek beds are. If you are talking about gravel, with no boulders you need to climb over it should be no problem. You sure don't need skid plates for snow.

My guess is that as Jeeps got a little fancier over the years only a small percentage go where skid plates are needed. So, more and more Jeeps don't get them.

You can add them yourself if you want to.

---

Unobtanium 02-19-2014 08:59 AM

I honestly doubt I would ever use them. The only vehicle I have "scraped" in is my 370Z on the driveway to the property I bought. It happens with 4.X" of ground clearance and a larger diameter exhaust. I know for fact that a GJC would be fine, though.

WK2OverlandII 02-19-2014 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unobtanium (Post 978453)
I have found a 2010, and on the back it says "Hemi" on the right, and on the left "4x4" and under that "Limited".

I thought the V8+4x4 ALWAYS got the Trailrated badge. Help?

For a Jeep to be "Trail Rated" it has to have a "Low Range" transfer case.

Unobtanium 02-19-2014 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WK2OverlandII (Post 978512)
For a Jeep to be "Trail Rated" it has to have a "Low Range" transfer case.

So it must have the Quadra Drive II? Quadra Track II does not count?

WK2OverlandII 02-19-2014 09:55 AM

No, it doesn't have to have Quadra-Drive (that's the Electronic limited Slip deferential (ELSD) in the rear axle) only Quadra-Trac transfer case which is with the low range transfer case.

Unobtanium 02-19-2014 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WK2OverlandII (Post 978528)
No, it doesn't have to have Quadra-Drive (that's the Electronic limited Slip deferential (ELSD) in the rear axle) only Quadra-Trac transfer case which is with the low range transfer case.

So it needs that AND the skidplates. Limited's only come with the Quadra-Track II and Quadra-Drive II (optional) with the 5.7L. So this one I am looking at must be minus the skid-plates?

WK2OverlandII 02-19-2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unobtanium (Post 978531)
So it needs that AND the skidplates. Limited's only come with the Quadra-Track II and Quadra-Drive II (optional) with the 5.7L. So this one I am looking at must be minus the skid-plates?

I have all (QD, QT and skid plates) and mine is a Diesel. They came with the Off Road II package and it also has the skid plates. To the best of my knowledge the skid plates only come with the Off-Road I or II packages. However, you could add them after purchase if you wanted to.

Unobtanium 02-19-2014 11:15 AM

Well, it has the Quadra-Drive II, but is missing all skid-plates except the one that goes over the transfer case. The dealership called me and looked at it. Seeing if we can come to terms on numbers, and this may be the beastie for me!